Eastern Utah Loop On Yamaha WR250R. From Wyoming to Arizona Border

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GF-kam, Jun 13, 2018.

1. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    GIANT LOOP OF EASTERN UTAH THROUGH MONUMENTS

Some post trip pics, notable places, Butler discrepancies, alternative route recommendations, pucker up moments, and good eats along my 1,600 mile giant loop of Utah from Evanston, WY to Mexican Hat, UT. Via Wasatch Cache / Ashely National Forest. About 12 days of riding and credit card camping. The route tries to hit as many of the monuments along way. Trip dates May 18-30. Just missed Tewster along way.

Unlike my past BDR or CDR trips, my wingman used Butler Utah G1 map to come up with a loop that kept us on Bulter " Recommended Dirt Roads" ; dashed red routes. We tried to avoid higher passes and elevations on dirt roads. Fortunately the snowpack this year ( winter of 2017 ) was way below average. Our big concern was navigating the 90 or so mile stretch of road between Dutch John, UT and up to Evanston.

Some overlapping UTBDR sections.

Direction of travel from north to south in counterclockwise direction. For the most part the weather gods cooperated. On warmer side. Especially in southern part of state. Cool temps at 8,000 and up elevation. A few rain showers on first day. Otherwise bone dry.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 11.46.23 AM by Kam A, on Flickr

As a first timer riding across Utah, I learned getting in and out of Salt Lake City means a lot of slabbing due to terrain. Primarily due to the mountain range to the east. If any of you have insights or preferred secondary roads, please post details along the post.

While I normally ride a F800GS back in Mid-Atlantic, my preferred mode of transport out west is a 2010 Yamaha WR250R. Two simple advantages: longer range and half the weight of big bike. Down side is top speed tops out at around 65 MPH.

[​IMG]DSCN1662 by Kam A, on Flickr

My WR250R never lets me down. I did have to get my blown rear shock rebuilt after my 2017 IDBDR trip. So, first order of business was to pop the shock in on the road. The biggest challenge reinstalling the rear shock back in was working with the bike propped up on a plastic bucket. A bike stand would have been handy. At the end of the trip, I also changed out my failing low bean HID bulb for a Cyclopse LED.

[​IMG]DSCN1661 by Kam A, on Flickr

I am trying real hard to take my one selfie a year ( kam ). Painful. Like pulling a cracked tooth without any sedation.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d31 by Kam A, on Flickr

My wingman, Jon, is stoked to get on the road and head out. You may recognize him from past trip reports.

[​IMG]DSCN1454 by Kam A, on Flickr

Oh, if you come through South Ogden and looking for great Vietnamese restaurant, check out Marigold by the Walmart. Off US-89 and Skyline Drive.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Marigold/@41.1514645,-111.9383823,3a,106y/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipPFqVnOXjQ_7GD-hR7tKUgHXpYWInAlvXYCs3xw!2e10!3e12!6shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipPFqVnOXjQ_7GD-hR7tKUgHXpYWInAlvXYCs3xw=w203-h126-k-no!7i800!8i500!4m10!1m2!2m1!1sBest+Western,+Odgen,+UT!3m6!1s0x87530663139e2e7f:0x851dcccc97998f5e!5m1!1s2018-06-17!8m2!3d41.1506872!4d-111.9371391

Day 1: Ogden to Fairview

" Never pass up an opportunity to gas up ".

" Irrespective of your gas tank size and range....gas up at least every 100 miles . "

My 190 mile planned day turns out to be a long 300 mile long day. A LONG DAY. Normally I travel with at least two large 33 oz. MSR bottles in my Mosko luggage. Normally full. This time I made a mistake and didn't fill them up. I also gas up every 100 miles or thereabouts. My 3.1 gallon IMS tank gives me 200 mile range. I routinely average 70 miles to a gallon. However, I didn't anticipate having to reroute 170 miles in the middle of Unita National Forest just south of Strawberry Reservoir on way to Fairview.

Although Bulter Map shows some brown ( improved ) roads around Strawberry Reservoir ( NF-131 ), they don't go through all the way to US-6. Unless you're single tracking on naked dirt bike.

Fortunately, managed to limp bikes back to Strawberry Reservoir where they had gas at the marina. At least one LOW red fuel light. Picked up another extra 150 miles rerouting through Duchesne on US-40 ( avoid with small bike ), south on US-191 ( nice road ) to Helper, north of US-6, Rt. 96 , Rt. 264, and Rt. 31 into Fairview. Nice riding between Scofield and Fairview. Up and down a few passes. Box 16 on Butler map is worth riding.

