eastern UP and Algoma district

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by luftkoph, Sep 5, 2016.

1. luftkoph

luftkoph Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since I had the swing arm off thought I'd clean and lube the final drive and transmission output shaft, replace the O rings with redeyes O rings, and use the good lube on it.

IMG_20200405_143519054.jpg

For such a large bike there ain't much room under the tank and seat, and I wanted to run the headlight through relays instead of through the starter button,since that's a point of fail on these bikes, so this is what I came up with.

IMG_20200412_143058207.jpg

IMG_20200409_153304037.jpg

IMG_20200410_151733828.jpg
    B10Dave and GAS GUY like this.
  2. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Never have trusted those vacuum petcocks since the first one I remember on my GS, no not that German thing, the mighty all conquering from Hamamatsu Japan,the Suzuki GS and replaced it with one from the land of cheese and old style.
    IMG_20200426_125424701.jpg

A friend of mine has a powder coating business and the saddlebag heat guards where getting a little scruffy, so he did the guards and the pass. peg mounts,kind of frivolous since you can't really see them, like diamonds on the soles of her shoes IMG_20200424_151717099_HDR.jpg

Almost finished, and no where to go, planed on going to Fla. again in May and Mid Ohio come July, oh well Que Sera Sera suppose that will just mean more KLR time, and maybe some projects around hear that I loath to do.

IMG_20200412_143706606_HDR.jpg
    Bigbob1, B10Dave and GAS GUY like this.
  3. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    You are doing some really nice work, Doug. Fantastic documentation also. As a wrench, I can really appreciate it. Do you have some rides planned for the KLR this year?
  4. luftkoph

Oddometer:

Thanks Jeff,nothing special planed just tooling around the area here,crossing the border is out right now ,essential only.
    I pulled the KLR and 450x out of the house yesterday and put the fuel tanks on but didn’t start them yet.
    Not sure what the woods will be like after the New Year’s Day ice storm,it really ravaged the trees around here,as of two days ago there was still deep snow in the shaded areas of the woods,this steady two days of rain may disperse a lot of it
    GAS GUY likes this.
  5. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    I finally got out to ride a little bit on the klr to check on the trails, it's bad tress down everywhere, I believe some of them will never be used again, sure the snow machine and the atv freeways are cleared but the off the beaten track ones, not so much, anyone want to buy a 450X☹️ KIMG0005.JPG Every where you turn it's like this or worse. KIMG0004.JPG
    drbuzzard and gpfan like this.
  6. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Raco ccc camp 1932-1942 not much of it left, just a few foundations and odd concrete KIMG0009.JPG KIMG0008.JPG KIMG0007.JPG KIMG0006.JPG
  7. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Avery lake, I didn't hang around there long, the mosquitoes almost dragged me into the woods, lucky the klr started right away and I got outta there before their reinforcements came KIMG0011.JPG KIMG0010.JPG
  8. Sned

Sned Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are the black flies done? They were nasty a few weeks ago?
  9. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I walk a lot of trails up here and all winter I carry a folding saw because of the snow load causing the trees to bend over just like your pictures. On some hikes I cut 6-12 trees and it keeps the trail open. Maybe pack a saw on your ride? This one is cheep and cuts through trees like butter.
    saw.jpg
  10. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, it's good to see you posting picture with out any snow... finally.
  11. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Didn’t see any,just skeeters
    gpfan likes this.
  12. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    I’d spend the rest of eternity trying to cleanup all the downed trees, we had 36 hours of freezing rain on New Years,it really wrecked havoc in the woods and power lines.
    gpfan and Bigbob1 like this.
  13. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Waiting for it's new owner, I've barely rode it in the last 2 or 3 years so time to let it go. A friend asked me if I miss it already, I told him it's not the bike I miss so much, but the kind of riding and camaraderie that I had with it. But it was a good reliable, and fun bike.

IMG_20200624_155815372_HDR.jpg

Farewell old friend IMG_20200624_164346221.jpg

Today I wanted to see how far up this road I could get, I was there last year but turned around for some reason that I can't remember why.
    It's called Quinlan trail, it starts at the junction of West East-West Rd and Hulbert Rd.

At the junction

IMG_20200627_154411778_HDR.jpg

Straight west of Timberlost is my destination.

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 9.07.37 PM.png

Right where that big bend in the road, that is as far as I could go.

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 9.10.14 PM.png

along the way a little mud and sand

DSCN1023.JPG
    DSCN1022.JPG

Damn Beaver dam DSCN1026.JPG
    DSCN1029.JPG
    Put a new Tusk dual sport tire on the front, and it gets my approval, in fact I like it better than the Shinko fatty that was on before it.
    Last year I cut vertical grooves in the rear Shinko 805, that's helped where before in mud it would easily go sideways, lot better now

DSCN1027.JPG

DSCN1028.JPG

Close but no cigar, there's a lot of hunting cabins and clubs I suppose in this area, and they own large tracts of land.

DSCN1021.JPG
    The breast cancer tree is looking a little shabby this year

DSCN1030.JPG

Back on the Richardson-Avery freeway to the house

DSCN1032.JPG
    B10Dave, Sned, TheAdmiral and 5 others like this.
  14. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The KLR looks to be serving you well. Are you bonding with it?
  15. luftkoph

Oddometer:

yes I like the simple pleasures of just Gravel/ dirt cruising, nor do I feel the need to do a bunch of modifications, all I’ve done was what I felt a few shortcomings, the abysmal front brake, surging at steady throttle and a weak rear spring.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  16. RockBreaker

RockBreaker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Athens, TN...The best riding area ever!!!
    When I was a kid living in the yoop Betsy Lake was a mystery lost lake, their was talk of it but the only person we ever knew that had seen it was my uncle Cecil, he had taken a canoe in from the smaller lake and found a way thru the swamp between them. Many years later my brother and I tried to get onto it and it had become to overgrown to find a way across. Then several years later my brother was bound and determined to get on it so he took a weeks vacation just for the chance to see and fish this lost lake, by then much to his disappointment their were roads all into it and cabins on its shore....
  17. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    That’s funny, paradise lost and all, you know how it is some of these lakes are really sort of a swampy bog,and come and go with water level changes.
  18. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! It's neat finding ponds and places like this.

[​IMG]
    luftkoph likes this.
  19. Sned

Sned Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You were pretty close to the backside of the upper falls!
  20. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Yes it is, but there is a lot of private hunt clubs etc. difficult to get to the river
    gpfan likes this.