eastern UP and Algoma district

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by luftkoph, Sep 5, 2016.

1. luftkoph

luftkoph Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    DSCN0325.JPG I took a little trip with the Zrex you could say, but there is more to it than that.

DSCN0322.JPG

A gentleman in Indiana decided he would like to buy my beloved rex, so hasty plans were made, and off to Indiana I went.

And with that I've crossed the Rubicon for myself as a Motorcyclist for the last 50 years, this was most likely my last road bike.

I've spent my whole life traveling, even growing up my family was on the go, so taking long trips just don't do it for me anymore, and riding a road bike around here is boring, I mean like bored to tears, type of boredom.

But I still like to ride dirt bikes and have my crf 450x to go out on, and I may look into a DR 650 or 650L to do a little further exploration around here.

Of course I could change my mind next month :lurk
  2. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    I never realized how much money and time I put into a street bike, until I've taken a step back from them this year, so I have been catching up on chores around here that I loath to do, plumbing, flooring, electrical and just your general Harry home owner shit, I would always put it off and go ride or work on the bike.

For some reason I don't dot over dirt bikes like that, well we've had an exceptionally warm fall, temperature records falling everyday, and I could tell the x was feeling a little neglected.

This is the Hendrie river,we used to ride a trace of a trail thru here, then either the dnr or logging covered it up, so I thought I'd try to find it coming from the other direction, a little past here it disappears.
    the water was deeper than I thought and some 4 wheelers put some logs cross ways at the end that I didn't see, yee haw, glad I had my waterproof boots on today DSCN0373.JPG DSCN0376.JPG DSCN0375.JPG
    Shaggie, GAS GUY and Bigbob1 like this.
  3. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Site of an old CCC camp (1935-1937) near Trout Lake, an amazing amount of work was done by them all over the country. My grandfather worked on the Bonneville dam on the Columbia river that was the WPA I believe, no doubt many of these forest roads we ride on were cleared by them DSCN0377.JPG DSCN0378.JPG DSCN0379.JPG DSCN0380.JPG
    Shaggie, GAS GUY, N-Id-Jim and 2 others like this.
  4. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    W. Bobbygay Lake Truck Trail, a fun, wide and sandy road with banked turns, but first I took the south side by-pass around Trout Lake I didn't want to deal with the metropolis of Trout Lake, plus there is always some Davidsons parked at the bar, and lord knows didn't want them to come chase me down and give me a thump'n DSCN0381.JPG DSCN0382.JPG DSCN0385.JPG DSCN0386.JPG , but I made it safe to the gas station put in a gallon and a tenth of high test, grabbed a ice cream bar, and sat down on some milk crates and watched people pump gas for awhile, some folks are puzzled by gas pumps that don't talk to them or don't take a card, what I have to flip this lever, is this 1966 or something.
    Shaggie, Yooper_Bob, N-Id-Jim and 2 others like this.
  5. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    I trailer the bike out here about 20 miles, don't judge me, it saves me from riding the snowmobile trail which is chatter bumped to hell from quads and 4 wheelers, plus I can manage my gasoline resource better.

parking spot by the lake with outhouse and cooking grills, who could ask for more, loaded back up ready to go home, and most likely last ride of the year. DSCN0387.JPG DSCN0388.JPG
  6. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep.. our forecast is for the ice cold grip of winter on our necks next week.... here it comes!
  7. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Hope DNR don't see anyone ford this stream; they are water nazis in Michigan.
  8. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Hey Gas Guy
    There used to be a culvert at that location, it's a USFS road. no idea why the culvert is gone, well it's laying over about 30 feet away in the trees,
    I came around the corner and couldn't stop in a safe manner, so no choice but to carry on.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  9. Gham

Gham past expiration date Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just like me..subscribe to a UP thread in November and then read the first several pages before I say "wait a minute...November 17th??? " Oh wait ,that was last year :lol3 oh well,good stuff anyway :clap
  10. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    I usually procrastinate on starting my 6 month layup, modification and repairs till mid February, when it's well below zero and snows balls deep on a Giraffe, but lookie here I already have the carb off and checked the valve lash and shimmed 1 exhaust and 1 intake.

A couple years ago, I think, maybe, I'm not sure my record keeping isn't so hot, but I did all new bearings, spacers and seals,on the linkage and swingarm, used all balls, not happy they are sloppy already, going to have to spend the extra $ and go all Honda instead of all balls this time. After that re-pack the muffler, and replace the brake light switch.