[​IMG]Indian Creek rd. 2018-06-13 at 5.59.45 PM by Kam A, on Flickr

Riding through Ogden, I followed secondary roads running parallel to I-84 E. towards Kamas. Some very nice reservoirs and campground along way. East Canyon State Park stop. Everything looks clean and pristine compared to campgrounds back east.

[​IMG]DSCN1447 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1448 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1452 by Kam A, on Flickr

Somewhere north of Peoa.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d34 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d38 by Kam A, on Flickr

New West Country Store in Kamas. Summit Inn Pizza across street gets two thumbs up for original gourmet pizzas. Apparently award winning. https://summitinnpizza.com

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d3b by Kam A, on Flickr

300 miles later, finally roll into Fairview.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d44 by Kam A, on Flickr

Find a place to eat at the Home Plate Cafe and crash at Skyline Motel.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d45 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d49 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d46 by Kam A, on Flickr

I think my entire dinner cost only $8. Two thumbs up for home cooking.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d47 by Kam A, on Flickr

..Zzzzz

Some footage of my helmet cam. The northern part of state was nice and green this time ( May 19) of year.

2. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 2: Fairview to Loa

Today most of the 185 mile ride is through beautiful national forests and high elevation riding. One of the nicer segments. Everything is lush green and reservoirs are crystal clear. Ride through Manti-la Sal Nation Forest down to Ferron. Then highway 10 south to Emery and into Fish Lake National Forest. We hang out in Emery to let a storm go by. Found a place to shelter down. 30 miles up the road, it hailed in Ferron.

Although, Butler Utah G1 map shows Skyline scenic byway and Mayfield Ferron scenic byway as Red Dashed for dirt, I am pretty sure it was all paved. My memory is a bit foggy when it comes to this past month of May. I was on a bike 20 out of the 30 days in May. Did the MABDR before heading out to Utah. In fact most of the route from Fairview to Loa was paved

First sight of snow as we approach 10,000 ft. in elevation.

[​IMG]DSCN1469 by Kam A, on Flickr

We start climbing into the mountain ranges.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d4d by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1472 by Kam A, on Flickr

Photo taken at 9,655 ft. elevation. Fortunately the snowpack was way below average this year. You can see snow along edge of the road.

[​IMG]DSCN1474 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1477 by Kam A, on Flickr

Ride along the beautiful Skyline Drive. I didn't know there was another Skyline Drive. We have one is Virginia that extends from Front Royal to Waynesboro where the Blue Ridge Parkway continues to Cherokee, North Carolina.

[​IMG]DSCN1479 by Kam A, on Flickr

This time of year riding in Utah you get to see snow and cooler temps in the north and hot climate towards the south.

Jackets on for most of the day.

[​IMG]DSCN1483 by Kam A, on Flickr

Nice scenery and overlooks off Skyline Drive.

[​IMG]DSCN1490 by Kam A, on Flickr

I shelter in Emery while I wait to see if a storm goes over. It's Sunday. So, pretty quite. I spend the time reading up on the historical aspect of Emery and Castle Valley.

Yup. Hail in those clouds. After going through Ferron just north of Emery , hail storm came through.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d5d by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d55 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d53 by Kam A, on Flickr

I am amazed how much of the area on these maps I've seen over past three years.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d56 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d58 by Kam A, on Flickr

Some video footage for the day. You can see how the terrain starts to change. By tomorrow, the terrain will start changing as we approach Bullfrog on Lake Powell.

59DEN, phreakingeek, Saso and 2 others like this.
  3. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 3: Loa to Bullfrog ( Lake Powell )

The plan for the day is to ride about 175 miles from Loa to Bullfrog on Lake Powell and catch the ferry following morning. Expectation is high for Capital Reef National Park and Grand Escalante National Monument. Original plan was to follow Butler recommend dirt roads out of Loa. That would be Posey Lake Scenic Backway ( NF-154 ) and NF-153 all the way to Escalante. However, Hwy 12 ...." A Journey Through Time " Scenic Byway was a competing alternative. Boxes 3, 4, and 10 on Butler map sure looked good. So Hwy 12 to Boulder, Escalante, and Burr Trail al the way to Bullfrog.

