eastern UP and Algoma district

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by luftkoph, Sep 5, 2016.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Tazewell! You are in some sweet riding. Twenty-five percent of my ancestry comes from Tazewell - the Presnells.

You have Burke's Garden just up the road, and Route 16 (The Back of the Dragon) just outside of town - heading south down to Marion.

But then ... it's all good down there. Enjoy yourself. If you end up in the vicinity of Elk Park, North Carolina (at some point in your travels) and need somewhere amazing and affordable to stay - check out Mountain View Motorcycle Campground; you wouldn't regret it. They also offer bunks instead of camping. It's on the Tennessee and North Carolina border near Roan Mountain and north of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Just up the road from Mountain View is Smoky Mountain Bakers for breakfast.
    luftkoph and B10Dave like this.
  2. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Couldn't leave tazwell till about 8:00 on account for the fog, took hwy 16 down to Marion VA. and that's where Tim and I had to part ways as he had to get back to ky for a ill relative, and I had to keep moving south and try to avoid any potential weather issues from Ida.
    IMG_20210828_090356587_HDR.jpg

My old friend Tim
    IMG_20210828_083210558.jpg

Obligatory picture
    IMG_20210828_090546071.jpg
    Now down into the heat and humidity of Georgia, lucky me south of Macon I hit some of the outer bands of Ida, not heavy but refreshing, I'd close the baker airwings to keep my lower legs dry, boots are waterproof, so a bit of rain on the arms and hands feel great,
    Made it to Adel ga. 501 miles in 11 hours, I need a/c and a cool shower.
    gpfan, GAS GUY, Shaggie and 1 other person like this.
  3. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Easy day today, nice Sunday ride, especially down the north Florida two lanes, with a little over cast made the temps nice.
    I'm going to spend a week here in Chiefland and the head back home, not sure which way I'll go, we'll see what the weather holds in store.

Blue dot is where I be, Screenshot_20210829-114155.png
    gpfan, xcsks, GAS GUY and 1 other person like this.
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you out enjoying the open road! How are you liking the Valk?
  5. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Yup, I've made some improvements since my last trip down here, ultimate big boy seat,rifle fork mount air deflectors, mra xcreen, bitubo shocks, progressive springs, home made flat rack with givi too box, brakeaway throttle lock and two things that have done more for me being comfortable is a beadrider seat cover and the moto jug, having ice cold water all day is great.
    The bike itself is running fine, I've met a couple riders this trip that were on newer bikes and had Valkyries in the past and they say it was the best bike they'd ever had, it has such a wide usable poweband, and for a 800+ lb. bike is quite nimble on tight roads and with a chassis and suspension that doesn't flex and weave no matter the lean or the bumps, better fuel milage and a 6th gear would be nice though
  6. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    IMG_20210831_104821715_HDR.jpg
    Out and about today around Fanning Springs, it was warm but a nice breeze was blowing.

Site of an old fort on the Suwanee.
    IMG_20210831_105115828_HDR.jpg

The river is up and flowing fast
    IMG_20210831_105154053_HDR.jpg
    gpfan and B10Dave like this.
  7. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    One of the steel spans from the old bridge, in 1934 it was the southern most crossing of the Suwanee, it combined 4 spans to reach across the river, it was such a big deal that folks came from communities all around to celebrate and have a square dance on the bridge.

IMG_20210831_115322843.jpg

Inside of Fanning Springs State Park

IMG_20210831_112320921.jpg
    gpfan, B10Dave and GAS GUY like this.
  8. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Last day in FLA be pulling out in the morning.
    We went to lower Suwannee refuge this morning, saw two small alligator, a giant egret catch a fish and eat it, and this dude in the road.
    IMG_20210905_115047678.jpg

IMG_20210905_115124003.jpg

Cotton mouth
    B10Dave, gpfan and GAS GUY like this.
  9. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Dad says he needs to wash his truck, but hey it's better than rust.
    IMG_20210905_091704926_HDR.jpg

This lizard lives and rides around on the truck, when the speed goes to high he goes off the hood under the fender or between the windshield and the hood.

