eastern UP and Algoma district

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by luftkoph, Sep 5, 2016.

1. luftkoph

luftkoph Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    CN rail still serves the U.P., it comes into a siding at the old Kincheloe AFB, then into 4, 30K tanks.

On Drummond there is Lowes Bottle Gas, a real mom and pop operation, not many of those types left, they all seam to get bought up buy the big guys, Jack Lowe is quite a character, positively old school if there ever was.

I keep saying I'm going to take the old 450X over and ride some of the trails, I should check them out, but I see a lot of jeeps and quads when I deliver of there in the summer, so I'm a bit skeptical.

You probably rode the III, they have a bigger one now the IV.

DRUMMOND ISLANDER IV
    • General
      • Vessel Name : DRUMMOND ISLANDER IV
      • Operator : EASTERN UPPER PENINSULA TRANSIT AUTHORITY
      • Ships Type (ICST) : Other Carriers (Specialized)
      • Vessel Type : Ferry
      • Construction : Steel
    • Engine
      • Horsepower rating : 1920
      • STATE : MI
    • Capacity
      • Net Tonnage : 65
      • Full Load Capacity : 570 Short ton
      • Type of Cargo : Autos vehicles trailers
      • Passenger Capacity : 131
    • Size
      • Register length : 148 Feet
      • Regular Breadth : 40 Feet
      • Overall Length : 148 Feet
      • Overall Breadt : 40 Feet
      • Load draft : 7.9 Feet
      • Light Draft : 6.9 Feet
      • Height : 36.5 Feet
    • Other
      • Year : 2000
      • EQUIP1 : NONE
      • Coast Guard Number : 1101330
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  2. luftkoph

Oddometer:

I lived if FLA as a teenager, Dunedin specifically, I miss the sweltering heat sometimes, this past summer I built a garage and it was hot for around here for a few weeks, like high 80's and it was cloudless, long daylight hours and the sun is high in the sky, my neighbors would say how can you stand that heat on that roof? ( white metal roof) I tell them you'd better suck up all the heat you can you pasty skinned yankee, winter will be here soon.
    Twisted Chain likes this.
  3. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, I was told by family that the tracks were all pulled. That must just be around St. Ignace.
    I would hope they replaced that old ferry, it was about 45 years ago when I last rode it.
    Seeing Clyde's made my mouth drool...... Big C with the works!
    luftkoph likes this.
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    luftkoph; interesting pics and choice of subjects for this time of year. How old is your truck. Is the shift knob a replica or did it come with that style. I have not seen or used that style of knob on a Fuller since the early 70's. You must have a fair amount of HP to only need an 8 over. Last truck I drove before retirement was a tri axle dump with pony that grossed 116,000 lbs. and it had an 18 spd. Fuller.
  5. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    It's an old 13 speed shift knob that's in my beat up old chevy S10. I have never cared for these new shift knobs that they started using in the late 70's early 80's. Work truck is a 14 liter Detoilet Diesel, 13spd with 4.10 full locking rears, can't go over 144,000 lbs because I'm kinda bridge locked here, big mac to the south with a 72 ton limit and the International to the north, same limit.
    Shaggie and B10Dave like this.
  6. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Two Ice breakers working from the Soo locks out towards lake Superior, another30-45 days and maybe I can get the bikes out.
    tedmarshall and Bigbob1 like this.
  7. tedmarshall

tedmarshall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Luft: my son and I rode our enduros on the Drummond trails abut 7 years ago. Memorable. There's more single track than we expected. No one around. I mean no one. Good camping. Good eats. Lots of technical rock to ride.
    Ted
  8. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can get over there this summer, made two trips there this week, and have two more for next week.

CG Biscayne Bay working the DeTour Passage today.

A lot of grinding and crunchy noises again, the boat moves side to side and fore to aft in a jerky fashion when it hits the ice. DSCN0280.JPG DSCN0274.JPG DSCN0279.JPG DSCN0281.JPG

The little dot in the center of the two land masses is the DeTour reef lighthouse.
    Yooper11, Shaggie, TheAdmiral and 3 others like this.
  9. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, pretty neat photo's!
  10. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Finally going to be able to get the bikes out soon, I shoveled, scraped, and plowed a path thru the snow Saturday, now let mother nature handle the rest.

Spooned on some Bridgestone T30 Evo's, I've mostly run Dunlops since the ole TT100 days, but the price on these where hard to beat, plus they came with a $50 gift card, the roadsmart II that they replace had 8000 miles on the rear, going to be hard to top that, we shall see.