I promised myself I would not buy another street bike this year, less than 2 months to go and the inner battle rages on. DSCN0482.JPG
  11. Gham

Gham past expiration date Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hear ya on the repairs,I have to wait until all the Christmas decorations are out of the garage and back up in the attic before I have enough room for any kind of maintenance.Some years it's March...
  12. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Well work has finally slowed down some, so I made a little progress on the 450x, I've had this bike for 5 or 6 years and finally I got around to putting some rad guards on, then I splurged on a new fancy clutch lever with a built in hot start lever, I know I know really going big time now. So while I was blowing money on rocky mtn cycle my shopping basket collected some tools I've needed, a couple different counter shaft sprockets, so I have 13 14 15 along with 51 and 49 chain wheels, going to experiment and see if I can make this bike a little more versatile.

Not much clearance on these bikes when you go 1 tooth up an 2 teeth up looks a little dicey, had to shave the factory case saver down for the 14, that orange thing is pointing at the case saver. Those honda case savers are cheap maybe I'll just get one for each size sprocket and grind them accordingly. DSCN0555.JPG DSCN0554.JPG
  13. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Some more things, a buddy had some new DNA rotors from a cr 250 that he didn't need so they ended up on the 450, whenever you have to take the carburetor out that plastic hot start nut is a pain, so that got replaced with a better one. DSCN0556.JPG DSCN0558.JPG DSCN0559.JPG
    Shaggie likes this.
  14. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Greetings from Dubreuilville Ont. as you can see Lake Superior is still a bit covered, I think DSCN0549.JPG DSCN0552.JPG DSCN0536.JPG we are still going to be under Orion's icy sword for another 3-4 weeks
  15. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you survived another UP winter.
  16. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Maybe, not sure, might know in a few weeks.
    This is a fact tho, I loath winter a little more every year.
    TheAdmiral and tommyg like this.
  17. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    I haven't done much riding yet this year, but the last two weekends I've been out and about DSCN0619.JPG DSCN0622.JPG
    Shaggie and GAS GUY like this.
  18. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    Hot weather has moved in around here, unlike most folks in these parts I like it, I like to soak up as much of it as I can, knowing the harsh reality of winter is always close at hand.

Today was around 90f and I had not seen hide nor hair of anyone out in the woods until coming to a cross trail I saw some dust in the air, figured might as well chase it down and see what it is, most likely a quad or some such thing, much to my shock it was another bike ahead of me, as I got closer I could see it even had a plate and turn signals. Now this may not seem unusual to many but I hardly ever see another bike around here, so when I caught up to him we pulled over and had a chat.

The other rider is from the Soo on a crf250L, so another rider that I can go riding with, it's not that I can't ride by myself, I do it a lot , but there is little to no phone service, and on some of these trails it may be months or more before somebody travels on them.

So all in all a great day, the carburetor modifications that I did this past winter are working good, and today I was using my road gearing 15-49 it works great on fast two and single tracks, had it up to 78mph on a sandy two track without hitting the rev limiter, DSCN0625.JPG DSCN0627.JPG DSCN0628.JPG DSCN0633.JPG but anything slow it will not be good at all, I'm going to use it at Mid-Ohio next week then go back to a 14-49 or 14-51.

I'll put some pictures from Mid-Ohio up when I get back.

Attached Files:

TheAdmiral, GAS GUY and Bigbob1 like this.
  19. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    View attachment 1274644 Headed out bright and early Thur. morn. for Mid Ohio and the amavmd, met up with an old friend from Maryland, and we scored a good camping spot.

Friday morning the Hare Scrambles were blasting thru the back of campsite.
    After that went and test rode a KTM 690 Duke, and looked at a lot of bikes.

Friday night was warm and humid like Ohio should be, not to bad sleeping in the back of the P/U, and the rowdy crowd wasn't to awful noisy. IMG_20180706_133920028.jpg
  20. luftkoph

Oddometer:
    DSCN0639.JPG DSCN0644.JPG Saturday is when it gets busy, bike shows, motocross, road racing and the best Saturday nite flat track

This R5 Yamaha was sharp, I cast my peoples choice vote on it.

Some nice clean Kawasaki's DSCN0635.JPG
    buck12ga and Bigbob1 like this.