IMG_20210905_110024421.jpg
    B10Dave and gpfan like this.
  10. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    I've past by this motel in Franklin nc many times, it always looks spotless, well today the mileage and plans for tomorrow lined up perfectly. It didn't disappoint, old style pull up to your door, cleaner than anyplace I've been in a long time, I called ahead and when I got to my room a light was on, so was the a/c and the tv. Carolina motel Franklin nc IMG_20210906_181019209_HDR.jpg
    GAS GUY, xcsks, Bigbob1 and 2 others like this.
  11. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Coffee and gas station biscuits on the veranda this morning, letting the mist/ fog dry off.
    IMG_20210906_191031094.jpg

Never stopped before to take this snapshot, everyone else does, might as well join in.

In and out of the cloud's from mp 440 to mp 335, visitor center at Linn Cove viaduct was closed.
    IMG_20210907_101707465.jpg

Grandfather Mt. Nc.

IMG_20210907_134603111.jpg

Can't remember where this was VA or NC

IMG_20210907_152803049_HDR.jpg

Haven't gotten wet yet, but tomorrow across WVA looks iffy.
    Bigbob1, B10Dave, gpfan and 1 other person like this.
  12. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Your Valk is looking well prepped for travel. Looks like you even have some vintage Piaa 910's hanging from the crashbars.
    B10Dave likes this.
  13. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    You know what, they are piaa but I don't know the #, the guy I got them from said they where on a police BMW moto, I put 35w bulbs and yellow film on them, looking for something to catch the eye not light up the road, amber always seems to get my attention when driving, where as LED just blends in, looking like reflected sunlight, maybe that's just my brain conditioned to incandescent.
    B10Dave and gpfan like this.
  14. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Peeled the sheets off at the slippery 8 in Bedford VA and on the road at 7:45
    Cold front coming thru, so not going to ride the Pkwy to the end, jumping off at Buena Vista rt.60w, the further that front comes east the stronger the storms will be with the atmosphere heating up.

Last stop on the Pkwy and take in the view, I spent a lot of my formative years in this part of the country, so I always stop and take a good long look and soak it in before I turn to the northwest. Need to try and make time, but you can't really make good time on these VA and WVA back roads.
    IMG_20210908_083941208_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210908_083904135_HDR.jpg

Zig zaging north west across the mountain state the sky started looking a bit dark, stopped in glennville to look at the radar, of course not enough signal to get an accurate picture, and in these hills you can't really get a good look at the sky, ah rain jacket and aerostich triple digit gloves ought to be good , too warm to put on rain pants.

Yeah that was a good choice, 1 mile latter the heavens opened up, along with a sizzling lightning strike, and with muddy rivers of water running across the road,who could ask for more fun than this.

It was a long day 12 hours of mostly mountain roads, made it to Wooster Ohio, so today will be slab city just like when coming back from mid Ohio every year,.
    Lower Mich and lower ga. have a lot in common, I loath travel through either, the only difference is Georgia is hotter, but to get to my destination at both ends thru these two I must go.
    Bigbob1, gpfan, B10Dave and 1 other person like this.
  15. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Wasn’t too terrible US30, 15, I75. US223, US127 then I75 again to finish it up, 9 1/2 hours and a lot cooler than I’ve been used to for awhile, had to put a rain jacket on to keep warm.

3703 miles, 300 and some odd dollars in gasoline and misc. food, 7 nites in a motel should have enough points on my card to cover that, plus a little over a hundred in cash spent, most of that was for nutritional gas station food, only ate thrice in a sit down restaurant, and the further south I went the opportunity for a restaurant became less, no biggie I was trying to avoid people anyway. Valk used zero oil or coolant, and the fan only came on once in a construction delay, bridgestones did good with little tread wear. Lucky no close calls with 4 wheelers, but damn those deer, almost t-boned a good size fawn on US33 in WVA. Bike was filthy dirty from those wet mountain roads, took half of Saturday too get it clean again.

From the time I was in my early teens till 36 years old I’ve lived most of that time in the southeast, until moving to the UP 28 years ago, it might have been one of the best things I’ve ever done, for so many reasons, that I won’t even mention them, even in that part of Florida I don’t think I could tolerate it anymore after living here this long. Could be I look at the past with rose colored glasses, and reality doesn’t quite stack up.

1DDAA0F1-42B7-4639-B23C-0E640DFE1A82.jpeg
    xcsks, gpfan, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  16. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    What Bob said.