Final inspection by lead mechanic Gus, little prick always finds something I've done wrong.
    P1070151.JPG My weapons of choice, the little ones I've had since a teenager, some of these low profile tires can be a bit of a bugger tho. P1070157.JPG New brake lines (Galfer), and the rex is going full naked this year, thanks to a cira 2000 zr7 headlight and mount, all Kawasaki parts that bolt right up. P1070153.JPG Mounted up the trusty SW mototech racks, set up for Givi monokey hard bags. P1070154.JPG
    Shaggie, Bigbob1 and GAS GUY like this.
  11. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure I've got the ZZR alternator hooked up the way I want now, found a nice cap for the output lead at NAPA, the exciter lead runs off the stock plug, but the output is 10GA. marine wire with crimped, and soldered connections , along with a maxi-fuse holder with a 50amp fuse going straight to the hot leg of the starter relay, this instead of going thru the fuse box, AKA junction box, a common weakness in some Kawasaki's.

I hear thunder out, :clap and this morning I heard Sandhill cranes, old man winter is about to get his ass kicked out of here. DSCN0236.JPG DSCN0233.JPG DSCN0235.JPG P1070152.JPG

Sumbitch, I knew he'd nit pick and find something.
    Shaggie, Bigbob1, GAS GUY and 2 others like this.
  12. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Looking good. That's a nice inspector you have. Spooning tires on in a cold climate can age a guy, get them warm and pliable. Don't want to rub it in but we have been riding for a few weeks :-)
  13. luftkoph

Oddometer:

Yes sir I do warm them up, using a propane salamander, and Yamaha tire mount lube.

Good to get out after winter ain't? People who don't live where winter is a occupation, not just another season can not appreciate summer the same way, I spent most of my life in the southeast till I moved here, and I look at summer with a whole different view now.
    Some will never feel the joy of the sound of the sandhill crane when they return along with the song birds, after 6 months of hearing only Ravens and crows, or the first night you can leave the windows open, and the frogs are so loud you can barely get to sleep, but by shutting the window you couldn't here them heralding in the summer.

Folks have been out on bikes here for a couple weeks now also, but mine are inside the house and the only way out is on the north side, which gets deep snow drifts. No doubt it will be a few more weeks before the dirty bike gets run, and the snow is out of the woods, and off of the trails.
  14. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Yes the joys of spring in the north country. A month ago we received three feet of snow in a late season storm but its all but melted. The last few days I have been outside with just a hoodie on starting the yard work and when I take a break sitting on the deck listening to the eagles in the tree tops and watching them soar in the thermals. The deer have pretty much eaten our shrubs and trees over the winter and now they get a chance to grow again.

The only negatives are the gravel on the roads and the damn bears will be out soon. Our back yard is the forest that goes on forever. I never used to worry about the bears and I have had many encounters with them over the years but the population of our cul-de-sac has changed. We have gone from no kids to 5 little girls. So "Uncle Bob" is always on watch.
  15. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Broke out of the shackles of snow today, and took the zrex for a little shake down, you know just to make sure nothing was hanging off, falling off, or squirting bodily fluids anyplace, the new alternator is working fine, and the new tires are round and black, so I assume I'm all set and ready to go.

Scouted around to see what some of the trails looked like, and there is still deep snow in the shadows of the woods, no sign of green to be seen as of yet. We are in a high fire danger right now, so maybe in another two weeks the old Honda can rear its ugliness.
    DSCN0305.JPG DSCN0309.JPG DSCN0308.JPG
  16. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Nothing like the first spring ride. Does your face hurt from grinning :-)
  17. luftkoph

Oddometer:

Almost, it sounds stupid but I had trouble going to sleep the night before, knowing what was coming Friday.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  18. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Not at all, sounds normal to me.
  19. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Beautiful day out today, high fifty's, and you couldn't find a cloud with a search warrant.

Gotta watch my speed on these dirt roads, still some snow in patches DSCN0311.JPG Biscuit creek, Tannin laden, looks like tea DSCN0314.JPG some trees I could get over, like these pecker poles. DSCN0315.JPG others not a chance, I'm not off- roading the rex, those new tires may say touring, but I ain't touring in the mud with this bike. DSCN0312.JPG
    Yooper11 and Shaggie like this.
  20. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    This is a forest service road just in side of Mackinac county, it has a little escarpment in the woods that is easier to see at this time of year.

A few years ago there was a makeshift shelter someone had made in the woods, and you could tell they had been living there,
    then the next time I was back in here the DNR had a bulletin posted on a tree that it had been removed, maybe squatters I don't know, but it always seems strange back in this place, maybe it's because I see little signs that humans have been in here doing something, I don't know, just get a weird feeling.

The North Country Trail runs along this escarpment also.
    DSCN0318.JPG DSCN0317.JPG No idea where this concrete came from, but it's old hand mixed with large aggregate in it. Maybe it was an old witches house. DSCN0319.JPG Bear creek runs at the base of the hill. DSCN0321.JPG
    Shaggie, N-Id-Jim and Twisted Chain like this.