1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Eastern Sierra campgrounds?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by lmonsanto, Jun 5, 2004.

1. lmonsanto

lmonsanto MotoTurista

Oddometer:
    I'm taking off next week from San Francisco and riding down Hwy 25/198 then over to 395 via Lake Isabella. I plan to head north on 395 and explore all the side roads heading up into the Sierra (Whitney Portal, Rock Creek, June Lake loop, etc.) Any suggestions for great campgrounds in the Eastern Sierra? I'm thinking spectacular views, no crowds, no mosquitos [​IMG] How about good places to eat?
  2. Bubba

Bubba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Checkout Buckeye campground off 395 near the town Of Bridgeport, there should be no crowds and there's a natural hotspring within walking distance of the campground.
    Andrew likes this.
  3. Caribou Aqua Buddha

Caribou Aqua Buddha Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stayed at one of those campgrounds west of Big Pine, at or near the end of the road, very pretty up there.
    Bentspoke
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall The Wild

Oddometer:
    I live just north of Bishop, if you PM me with contact info I can let you know where you can camp in relation to where you are riding. Thier are to many to list.
  5. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the mex food place on the West side of the road at the North end of Bishop? Los Amigos? Best enchiladas I've ever had! They had cranberry and mango on them.
  6. thebeeez

thebeeez Foothill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    YUK

Isn't that something like an oxymoron?
    I'll be in Bishop on Sat nite but don't think I'll be having that.
  7. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
    It didn't sound good to me either but I'll try anything once so....Glad I did. They're awesome! :thumb
  8. Dick

Dick Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer:
  9. Stonewall

Stonewall The Wild

Oddometer:
    If it is on the west side of 395 at the north end of town it must be the Pettit Pantry. The owner, Jay, has a full Mex and Gringo menu. He also has two all you can it iteams every day of the week. If it is Saturday night I recomend the $9.95 prime rib dinner at Toms Place. Great food, full bar, and a great ride to & from, no matter where you are going.

Stonewall
  10. gdm

gdm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amigo's
  11. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So much open free camping in Owens Valley... plus the campsites up the canyons.
  12. FJKai

FJKai Off Road Lurker

Oddometer:
    Taqueria Las Palmas is the bomb in Bishop for good mexican food! East side of 395 on E. Line Street.
  13. RandyM

RandyM Less talk, More ride

Oddometer:
    Check fall color reports, although most aspens have probably shed their leaves by now, there may still be a some good spots.

"Movie road" in the Alabama hills, off Whitney portal road is an easy dirt road. Lots of places to camp, some scenic spots. A lot of old Hollywood movies were filmed in the Albama hills. There is a trail that goes to a couple small rock arches that are bucket list photo opportunities for amateur landscape photographers (best at sunrise). Free primitive camping off movie road in the Alabama hills or there is a real campground there also.

Fossil falls along hwy 395 is worth taking a look, there is some interesting rock erosion at the fossils falls site, although no actual waterfall under normal circumstances. There is also a campground at fossil falls, very basic, not sure if they have any toilets there.
    el Pete likes this.
  14. pwh

pwh Just Farkin' GO

Oddometer:
    15 years later!!
    dyvking and kokemill like this.
  15. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    Hope he’s not still out there
  16. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really. Much of the land in the Owens is still owned by LA DWP, and a couple decades ago they put up a bunch of signs. Glad I don't know how to read! :D
  17. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You make my point for me, thank you.