Leaving Loa, we come through the towns of Bicknell and Torrey. Both look like very good alternatives for gas, lodging, and dinning. Especially Torrey. However, you might need to book ahead since Torrey is at the entrance of Capital Reef National Park.

The terrain changes today from the lush green valleys of north to red clay and sandstone rock formations. Burr Trail has a number of interesting rock formations. The formations on this sandstone reminds of the famous painting Scream by Edvard Munch. The last 30 miles of Burr Trail going into Bullfrog ( Lake Powell ) is groomed gravel. Very nice section.

[​IMG]DSCN1512 by Kam A, on Flickr

Notice any similarities?

[​IMG]p03lcphh by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1511 by Kam A, on Flickr

The next few sequence of photos was along the paved portion of Burr Trail a few miles east of Boulder.

[​IMG]DSCN1521 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1520 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1518 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1516 by Kam A, on Flickr

Some of my video cam footage of the western end of Burr Trail just outside of Boulder:

Lunch at the Burr Trail Cafe at corner of Hwy. 12 and Burr Trail. One of the nicest "Motorcycle Parking" sign / art I've seen yet.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d6b by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d69 by Kam A, on Flickr

Heading towards Grand Escalante.

[​IMG]DSCN1497 by Kam A, on Flickr

My video cam footage of ride up and down Grand Escalante Staircase.

What Burr Trail looks like as it transitions from paved to dirt.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d6e by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d70 by Kam A, on Flickr

The ridge looks like the back of a sleeping giant dinosaur.

[​IMG]DSCN1523 by Kam A, on Flickr

Beautiful scenery along Burr Trail. Hardly anyone else on this stretch which was nice. I give just about any road / trail a "nice" rating if it has nobody else or vehicles on it. Once Burr Trail transitioned to gravel / dirt, had the road to myself. You wouldn't be on the East End of Burr Trail unless your destination was Bullfrog. No other roads, interstates, or highways for miles. So, no through traffic. Same heading out of Lake Powell. Nice reason to ride Burr Trail.

[​IMG]DSCN1527 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1529 by Kam A, on Flickr

Bring your camera along for this stretch of Burr Trail. Just amazing scenery.

[​IMG]DSCN1531 by Kam A, on Flickr

Oh by the way midway between Boulder and Bullfrog, Burr Trail has a short section of steep switchbacks reminiscent of Moki Dugway and Shaifer Canyon Trail. Maybe a mile. Half a dozen turns. But roads are nice wide two lanes. Called Burr Trail Switchbacks in Torrey, Utah. You go down approaching from north which makes it easier....I guess. I wouldn't consider it a " pucker up " situation unless you're going up maybe on a big bike.

Video cam of terrain 20 miles north of Lake Powell. One of the nicest views.

Glimpse of one of Lake Powell's bays off in the distance.

[​IMG]DSCN1532 by Kam A, on Flickr

Clouds seem to follow me every afternoon as we roll into Bullfrog. Fortunately no rain today. For the most part, the dirt roads stayed nice and dry entire trip.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d72 by Kam A, on Flickr

Stayed at the Defiance House Lodge in Bullfrog in order to catch the ferry across first thing in morning.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d73 by Kam A, on Flickr

Nice lodge, restaurant, and bar. Yes they do serve beer wine. One of the first establishments that did since we left Salt Lake City. Don't forget you're in Mormon country. All good. I always carry a pint of whisky to go along my first aid kit for medicinal purposes :photog

View from the room. Naazzz !!

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d7b by Kam A, on Flickr

Lake Powell is big with boating community. Lots of houseboats for rent. Maybe someday when I come back I'll bring my wife along to bicycle along some of the roads.

My wingman gets a bit anxious till the beer shows up. :drink

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d83 by Kam A, on Flickr

Views from outdoor deck. No complaints.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d85 by Kam A, on Flickr

Backside of restaurant and outdoor deck area. The staff was getting ready for upcoming Memorial Day weekend. Another week and this place will be a madhouse.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d8b by Kam A, on Flickr

Official YouTube for Defiance Lodge on Lake Powell. Nice place for trip with family.

phreakingeek, DCrider, mnTwin and 2 others like this.
  4. XTWalt

XTWalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing images of Utah Kam, this is going to be great. The WR's look badass!

Walt
    GF-kam likes this.
  5. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report so far! I've enjoyed your previous reports from riding the BDRs out here, great to see the both of you back at it on your WRs. I finished getting my WR all sorted for multi-day rides and just need to make time to get out on it.

