eastern UP and Algoma district

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by luftkoph, Sep 5, 2016.

1. luftkoph

luftkoph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since I've enjoyed reading other folks travels,whether short or long, I thought I'd try my hand at it, and it might be helpful to anyone wanting to travel this area. I will try to focus on the not so popular places, since they have been covered in the past I'm sure by other people.

So being labor day weekend I thought I'd better take advantage of the nice weather, cause brother it won't be long and it will be another long depressing winter here.
    Fired up the ZRex and headed down to Brim-Cor station for petrol, but twas a bunch of motorcycles hogging up the pumps, oh well down to Rudyard for gas.

Rudyard is named after Rudyard Kipling, he must have been quite the writer to have a huge metropolis like Dryburg to change their towns name to Rudyard, different times different customs. Gassed up and west on H-40

There are a few 90 degree corners on this road I like and around here you take what you can, it's about 50 mile to Engadine on this road,and you go thru cedar swamps, some hayfields and old railroad towns that are long forgotten since mechanized forestry,
    DSCN0222.JPG DSCN0224.JPG stopped here in Rexton for some water, and there is a bit of disagrement around these parts over a limestone mine, talking with folks seems like it boils down to the cottage,cabin,and retirees don't want it but the rest who have to survive in this economically depressed frozen hell hole would like the good paying jobs, and there is a metric shit ton of quarries and mines around here, and a lot of people don't even realize that they are there already. DSCN0221.JPG looks like the beavers are setting up a new starter home, mine or not. DSCN0225.JPG
    Mane, Twisted Chain, Bigbob1 and 6 others like this.
  2. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Once you get to Engadine your at M117, I just go south a mile or so and have to hit the super highway US2 for 6-7 miles then north on H-33 towards Curtis and Manistique lakes.

Curtis is a small vacation village, with a lot of cabins and summer homes, but it wasn't crowded, a fair amount of people but not bad at all for a holiday, but I don't like to hang around towns so just passing thru.

On the north side of the lake you can veer off on 377 Helmer Rd and in afew miles you will see Taylors market, the only reason to point it out is ethanol free hi test

After fueling up I made a left on Ten Curves rd going west towards M77 and Germfask.
    IMG_20160902_143220182_HDR.jpg Manistique river at the boat launch Ten Curves Rd, those leaves are scaring me, they are getting that funky color, and it puts a chill in my soul. DSCN0248.JPG IMG_20160902_152152831.jpg Left Manistique river and back tracked to H33 north to 415 north into McMillan crossing M-28 till the pavement ends at the Tahquamenon river, there is a parking place here, I must of been there a half an hour before a car came by, very quiet and peaceful. DSCN0230.JPG
    Shaggie, drbuzzard, Maky and 3 others like this.
  3. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Left out of McMillan west to Seney and up M-77 to Grand Marais then out west on H-58 stopped for a break here at Grand Sable lake. DSCN0249.JPG DSCN0258.JPG DSCN0253.JPG Another nice quite place off the side of the road,sat under a shade tree and listened to all the cruisers rumbling by, as there were a lot of bikes out and about between Grand Marais and Munising.

I went down close to Munising then short cut to Wetmore and over to M-94,I wanted to takeH-05 AKA the Rapid River Truck Trail down to Rapid River, I thought it was paved the whole way,Wrong again, and my plan was to go over by Iron Mtn. and spend the night, but the Rex does NOT go on gravel roads, so looking at the map I say screw it I'm going to make a semi high speed run back up H-58 then down to Newberry and back up and around to Paradse and get back home before deer time.
  4. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Swamps and bogs north of Newberry on M-123, I find these simple pieces of the environment to be really beautiful. I didn't stop at the Tahquamenon Falls, but if you visit there,I like the lower falls, they seem more intimate, and you can rent a row boat and go out to the island which is surrounded by falls,and if the water is right you can walk behind the waterfall DSCN0237.JPG IMG_20160902_171320396.jpg Following M-123 around south of Paradise, I turn off east on Curley lewis Hwy, stopped at an overlook as the air was very clear and you could see up Whitefish Bay and make out the hills at Batchawana Bay Ont. which is about 40 miles away, maybe more.

And the crowds at the beach, just terrible I hate these holiday weekends its so crowded IMG_20160902_173454845.jpg Back home for some nourishment. IMG_20160902_195935978.jpg
    Yooper11, no, drbuzzard and 5 others like this.
  5. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Pictures from last year at the lower falls P1060808.JPG P1060809.JPG P1060804.JPG P1060807.JPG This last picture here, when I took it i never noticed the bird, I think it's some kind of kingfisher, he's a little guy
    buck12ga, no, drbuzzard and 6 others like this.
  6. MileEater4ever

MileEater4ever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report Doug - love the area (was just up there a week ago running Menominee, Iron Mt, Big Bay, H-58, etc.) God's country!

