Eats, drinks and sleeps in Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Nata Harli, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    I'm heading up your way in July and would like some recommendations on a few things from some of you Great White Northeners. I hop a ferry in Bellingham on the 12th and get in Haines on the 16th. I don't have any real plans once I get up there but, then again, I don't want to miss any "must see" or "must eat" spots.

First stop will be Anchorage for some new tires. I'm planning on contacting Barb in Anchorage to have a new set of tires mounted on my '04 1150GS to get my trip started. Would off-road type tires be my best choice? I know I'll probably go through a set while I'm up there.

Then, I think I'm going to ride up to Inuvik instead of Prudhoe based on some advice from a friend who has done both. Then I'm heading back to Alaska.

I want to do a trip report while I'm on my journey so would like to find out where the internet cafes (or others such as libraries) are located so I can write my report and post my pictures.

Also, I know there are some great eating places up there and would like some recommendations on where to get a meal and what is best at a particular establishment. Nothing fancy is needed, the food is the most important.

And finally campgrounds vs. motels. Will I have any problem finding campgrounds or do I need to kind of start planning my ending destination at the beginning of each day? How many campgrounds have showers? I don't need a shower every day since I'm by myself but one every 3-4 days would be nice.

I know motels are expensive, but are there some areas where I will have to stay in a motel? Or, if I'm soaking wet and cold and the rain persists, do I need a reservation or can you show up at a motel in the early afternoon and find a room?

Any and all help/advice/recommendations will be greatly appreciated. I've been wanting to do this trip for a while and am chomping at the bits to get started. I'll post a picture of my bike when I get started so you'll know who to look for. If you fellow ADVriders see me, salute me and maybe we can get together for a beer on me.

See y'all soon.
  2. AK Bear

AK Bear Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Anchorage you'll want to try Hog Brothers, just down the street from Barb's or Snow City Cafe on the west end of 4th ave for breakfast. Indian House 20 mi south of Anchorage for lunch or the Double Muski in Girdwood for dinner, 40 miles to the south. You will have to stop in at the brewery in Homer. I think it is called Katchamak Brewery but I'm not sure. It's the only one in Homer. Best beer you will ever have period. Buy a growler and camp somewhere. For a very very god dinner in Anchorage try Resturante Orso. Mederterainian food that is tops. They have a fantastic wine list and charge $6 over whole sale no mater the cost so you get some really good deals on the more expensive stuff. For a cheap dinner go to the Thai Kitchen on Tudor road across from where they teach the motorcycle safety course. Barb can give you specific directions since she teaches there. It is the best Thai food any place but the dicor is strip mall secand hand. Great family runs it. They cook on just one burner so it is not fast. My wife and I ate there for $17 last night.

I've never heard of a campground with a shower. Maybe some around Keani but I don't think showers are an Alaskan thing.

You may want to pm Gusgus, he is going to Inuvic as I write. He will have lots of info.

Have a safe trip, Bear
  3. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    Bear,
    Thanks a million for the info. I'm really looking forward to this trip.
    Ken
  4. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    A copy of the MILE POST may help answer some of the camp/motel questions.

Bring bug dope, and a head net if you camp.

Some campgrounds/RV parks do have showers and Laundry. None in the state parks. Many of the Laundramats also have showers for travelers.

Latest report on tires....call Barb. On the inuvik run the wear factor on TKC's was measured in mm/hr and not miles. They were wearing fast. One rider was on Tourance and had no problem. (I got alomst 8,000 miles on my rear Tourance)

also check myalaska.com for information.

Eat pie in Chicken....you can go farther but you can't find better.

Stay at the Downtown hotel on Second Ave in Dawson. If you need to drop some gear when you head up to Inuvik you may be able to store it at the hotel. The owner is very helpful to Motorcycle guests (he rides a 1150gs).

Motor homes and travel trailers are wide....don't cut corners on the Taylor.

Have questions....Just ask! We have lots of opinions and some are actually based on fact.

Ride safe