A question/comment about the Butler map for that area - seems to be a lot of pavement? The scenery is incredible and I'm looking forward to when I have a chance to get down to SE Utah and Moab to ride; have read multiple ride reports covering that neck of the woods and know it's a place I need to go.

Looking forward to the next update and more pics, good on you for getting out there for a 12-day rip :nod:nod
    GF-kam likes this.
  6. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Walt,

How are you? Planning your Rockies trip?

Utah was nice. Amazing difference in terrain and temperature from north to southern border this time of year. You can still see snow capped mountains all around Moab.

The WR250R did great. Like a champ. Will all the high speed pavement, my front D606 knobbies are shot. Routine wear and tear.

I am slowly gathering my media and notes. Hope you get something out of the material. I'll try to remember to post the GPX files at end ....if anyone cares.

I hope this wet rainy weather pattern stops so I can take a ride down to Roanoke on Blue Ridge Parkway. I hope you're out riding.

Kam
  7. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks liv2day. Glad you're enjoying this and past RRs so far. Takes a while to put them together as you know. But, hopefully the next person has more insight and data points for planning a trip.

Seems like the mountain ranges in northern part of the state really limit access north and south on anything but pavement. But, once you get down into the big open spaces and national parks, plenty of trails to ride on. No issues riding the WRR on mix of paved and dirt roads. The only down side is top speed on highway. I just swing my arms in a circular motion and wave the next car by. I have some flickr photos of my WRR build if you need any or just shoot me a question.. For most part I left the engine and emission stock. Geared down the rear sprocket slightly; about 7% penalty on RPM and same amount up in Torque.

Keep reading more to come. I am hoping to crank 2 days worth of " post ride report " each day.

....cheers,

Kam
  8. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 4 and 5: Bullfrog ( Lake Powell ) to Mexican Hat:

The plan for today is to get up early and catch the ferry across Lake Powell from Bullfrog over to Halls Crossing on the other side of Lake Powell. From there continue on Rt. 276 over to Natural Bridges National Monument, and down to Mexican Hat for two day layover. Mexican Hat is just 25 miles from Monument Valley and Arizona border.

First ferry ride on bike. Day starts a little overcast and clears up by noon. Hardly saw a car on Rt. 276 from Halls Crossing all the way to Natural Bridges. Kind of nice having the entire road to yourself and only a few free range cattle in between :topes . My idea of a nice road. :happay

Waiting to board the ferry. They won't let you get on a minute sooner. Found out they don't let anyone on board until 9:00 a.m. sharp. Also no bathrooms on board.

[​IMG]DSCN1536 by Kam A, on Flickr

My inmate holding a spot in line.

[​IMG]DSCN1534 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1542 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1544 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1546 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1550 by Kam A, on Flickr

That's not my beer gut under the Klim jersey. That's my Forcefield body armor and kidney belt. Honest !

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d8c by Kam A, on Flickr

About a 40 minute ride from start to finish.

[​IMG]DSCN1552 by Kam A, on Flickr

My video cam footage of ride down from Halls Crossing to Natural Bridges monuments. Had Rt. 276 all to myself. So peaceful. Great road if you're a cyclist.

Good overhead shot of Burr Trail Switchbacks; courtesy of Boulder, UT chamber. Riding from north to south, you ride down switchbacks ( Boulder towards Lake Powell ). Well graded and wide. You can find more information about Boulder and Burr Trail by visiting http://boulderutah.com/the-burr-trail-boulder-utah-highway-12/

[​IMG]burr-switch-backs by Kam A, on Flickr

At the park entrance.

[​IMG]DSCN1553 by Kam A, on Flickr

At the visitor center I introduce myself to fellow overlanders circumnavigating the U.S. and part of Canada. Over 6,000 miles in one month. Hitting all the popular riding destinations including Deals Gap in North Carolina and Glacier National Park on way back. I am behind the camera.

[​IMG]DSCN1555 by Kam A, on Flickr

Moki Dugway coming up ! This was the pucker up segment. You'll see why.

The following photo shows a section of Moki Dugway. The grader was grooming it the day I road down. Again from north to south , you ride down the Moki Dugway ( heading south towards Mexican Hat ). I still think Shaifer Canyon Trail in Canyonland National Park is a bit sportier. Just take your time and you'll be fine. Just don't grab a bunch of front brakes and do a low speed dismount like I did. Some jerk in rental came around the corner taking up the entire lane and I over reacted. I should have just popped a wheelie and road across his hood.

