1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Eastern Vstrom Rally.....Stecoah, NC...now Oct 8-11, 2020

Discussion in 'Rallies' started by Moto-Kafe, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Moto-Kafe

Moto-Kafe Gnarly Entre-manure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guess it's time again to start planning (or, at least dreaming??) about next year's 18th Annual Eastern Vstrom Rally/Gathering......Oct 8-11, 2020. As of this posting, the Venue will again be The Iron Horse Campground/Lodge in Stecoah, NC ……...just like the previous dozen or so years. Last year, we saw (and met) the New Owners of The Iron Horse.....along with some facility changes from previous years. Some changes were viewed as "positive", some were not well received. "Change", in itself, may not always be received as a "good thing"...….but is almost inevitable in today's world. Until someone comes up with a better location which can accommodate 100 attendees (a mix of tent campers, cabin campers, bunkhouse campers, and RV pullers), can feed us Breakfast and Supper each day, and has a Conditioned Lodge/Meeting Hall for nightly Group Gatherings.....PLUS, is close to some of the best riding roads in NC/Tenn/Ga, then we will stay at The Iron Horse again in May.

Member "Stalky Tracker" (Roy) has already redesigned the rally website for next year's rally...…check it out for last year's photos, an up-to-date 2020 attendee list, maps of the area, and general Rally information. Stalky keeps it up to date, and it is well organized...….KUDOS to Stalky!! As usual, we need volunteers to help with the Rally: speakers, topics of discussion, events??, anything to make the rally better than last years...….and previous years!! (a hard act to follow sometimes).

Costs...….."zero" costs to attend the rally.... you pay for your meals and lodging yourself to The Iron Horse (or, wherever you end up staying), plus you can purchase a Rally Tshirt if you order one ahead of time.
    Meals...….most folks eat Breakfast and Supper at the Iron Horse....pay them when you check in. Lunch...…..you are on your own (no lunch served)....everyone is out riding at noontime anyway.
    Rally Organizers......mark444 (Moto-Kafe), Stalky Tracker (Roy), and Prowler (Les Powell)

"Watch" this thread after the first of the year to see what ideas are taking place for the rally. Call Kristen at the IH to cancel your existing Reservation for May, and/or move it to the new October weekend. If you are not a tent camper (no reservation required), call the Iron Horse before someone else claims your "inside" sleeping spot!!

mark444 (1 of 3 sacrificial scapegoats = organizers)
    Pelham, Alabama

https://www.easternvstromrally.com/

https://ironhorsenc.com/
  2. Moto-Kafe

Oddometer:
    Rally Tshirt Spreadsheet is now up and taking orders. Go to the rally website...….. www.easternvstromrally.com and sign up for a shirt. Every year, attendees show up at the rally wishing they had ordered one...…..there is a cut-off date (in April) to get orders in.
    Also, if you plan on staying in a cabin/room/bunkhouse/wagon at the Iron Horse during the rally, you need to call them NOW!!!! (no reservations needed now for tent campers)
    We had nearly 100 attendees last year...….:clap
  3. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Two of us coming from Central Canada. Looking for recommendations for roads to ride each day of the rally. Tail of the Dragon is a bucket list item that is required.
    Also would like to know what the tenting sites are equipped with... are there fire pits or grills. Should I just contact the Iron Horse direct.
    Is there a town nearby with a grocery and liquor store?
    Thanks, looking forward to the trip.
  4. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Once you get there, the roads are everywhere. No need to find routes. But the tail of the dragon resort has maps you can take that point you to sections that riders like to ride. Some even in kentucky are worth doing and only a days ride.

The best town to stay at imo is robbinsville which is nearby with all sorts of stores. I think its a dry county so you have to get your booze somewhere else.
    Eastbayview and BackRoader like this.
  5. Moto-Kafe

Oddometer:
    Scorch is correct........dry county, but beer and booze can be found in Bryson City. If attending the rally, you WILL want to stay at the Iron Horse (Rally Central). :clap
    Eastbayview and BackRoader like this.
  6. Moto-Kafe

Oddometer:
    From Rallys past...……….

P5150059.JPG

P5160061.JPG
    P5160062.JPG
  7. jgendr

jgendr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went last year and had a great time. Best riding in the country in my opinion. 2 of us are riding up this year from the gulf coast. We are making a 10 day trip out of it this year cause 3 and a half days just ain't enough seat time to really enjoy the area. we plan on taking the Natchez Trace to Nashville, then down to Jack Daniel's Distillery, and ending up at Iron horse on monday or tuesday before the rally. gives us a few extra days of riding before heading back home. Can't wait for May

JG
    dp064 likes this.
  8. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the Update..... I will not be attending this year.
    Let’s hope this disruption is over soon enough to salvage some group events this season.
  9. Moto-Kafe

Oddometer:
    Vstrom Rally has been now changed to Oct 8-11, 2020 weekend this year, same place, Iron Horse Campground/Lodge. Everyone will need to call IH to move the dates for their cabins etc. The campers are not an issue. Cancellations will be discussed with Kristen the office manager. The IH is CLOSED FOR NOW so Kristen is the only one there answering calls and emails so be patient please. The weather should be beautiful, leaves changing colors, and get "brisk" at night (I saw 28F last time I was there in October). Stay tuned to this thread as more updates trickle in.
    dp064 likes this.
  10. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    I'll be riding down from Toronto area and likely pitching a tent.
    3 days to get down, 3-4 days there, 3 days home which I done last year and for several trips in the past.

For some routes and areas to ride, have a read of these short ride reports I did for folks up here who head down frequently. Most of my day routes down there are 10-12hours in length.
    Ride Report - Another rip into the Smoky's (paved routes)
    Ride Report - Fall Colours and Twisties - Eastern States (paved and forest roads)
    Ride Report - Smoky Mountains (paved and forest roads)
    Ride Report - Toronto to Alabama (Barber Museum) - old report, so some broken links

I've taken almost all the best paved roads from these trips to and from Deals Gap, then sorted them by state and created this thread - still some eastern states to add, but TN, NC, WV, VA are there:
    Stateside Roads - the twistier the better!

I'm looking to do a whole set of new-to-me roads there and back.
    Can't wait for this event and thanks to all those planning and hosting it!
  11. Moto-Kafe

Oddometer:
    Shane...…….we already have (4) attendees signed-up from The Great White North who say they are coming down in October. Go to the EasternVstromRally Website if you want to keep abreast of numbers, from where, TShirts, etc...…….Good Stuff!!

The Iron Horse Lodge/Campground is officially (legally) open now......so is the Cherry-Cola Skyway and Dragon.
  12. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reminder.
    I just signed up and ordered a t-shirt. That's a very helpful website with lots of nice routes and things to see!
    If all goes well, I'll have 30 days off work and will ride out to see my sister in BC first and then swing down the west coast and head east to Iron Horse.