eBay is ridiculous

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Candubrain, Jan 8, 2019.

?

Do you still buy off eBay?

1. Not a fricken chance

17.9%
  2. Only when I'm desperate

53.6%
  3. Frequently

28.6%
  1. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a warning for Cdn's buying off eBay and having shipped from the US.

On Dec 24th, I purchased a used set of Atacama bags off a seller in NJ, and paid in full that day. Because of family illness, he couldn't ship until Dec 31st....while he was in Miami, I suspect that's where the bags were stored.

It took 7 days to travel from Miami to eBay's global shipping centre in Kentucky. I watched the parcel zig zag across half the lower US before it got to KY.

Its been sitting at their global shipping centre 2 days now, with a scheduled delivery of Tuesday Jan 15th.

Shipping cost was $118.40 US, plus $94.43 US for import and handling fees. I knew the costs up front and was okay with it as I got the bags for a good price.

What is pissing me off is that I have paid premium pricing for eBay's exquisite shipping service, yet its being delivered by a half dead, blind pack mule. When you log into eBay, they do not give you any easy way of contacting them to complain or question.

This will be my last purchase from eBay, as I can buy from any retailer in the US and generally have it to my door within a week......not the 2 weeks plus eBay is doing.

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant, I feel better, and I won't kick the dog.

Hope this enlightens you.

brian
  2. rswift-ebay

rswift-ebay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brian. Are there no shipping locations like serviced post office boxes across the border that you can drive to? In BC we go to either Point Roberts or Blaine and pay a fix fee of say 4usd per parcel and then drive back. Usually US shipping is free and I have never been asked to pay import fees for anything less than a declared 200usd.

Just a thought, I don't know how long it would take you to drive across the border.

Regards
  3. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Border is 3 hrs away. The cost I was okay with......it's the ridiculously slow process to ship. thanks
    brian
  4. rswift-ebay

Oddometer:
    Damn. I hate paying for shipping and the treat of broker and import fees. Peace out brother.
    Candubrain likes this.
  5. JDakota

JDakota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What to you use for an address or do you have to rent a P/O box?
  6. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are lots of mail places at most major crossings just South of the border that cater to Canadians. A lot of shippers don't like PO boxes so don't call it a PO box it's a physical commercial address open Monday to Friday that will accept packages. I use a place in Blaine WA for any deliveries from the US and as stated earlier $200 and less gets you waved through the border.
    Steve G. and JDakota like this.
  7. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    20 days and counting .... since my Fed Ex package was shipped - from Toronto to Vancouver. i get intermittent shipping updates every few days. Canada Post would have had it here in 5 days.
  8. Millwright98

Millwright98 Share the love, leave the dirt in the garden.

Oddometer:
    I won't buy anything off E-bay in the US and have it shipped to Canada anymore... too many messed up shipping issues and surprise bills months later from fed-ex etc..... I am lucky and have friends that snowbird in Florida... generally have anything shipped to them for free, and they stick it in the RV on the way home in the spring with an e-mail of the transaction if there's any questions at the border... never been an issue.
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ever since eBay went to the Global Shipping Program it's sucked for Canucks. Might be easier for the seller. Tends to cost us more. if the seller would just send it USPS quite often there wouldn't even be border fees.
    Night_Wolf and Candubrain like this.
  10. rswift-ebay

Oddometer:
    Agreed. For instance I use Point to Point parcels and every shipper and USPS use it and its 4.50usd per package.
    CCitis likes this.
  11. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last time I ordered from FortNine Canada Post took almost a month from Montreal all the shippers in Canada seem slow I can get packages from Florida shipped USPS slow boat and it only takes a week to Blaine WA.
  12. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My last Fortnine order was over a month as well but I am assuming part of the delay was the postal strike. The items were instock.
  13. snail01

snail01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Usually fortnine is quick.
    Night_Wolf, Also Ran and Candubrain like this.
  14. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    The Ebay global shipping is quite a rip off, it is good to see that some vendors still ship items direct... I had a small clutch case arm lever sent up from California and it went through Global shipping.. I paid under $12 CAD for the part and it fit in a 4" x 6" flat envelope and weighed about 2 OZ.. My cost on shipping was $27 CAD, had the vendor shipped it direct it would have been about $5.. Global shipping also is much slower than the old way, often taking more than 2 weeks and they send those annoying E-mails saying your package is almost there when it is more than a week away.. Stuff from China and Europe often arrives before stuff sent through the Global Shipping.. Fort nine orders usually take a week to get to me..
    Candubrain and Effisland like this.
  15. Effisland

Effisland Long timer

Oddometer:
    UPS was wild watching a package shipped from London UK last fall. Although it landed in NB and coming to me in BC, it went to NY and KY and landing in Seattle, to Richmond back to Seattle then back to YVR. Once it landed in customs I waited another three weeks and had to remind them that I was waiting to pay the duty, once they delivered it to me. Maybe they thought I would show up at customs and pay? Then once it arrived in my town I was at work, but I had filled out an online form and payed another $10 to change the address to my work address, but it took then 5-7 days to process that ONLINE form. By the time they got around to delivering it, it was my day off and even after informing them I was home, they delivered it to work (and I got the front desk to pay for me). After all that, my god how can they still have a functional successfull company I will never know.
    Candubrain likes this.
  16. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Yes. I’ve got the same setup, in Sumas, WA., an actual address rather than a PO Box which many shippers do not accept. I’ve had the address for 15+ years, would never consider shipping anything cross border. The extra brokerage costs, Cdn Customs inspection cost charge, Cdn Customs ridiculous delays. I do my own brokerage.
    I’ve recently been told that for 2019, EBay charges Washington state tax on items, I was not charged any tax on my last eBay purchase 2 weeks ago.
  17. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I usually don't buy if the seller uses eBay's shipping program.
    FWIW I tend to buy more motorcycle items/gear from eBay Germany than US.
    The motorcycle market is much bigger over there so you can find better deals.
    Most will ship to Canada if you ask and it's not much more.
  18. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i've sold parts to Canadian buyers many times, and without fail the buyers have always given me a shipping address in a US city near the border. i'm not sure of the shipping costs saved by this method, but the package got to their address in two days via USPS priority mail, which included tracking and insurance. never had a complaint.
  19. rswift-ebay

Oddometer:
    As a number of us Canadians have mentioned we have mail holding address and yes it rocks! And it saves hundreds of dollars annually
  20. rswift-ebay

Oddometer:
    Sir. Shipping from the UK to point Roberts in WA state its usually cheaper and definitely quicker. Under 200usd and you most probably won't get charged at the border.