Moki Dugway.
    [​IMG]Moki Dugway - State Route 261 - San Juan County - Utah by Kam A, on Flickr

My video cam footage of Moki Dugway and looking out to Valley of The Gods from Moki Dugway. Enjoy.

Road leading up to Mexican Hat rock. At first glance the rock that resembles a Mexican sombrero seems small till I get closer.

[​IMG]DSCN1556 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1558 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1560 by Kam A, on Flickr

Are you kidding me ?? Please !!! Leave that one rock alone. :dirtdog

[​IMG]DSCN1561 Mexican Hat Rock by Kam A, on Flickr

Same sequence of shots. I just progressively zoomed in my camera.

Basecamp is at San Juan Inn & Trading Post for next couple of days. Mexican Hat is in the Navajo India Reservation. Nice setup. Self contained. Grocery store, laundry, restaurant, bar, and homeopathic remedies for my shingles.

[​IMG]DSCN1574 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1567 by Kam A, on Flickr

The store has a little of everything including fresh supply of cold beer.:dutch

[​IMG]DSCN1566 by Kam A, on Flickr

The inn sits on the San Juan river. Very nice place. Just missed Tewster by a few days. Looks like he stayed at same place.

[​IMG]DSCN1565 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1562 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1579 by Kam A, on Flickr

Plan was to spend second day doing some sightseeing without all the luggage. Down to Monument Valley and a new place we heard about up the road from Mexican Hat. I heard about Goosenecks State Park just up the road from the Inn. Apparently you can get great view of San Juan river.

[​IMG]DSCN1580 by Kam A, on Flickr

The Inn is a popular spot for rafters. These folks had been on the river camping for 2 weeks.

[​IMG]DSCN1589 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1587 by Kam A, on Flickr

The next morning, I head down to Monument Valley. Make sure you fully charge your camera for this segment.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3d9f by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1591 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1595 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1597 by Kam A, on Flickr

Inside the Navajo Indian Reservation Visitor Center.

[​IMG]DSCN1603 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1599 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1600 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1601 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1604 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1605 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1609 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1612 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1614 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1615 by Kam A, on Flickr

Had to include my friend ....WRR...in at least one shot.

[​IMG]DSCN1617 by Kam A, on Flickr

Wish I could tell the names of each of these rock formation / monuments.

[​IMG]DSCN1621 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1622 by Kam A, on Flickr

My video cam footage of ride down and back from Monument Valley.

Next sequence of shots taken for Goosenecks State Park a few miles up road from Mexican Hat. View of the San Juan River below.

[​IMG]DSCN1634 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1628 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1630 by Kam A, on Flickr

From where I stand, the San Juan river sits at least 1,000 ft. below. Way off in the distance over my left shoulder you might see some of the rock formations of Monument Valley.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3da6 by Kam A, on Flickr

On the way back from Goosenecks State Park, we go back and ride further behind Mexican Hat Rock and do some exploring.

[​IMG]DSCN1644 by Kam A, on Flickr

Backside of Mexican Hat away from the main access road. You can follow the dirt road down to the river.

[​IMG]DSCN1643 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1639 by Kam A, on Flickr

My video cam footage of riding the backside of Mexican Hat Rock area and Goosenecks State Park.

Sorry for the constant editing. Took me a while to compile some of my video footage for this segment.
    phreakingeek, NSFW, mnTwin and 3 others like this.
  9. keithmckenney

keithmckenney Adventure riding for fun and adventure

Oddometer:
    Rockville Maryland and Hollywood Maryland
    Mr. Adventurer Kam,

This is a most AWESOME ride report!

Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to share your wonderful pictures and adventuresome spirit with us.

I love the whole trip. You make it accessible with your ride report.

Would you ride with me on my next trip so I can read a report as outstanding as this about one of my rides?

Well considered.
    Great composition.
    Well done indeed.

Many thanks.
    GF-kam likes this.
  10. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good morning doc Keith. I hope you're well.

All that flattery is only a true reflection of who you are. Look who's talking....the ADV inmate who spends half the year globetrotting on a motorcycle. We need to find you a couple full time writers and photographers to document your trips.

I need to give you call or stop by sometime before you head off for your next CDR adventure.