Sing to the one who rides across the ancient heavens, his mighty voice thundering from the sky. Ps 68:33
  7. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it's nice in the summer here, I've lived all over the country and summers here are about the best of anywhere, except they are short, and winter is long.
  8. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb

We were at out cabin just a couple of miles west of Curtis over the weekend, and ya' didn't even stop in to say hello.
    Blue Mule likes this.
  9. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Dang the invite must have got lost in the mail :thumb
  10. burbansk

burbansk Exit 202 Mio Mad Man

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics. The wife and I love the UP. We ride UP there every chance we get. I can't wait till I retire and move to our place in Mio MI. Then it will only take me 1 hour to get to the bridge and cross over to GOD's country and super highway 2. Bruce Pictures 088.JPG
  11. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    I was going to ride over across the gangplank into Ontario today, but there is a cold front coming with rain and I was not sure when, and then I looked at the bridge cams and traffic was starting to back up a bit, so I ended up on the St. Marys river.

This is a new boat launch at the south end of Neebish cut, thats Neebish Island in the background, the St. Marys flows on both sides of the island, then comes togethe to form Munuscong bay, know for Walleye, Muskies, and northern fishing, and these sick bastards will go out there in the dead of winter, sit on an old plastic bucket all day and night drinking old milwaukees.

DSCN0262.JPG DSCN0265.JPG This is looking over at the north end of Neebish from Dunbar park, what is neat here is between the north and south end is a thing called the Neebish rock cut, it allows ships to down-bound thru the rock cut and up-bound on the other side of the island. I was hoping a big laker would be going thru, but no. And its hard to get a picture because at the rock cut its all private homes, but the channel is so tight they claim that a 1000 footer pushes water up on the lawns. Some day I'll catch one.

I had plans to go dirt bike riding with some chums after they got off work tonight, this is the back door into Raco airfield. DSCN0267.JPG DSCN0268.JPG And there it is a triangle of airstrips 300'x5520' should be enough room to park and unload the bikes. Raco field is from just before WWII, and it never had aircraft here, they had some anti aircraft batteries here, then in the cold war Bomarc super sonic long range anti aircraft missiles, and now its owned by Smithers testing, but they do not care if we use a few ten thousand square feet to unload.
    Bud Tugly and MeanGrnZX6RR like this.
  12. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Big Puuds and his beautiful yet sinister KX 500 DSCN0269.JPG DSCN0270.JPG DSCN0273.JPG coffee break DSCN0274.JPG
    drbuzzard likes this.
  13. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Mike on his crf250 DSCN0277.JPG DSCN0279.JPG He just made it back, not sure if its just a counter shaft seal, or something worse, but it must have got really low on fluid cause the clutch quit just as he got to the trucks, even when a Honda breaks it at least gets you back so you don't have to walk, good thing we would have hated to leave him out in the woods all night, he would have been some bears girlfriend by morning. DSCN0280.JPG Post ride B.S. session. I was this high off the ground, really I was. DSCN0281.JPG Its almost dark time to split.
  14. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    What is this, some plastic money, might as well go spend it eh?.
    Its a nice day so think I'll go over to the land of Horton DSCN0282.JPG DSCN0283.JPG The soo locks on the American side DSCN0284.JPG Algoma steel, they started operations there in 1902, I've been in just about every part of that mill and some places in there are just plain nasty, old and nasty. If Essar Algoma ever shut down this area around here would make Youngstown look a paradise. DSCN0289.JPG I went east out of the Soo on the Trans Canadian Hwy (17) out to Thessalon, then north on 129 to my first break for a knee stretch here at Cummings lake. There are three and a half gizzilion places to get off the highway up here and almost all of it is crown land, just like this nice quite little spot
    drbuzzard, Bud Tugly and GAS GUY like this.
  15. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Another of Cummings lake, I could sit here for awhile and just do nothing, but I'd rather ride while the summer is still hanging on. DSCN0290.JPG DSCN0294.JPG DSCN0295.JPG Thru here 129 follows the Missasagi River, its a bit of a roller coaster road for about 15 miles, a bit bumpy and rough but nice on a bike, I some times have to use this road in the winter when 17 is shut down for weather, much much nicer right now DSCN0298.JPG
    drbuzzard and TheAdmiral like this.
  16. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Saw this little wood and steel bridge over the Missasagi, just went to the other side and did a U turn, to rocky and sandy for Zrex.

Went up to the Aubrey falls trading post and got some more motion lotion in the tank, did not look at the price, don't want to know, sometimes ignorance is bliss. I did go in and chat with the owner and have a cup of coffee, It was cooling off a bit with the clouds thick up and getting darker, you just can't trust the weather around here this time of year, so put a fleece pull over on under my jacket and header back homebound. DSCN0300.JPG DSCN0301.JPG DSCN0313.JPG You can see a freighter upbound into lake Superior in the center of the picture DSCN0315.JPG Back safe in the barn
    drbuzzard, Bud Tugly and PFD023 like this.
  17. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shhh!

Don't tell anyone, but there is some awesome trout fishing in the Missasagi River. Brookies (aka spec's) and rainbows.
  18. tedmarshall

tedmarshall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great stuff and fotos.
  19. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    I didn't see anyone fishing, hell I hardly saw any people.
  20. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, doncha just gotta love da Up, eh?