eastern UP and Algoma district

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by luftkoph, Sep 5, 2016.

1. luftkoph

luftkoph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Long winters do things to me, you get thinking of warm breezes, the sound song birds instead of just the cawing of ravens and the screeching of eagles, green grass, hell just to finally see the ground that's been covered since the 1st week of Nov.

This is the type of thing winter does to me, a couple weeks ago I drove a 600 mile round trip to lower Mi and drag this home.
    Dang thing won't even fit in the back of an 8' bed IMG_20190406_153522100.jpg

Get her in the garage and wait for some nice weather

IMG_20190406_181306534.jpg

Not sure about this thing, I've never owned a bike with this much mass, the closest was a GT 750 Suzuki, and this is close to 200 lbs heavier.

Clean it up a bit maybe that will take a couple ounces off the scale.

IMG_20190415_155536160.jpg
  2. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Saturday the 20th we hit 60 degrees, first time since sometime last October, or so say the weather dude on the tube.

I have to be honest this is really weird bike for me to ride, the front sort of falls into the turns at low speed, but at faster speed you really have to push, I mean a real concentrated push on the bars to keep it turning, it goes in a straight line like it's on rails.

The motor is nice pulls strong in any gear, even at low rpm no herky jerky, brakes are meh I'll have to look into that, scraped a peg on the second curve I came to, have to recalibrate my speeds I guess.

Felt strange riding behind that big windshield, I think it's to high it's right below eye line, Like just below a smidge, although when I got down to the ice cold Superior, the calm air was nice.

IMG_20190420_134853774.jpg

Still plenty of ice on the big lake at Whitefish Bay.

IMG_20190420_134635520_HDR.jpg

Still a lot of snow in the woods, might be a bit before you can get down any trails, plus when peering into the woods I saw a lot of fallen timber across the trails

IMG_20190420_140712640.jpg
    drbuzzard, Shaggie, moe.ron and 2 others like this.
  3. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang how did you get the mighty Valk in your truck? That could be fun :clap
    I have had lots of Wings but never a Valk, several buddies had them and your correct about the slow speed handling. Enjoy!
    drbuzzard and GAS GUY like this.
  4. luftkoph

Oddometer:

I have some 10' folding ramps that are 48" wide
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  5. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Since I like to procrastinate thought I'd better jump on this maintenance crap because I might ride the Nordic Goddess in 2 weeks to Fla for my annual pilgrimage home to visit family.
    Something about splines and pinion cups need some kind of moly paste. Cleaned up all the offending parts,,just a side note here, jeez the wheel on this thing must weigh 150 pounds I think I dropped a nut getting it all lined up and put back on.

All the mating parts looked virginistic.

DSCN0890.JPG

DSCN0897.JPG

Slathered a little bacon grease on everything, should be good to go, also installed pretty red O rings, plastic thrust washer and dust seal DSCN0898.JPG
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  6. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Looks like total chaos in here, trust me I think I know what I'm doing.

IMG_20190427_200723440.jpg

So the Clymer manual for my beloved KLR says you should check valve clearance every once in a while, so if it's good enough for the KLR must be ok for a Honda.

Got the belts tightened up like guitar strings

DSCN0905.JPG

Too many to check, good thing it's not one of them shim and bucket 4 valve high performance motors like the KLR, I'd been all night working on it

IMG_20190428_145044155.jpg
    Bultaco206, Bigbob1 and Shaggie like this.
  7. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    If I take the bike in two weeks my goal is to ride the whole way with out setting a tire on the interstate, except the Mackinac bridge, kinda hard to navigate around that one, unless, well no, it's too far out of the way no matter how you try to do it. I believe that the GPS may be left at home this time, not sure yet, and I still would have to wire it up, remember that part about procrastination?

The loose plan is M-33 then jump over to M-52 and then into Ohio, then angle East by southeast to Sharpsburg Md, to see some chums, then down to Harrisonburg Va. to do the same, then a slow easy ride down the Parkway, last year I took 441 most of the length of Ga., think maybe a little shift to the east and work Hwy 17 and 1

The difficult part of this is Michigan and Georgia, they are pretty much the same to me, mostly flat and boring, it's just hotter in Georgia, but once I cross the Fla line everything seems right in my little world.
    moe.ron, Bigbob1 and Shaggie like this.
  8. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like your keeping busy. Yup, moly 60 lube for that rascal.
  9. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    I need to get out more often. As in lurk in other forums on ADVrider than my usual stops.

Great thread!

I love the UP, esp the eastern (less popular-ated) half.

I have an October pilgrimage every year and ride the Kingston plains area and east to WFP. So much to explore yet so little time.

I run a lot of cannons upat tracks and have wanted to get from 500 to the N Wide Water Rd/W Farm Truck Rd areas via 506 but a few years ago I recall turning around after seeing some signs warning of a private drive/road. I didn't want to press my luck so I jumped back down to pavement/123. Is it possible to take this road (or another) through?

A good sand test area is Wildcat Rd just east of WFP. :evil
    [​IMG]
    Bultaco206 and TheAdmiral like this.
  10. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a couple of routes across there....

506 (aka Betsy Tower Road) is one way. A bit sandy and can be wet at times.

There are also a myriad of two tracks a bit north of there. You go up towards Crisp Point, but then keep heading east when the road turns due north. The snowmobile trail runs through there...should be able to follow the signs for it.
    WIsixfitty likes this.
  11. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:

I thought I saw the "no trespassing" signs on Betsy Tower Rd. It looks like it goes right through on the map. I'll check again this summer/fall. At the time my 640 had enough gas to do that, now my 500 with only 4 gallons is pushing it with out a run down to Gene's for some gas.
  12. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not been thru that way in a few years now...but it has always been a public road the whole way as long as I have been driving it (the past 30+ years).

A lot of times new property owners will put up no trespassing signs on both sides of the road, and have them facing the oncoming traffic. Looks like it is a private road when it's not.
    WIsixfitty likes this.
  13. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:

Yeah that might be the case. I've seen that in WI too.

Thanks.
  14. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Well so much for my plans, lousy weather and cold don't make me happy when I ride, it was 26 this morning a 4:00 and a chance of rain, screw that.
    I loaded the bike in the old Ford and headed to Bay City area where the company has a yard, unloaded there and hit I 75 US23 and around tooleedo made it to the slippery 8 in Wooster Ohio, tommorow the good stuff starts going to try to get to Sharpsburg MD, won't have time for pictures
    Senic Wooster 15580516941431141246976.jpg
    Bigbob1 and GAS GUY like this.
  15. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you getting out there and riding, Doug; it's been a long winter. How are you liking that big Valk ? Are you going to run State Route 800 down to Fly ?
  16. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    That was my route, but the weather may blow me in another direction,
    Going to scarf down some delicious super 8 continental breakfast and see what the radar looks like, might go across south side pa.
  17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Where you at ?
  18. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Sat. I was in Sharpsburg MD, had some starter button issues, fixed at a buddy's house, I'm in massanutten va now still button issues, leaving here tomorrow headed south on brp IMG_20190518_123005474.jpg
    moe.ron, GAS GUY and Bigbob1 like this.
  19. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    I'll be in Hot Springs, NC tomorrow night if you're in the vicinity.
  20. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Trying to make asheville tonight, not much time to waste have to get to chiefland FLA post haste