Kam
  11. XTWalt

XTWalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kam,

We really enjoyed this area of Southern Utah, but I wish I would have know about the area behind Mexican Hat, that looks really awesome back there. We were on sensory overload at this point, after VOG and Monument Valley. Unfortunately for us it was unseasonably hot (90°F in the deserts) yet still had snow blocking many of our routes in the mountains. Funny because we rode in about the same time of year as you did. One day we tried to find a pre-Lake Powell road near Hite that resurfaced during the drought. We spent hours in Red Canyon - it was scary hot.

My 2018 trip is morphing a bit. Looks like I'm going solo since my son is running low on vacation days and probably wont get to go. Imagine that, he doesn't want to use half his annual vacation riding with the old man? Oh well, I treasure every ride we do get together, so hopefully it will work out next time.

Being solo, I'm going to be a little more conservative in my route - I'll have to save crossing the Great Basin and heading up to the Tetons for another trip. Now I'm looking at maybe riding a loop in Colorado instead.

Thanks,
    Walt
  12. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great update for days 4 & 5 @GF-kam! The scenery there is simply spectacular; I'm looking forward to when I have a chance to ride there.

Looks like you're running the Mosko R40 bags on your bike, yes? I think you had the R80 bags on your bike for one of the other ride reports you put together? If you have the R80s, do you like the fit and placement of everything? I have a set of the R80s and plan to put them to use in a couple weeks, but haven't thrown them on the bike yet.

Anyway, I'm jealous of your rally light/fairing, remember asking you about it in one of the other reports (I just went with a windscreen for now). Riding around the back side of Mexican Hat looks fantastic, and all the pictures of the various rock formations are killer.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post the pics and the vids...perfect fix as I'm stuck in cubeville and won't be out on my bike for a couple weeks.

Keep 'em coming :D:ricky:thumb
    GF-kam likes this.
  13. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey liv2day,

Indeed. The scenery between Boulder and Mexican Hat is spectacular. Plan on spending a few days to ride around and explore.

Yes, I have a Mosko R40 bag. Limits me to what I can carry. Gets a little tricky stuffing the 20 liter roll tops every morning . But, I manage. I like to keep it simple and carry less. My wingman rides with R80. So, he gets to carry the laptop, iPad, capucchino machine, and so on. I prefer the R40 placement. Snug up against the bike and no swinging into the tire tread territory.

With so many LED light bulb options now, you probably don't need to swap stock light housing. Check Cyclopse and see if they make an aftermarket kit.

I'll try to post some video footage of ride behind Mexican Hat. Just a short ride. But neat.

I posted a few new videos is same Day 4 and 5 segment.

Some of my WRR build photo albums on flickr is you want to take a look.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157660244029834/page1

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157662309224653

Thanks for comments and following. Some interesting photos still to come.

Kam
  14. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 6: Mexican Hat to Moab, UT

The ride today was about 160 miles. Mostly on pavement with exception of Comb Wash Rd. NF-235. I avoided Manti La Sal National Forest in San Juan due to some of the higher passes such as Cooley Pass at 11,360 ft. My concern was chance of encountering snowpack and dealing with chance of melting snowpack mixed in with dirt and clay. Prior to coming out on this trip, I was dealing with a host of issues with my left foot. Before coming out I had it looked at for stress fracture and Achilles tear. So, I played it safe.

I approached Moab from Blanding and Monticello on US-191. Moab continues to grow and get crowded. Seems like the empty lots on the outskirts of the city have all been developed since I was here three years ago. Not to mention busy Memorial Day weekend traffic just a few days away. I think I'll skip Moab from now on.

Temps in Moab hovered around 98 degrees Fahrenheit well into the evening. Seemed a tad hot for May 24th.

Comb Wash ( NF-235 ) started off nice, but second half is extremely sandy. I was either paddling my way through deeper sections or sitting on my duffle bag to put as much weight on rear wheel as possible. I would say 10 mile stretch. Uneasy feeling to say the least.

This is my video cam footage for this day. Best viewed in full screen for high resolution. Same with previous videos.

[​IMG]DSCN1646 by Kam A, on Flickr

Consistency of Comb Wash Rd. at beginning before it was all sand.
    [​IMG]DSCN1647 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1650 by Kam A, on Flickr

Old abandoned service station south of Moab off US-191.
    [​IMG]DSCN1653 by Kam A, on Flickr

The only picture I felt remotely interested in taking in Moab. Did have Mexican food at Fiesta Mexicana. Pretty descent. I pledge to stay at 3 Step Hideaway next time coming through area.
    [​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3dad by Kam A, on Flickr
  15. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 7: Moab up to Wellington, UT

The ride today is about 160 miles. 80 dirt and about 80 paved. Unfortunately slabbing on some busy highways ( US-191 ) up to Moab. The first dirt section is Owl Draw Rd. , which is 40 miles north of Moab. Second section is Green River Cutoff Rd. With heat and progress, I skip the second half.

Owl Draw Rd. presents some challenging rocky sections. Kind of like riding on giant flattened bolder with occasionally steps. Ascending direction from south to north. Heads up if you plan to ride it on fully loaded big bike.

After my Utah trip I found out that my front fork developed a little leak. At the seal. I bet as a result of this one section. I certainly smacked a lot of steps getting up Owl Draw Rd. You need to air down for this section. But not too low otherwise you'll dent your front rim.

This part of the trip looks a little like the Serengeti or Great Basin in Wyoming's Red Desert. What wildlife I saw was mostly pronghorns. Had a couple near encounters. Watch out for these guys. They like to bed in behind the sage brush along the roads.

Temps started climbing today. The temp gauge behind my dashboard reads 104 degrees Fahrenheit towards mid afternoon.

This is one of the longer video footage I put together. Best viewed in full screen for high resolution. Same with previous videos.

Airing down at the beginning of Owl Draw Rd. My wingman finds out his " Gucci " Lithium ion portable air compressor isn't working. Fortunately I carry an old fashioned high volume bicycle pump. Actually purchased a second one in Moab at bicycle store. Also a good old fashioned $2 pencil pump. My motto is "keep it simple"

[​IMG]DSCN1664 by Kam A, on Flickr

Some abandoned shelter / structure at the top of the rocky section.

[​IMG]DSCN1670 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1672 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1674 by Kam A, on Flickr

Snowcapped peaks off in distance.

[​IMG]DSCN1676 by Kam A, on Flickr

A number of pronghorn sightings in this section. Majestic looking animals and fast.

[​IMG]DSCN1680 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1682 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1683 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1684 by Kam A, on Flickr

Preview of tomorrow's adventure. During the evening, I stumbled on a scenic dirt road nearby on Butler Map. Upon investigation, I find out the largest collection of " rock art " is in this area. Petroglyphs and Pictographs. So, change in plan. New plan is to ride up to Dutch John via the Nine Mile Canyon Scenic Byway.

[​IMG]DSCN1696 by Kam A, on Flickr

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

" Nine Mile Canyon is a canyon, approximately 40 miles (60 km) long, located in the counties of Carbon and Duchesne in eastern Utah, in the Western United States. Promoted as "the world’s longest art gallery", the canyon is known for its extensive rock art, most of it created by the Fremont culture and the Ute people. The rock art, shelters, and granaries left behind by the Fremont make Nine Mile Canyon a destination for archaeologists and tourists alike. "

More info at:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Mile_Canyon

http://www.sangres.com/utah/scenic-byways/ninemile-canyon-backway.htm#.WyV-wi2ZMWo

https://www.visitutah.com/things-to-do/road-trips/undiscovered/natural-history-ancient-art/

Some maintenance tips:

Today I noticed my brake light wasn't working when I left Moab. Since I had some time in Wellington, I figured why not take a look at the wiring. I suspected my aftermarket ( secondary ) brake light LED strip. The one I attached to my license plate. It never worked probably. Cheap little bugger! I am cheap. After further inspection I noticed moisture in it. Perhaps something got shorted. I took the WR250 plastic and seat off to access the wiring. Fortunately I used Posi-taps to connect the accessory light. So, I removed it. Still no luck getting my brake light to work. After all that effort and a few more attempts, I realized I had just recently put a zip tie on my front brake perch to keep that plastic dust cover down. Apparently the zip tie had squeezed the brake light switch in a manner so it would not come on. Classic example of ... " if it ain't broke, leave it alone" My bad. Once I removed the zip tie, everything worked fine. Anyhow, I'd been meaning to remove that silly LED strip on my license plate. All is good now.
    phreakingeek likes this.
  16. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 8: Wellington to Dutch John, UT

The ride today is about 160 miles. About 80 of that appeared RED DOTTED ( preferred dirt ) on Butler Map. Turns out a good 50 or so miles of Nine Mile Canyon Scenic Byway was paved. I suspect in a few years, the entire stretch will be paved.

As I noted in the very end of last posting ( Day 7 ), Nile Mile Canyon is one of the largest collection of " stone art ." From pervious posting.

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

" Nine Mile Canyon is a canyon, approximately 40 miles (60 km) long, located in the counties of Carbon and Duchesne in eastern Utah, in the Western United States. Promoted as "the world’s longest art gallery", the canyon is known for its extensive rock art, most of it created by the Fremont culture and the Ute people. The rock art, shelters, and granaries left behind by the Fremont make Nine Mile Canyon a destination for archaeologists and tourists alike. "

More info at:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Mile_Canyon

http://www.sangres.com/utah/scenic-byways/ninemile-canyon-backway.htm#.WyV-wi2ZMWo

https://www.visitutah.com/things-to-do/road-trips/undiscovered/natural-history-ancient-art/

My video cam footage for the ride up Nine Mile Canyon Scenic Byway up through Vernal and Dutch John. Best viewed in full screen for better resolution.

The history of the region and the people who lived in this valley gives a perspective of our current short civilization. People ( ancient Native American ) have lived in this region over 8,000 years ago. A nice article about the valley:

https://wavejourney.com/destination...-nine-mile-canyon-national-backcountry-byway/

[​IMG]DSCN1686 by Kam A, on Flickr

Not a petroglyph. But, I thought the silhouette of the rock reminded me of a profile . Prehistoric man perhaps.

[​IMG]DSCN1690 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1693 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1694 by Kam A, on Flickr

Over the years ( like 1800s ), as people discovered the region, they carved out their initials on the petroglyphs.

[​IMG]DSCN1696 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1697 by Kam A, on Flickr

After a few sightings, I realized the trick was to look for big flat surfaces with some darker coloration to them.

[​IMG]DSCN1698 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1699 by Kam A, on Flickr

I suspect the little circles represent the number of heard or kills.

This looks like maybe the Indians spotted some alines :)

[​IMG]DSCN1702 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1703 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1706 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1707 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1709 by Kam A, on Flickr

Most of these shots were taken from the side of the road. More up in the hills. But with all the riding gear, I decided to use the zoom on my lens.

[​IMG]DSCN1710 by Kam A, on Flickr

My guess is the upside down pronghorn to the right of the stick figure represents a successful hunt.

[​IMG]DSCN1711 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1713 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1714 by Kam A, on Flickr

Lots of circles and snakes etched into the stones.

[​IMG]DSCN1715 by Kam A, on Flickr

Arriving at our cabin in Red Canyon Lodge in Dutch John. Just next to south end of Flaming Gorge.

[​IMG]DSCN1720 by Kam A, on Flickr

Very nice setting. Great place to go fishing ( Flaming Gorge ) . Also family.

[​IMG]DSCN1721 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1723 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1724 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1728 by Kam A, on Flickr

I forget what you call these things. Not a beaver.

[​IMG]DSCN1730 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1732 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1734 by Kam A, on Flickr

I stopped at Red Canyon two years ago on southbound leg of Continental Divide Trip ( CDR ).

[​IMG]DSCN1735 by Kam A, on Flickr

All kinds of accommodations: lodging cabins, tent sites, RV sites, all the amenities including a restaurant. Store sell beer and wine. No gas. About 6 miles further up the road you can find gas on way to the dam.

Glamping style credit card camping.

[​IMG]DSCN1736 by Kam A, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCN1737 by Kam A, on Flickr

Each cabin comes with fire pit and picnic table.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3dd8 by Kam A, on Flickr

Closest I got to camping :(

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3dd7 by Kam A, on Flickr

Pretty descent chow at restaurant.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3dd4 by Kam A, on Flickr

By this point in the trip, I was looking anything green. One too many burgers. I always seem to gain weight on these trips instead of losing a few.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3dd3 by Kam A, on Flickr

Stayed in same exact cabin as two years ago.

[​IMG]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3dcb by Kam A, on Flickr

Tomorrow the plan is to ride across the Ashely and part of the Wasacht Cache National Forest. Keeping my fingers crossed no snowpack or mud across this section. About 80 mile section and at least one water crossing.
    phreakingeek and NSFW like this.
  17. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a fun RR to follow along with. Keep up the good work and I look forward to the next post. :thumb
  18. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you're enjoying it.

Couple more days of posting yet to come.

Kam
  19. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    been to some of those places and still didn't see many.

makes me want to follow your tracks.

keep them coming. thanks.
  20. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey NSFW,

One advantage of riding small bike and shorter days is having extra time to look around.

Thanks.

Kam