EBAY Special Cafe

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Stagehand, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody, I havent been here in a while but I used to hang out here a little bit. Since my bikes got finished, and life got hectic, but whatever IM not dead yet! And what happened is: My friend Greg said he had a hankering to build a BMW. He's got a 1200GS now, and before that a K100RS, but now he wanted to build an airhead Cafe style bike, but with the challenge difficulty of building from scratch, more or less, and put it together with: me. shocking, I know and probably lacking wisdom but he thought it would be fun, and that it has.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The clutch and flywheel came from two different places as well.

new clutch bolts. new flywheel bolts. New con rod bolts, new oil pump seal,

had to Ebay new pushrods and lifters.

Brad came though with valve gear! thanks brad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK so: he found an 1983 R80 Rt frame and bottom end, matching numbers. He sourced a starter.

He found a subframe.

I had lots of bits off of a 1978 R100RS that Id stolen the engine out of for a different bike, so we got the wheels, and the rear brakes, rear diff, some other stuff from that .

We got a set of ATE forks off Ebay. Got a GS single pull throttle perch off eBay. I had a brake line lying around that basically kinda fits.

I had a spare universal lever I turned into a clutch.

We got R100 pistions and cylinders and heads from Brad, they were in the autumn of their years but still good with new rings, and the heads needed new exhaust valves,

and we didn't realize it till yesterday that the heads were 40mm and the carbs were 32, but of course, the 32 rubbers fit inside the 40s just right, :D so tighten em down and go

[​IMG]

I didn't have the proper clutch centering tool and for a hot minute I thought I bought the wrong clutch push rod (naturally the trans and rod stuff were Ebayd separately. thanks to Anton for clearing that up.

[​IMG]

I thought this would make a great Carnival fairing concept :D

[​IMG]
    Pezz_gs, tac650, ozmoses and 4 others like this.
  2. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    so we got a power dynamo magneto ignition, and just bought a Baja designs dual sport light kit, that will get us legal with the law.

The swingers I'd previously bought was LOST by Fedex, that right they just went ahead and can't find it so I had to Ebay a second one, but as soon as that shows up it should be a rolling unit.

I think the front wheel has a warble in it. I think theres a place in Danbury that repairs alloy wheels. Its got a decent amount of runout on one side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the transmission was also lacking the shift lever shaft, so I had to eBay one. I ebayed the whole airbox and elbows.

We ebayed headers.

Fenders are still a little bit of a mystery. I have the front one from the RS and its functional but looks a bit dodgy.

Oh, and in the middle of all this, I packed up everything, the tools, the lift, all of it, and shipped it to another country. SO we're down to doing this with a single flathead screwdriver, a set of allens, two small pliers, a 6" present wrench and a bunch of sockets left over from building trophies.

This is where we're at today:

[​IMG]
    Pezz_gs, tac650, globalt38 and 5 others like this.
  3. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

AND WHILE WE WERE DOING THAT we had an special visitor to ART headquarters. Ten ADV points if you can name that villain.
  4. Kiwiabbo

Kiwiabbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fun build. I love it when cafe/brat bikes are made from parts rather than from cutting up a fully functioning bike. And the great thing about bmws is the fact you can mix and match bits from different years, models and even families. Keep it up and posted.
  5. Stagehand

Oddometer:

Good point. No bikes were harmed that weren't a lost cause anyway. New life!

and certainly this thing is a 77-85, so far, that I know of. RT frame, RS running gear, GS top end,

I shipped my clutch centering tool ,so I had to make one. a spent drill bit welded to a 9/16 socket is my new centering tool.

Oh I forgot to mention, I move in two and a half weeks, so we've got that long to finish it :D
    tac650 likes this.
  6. Kiwiabbo

Oddometer:
    R100R motor, gearbox, swing arm and rear wheel, R80 mono frame and sub frame, much modified. Mono series tank, earlier seat and cowl much modified. K1 forks and brakes with jap bike internals, hyperpro rear shock. R1200C front wheel respaced to fit. Triumph switchgear, acewell instruments, tomaselli levers BA2C425A-6F55-463A-8DCD-C4718AC1777B.jpeg 5C903C87-A360-4800-B822-7D14B44A0193.jpeg and throttle and brembo master. Custom pipes. Seems I have been down a simerlar track before.
  7. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Dont show Greg he'll want it :lol that turned out right nice. Purple spring, notwithstanding 8-D
  8. Kiwiabbo

Oddometer:
    Yeah...purple. Nicer than yellow on this. Wish I had asked that question when I ordered it. Never mind. It’s a talking point.
    Richarde1605 and Stagehand like this.
  9. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember when R100GS were the rage... the PD versions had one with Purple seats. People hated 'em.

Got a purple seat for my R100GS mit Acerbis 44 liter for all of $100, pulled off a new BMW in a dealership! My attitude? I'm sitting on it; I don't give a flying wiggle what color it is...
    bleaknessengine and Richarde1605 like this.
  10. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rarely notice the colours when I riding :-)
    Orange and purple are the bomb :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  11. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Spent today tidying up the engine electrics, making choke pulls, (thats a bicycle spoke soldered to a Brass universal cable end) and figuring out a battery box. I lost or dont have any stock ones, so we're winging it out of aluminum.

Bought a pair of cheepo rear mufflers and an aluminum gas cap. Ebay.

I spent a half hour trying to figure out how the FFFFFF the rear brake organism fit, and finally looked at the wheel, and the stupid disc is on the opposite side than the diff :D Its the little things that make all the difference, lol
    brittrunyon and aptbldr like this.
  12. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    Those oak tires are gonna ride rough; jusayin' .

[​IMG]
  13. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see the plug for the party mask/fairing there, if that's a me33 or lazer it's the wrong way around.
    Nice project :-)

Stagehand likes this.
  14. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    thanks for the heads up.. Ill take a look at that :D

Richarde1605 likes this.
  15. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I figure, the tire has more years than miles at this point,I should probably change it anyway, and Greg wants to take off the extra disc anyway, so Ill probably get it right sooner or later :D

Question: on the single pull GS throttle: I think we're missing what would be the cable stop at the perch. I have used something else (?!) as a temporarily permanent thing until I could get around to asking you guys.

donor bicycle wheel visible here :D

[​IMG]
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  16. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did the cops show up shortly after he left asking odd questions?
    Stagehand likes this.
  17. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Couple guys in black suits. I don’t really remember what happened after that

Probably unrelated
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  18. Kiwiabbo

Oddometer:
    So we going cafe, looking more like a brat style. Let’s get those bars lower and the pegs back a bit.
  19. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    donor bicycle wheel visible here

I notice many a treadly/treadly parts in shed shots and build treads :-)

20. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    The style is currently called “expediency” because I only have two weeks left to build it, and I still dont have start/stop switches, wiring harness, any lights horns or sirens, a rear swingarm, a place to put the battery, LP oil indicator, rear mufflers

So the plan is to smash it all together and get it running(?) then deal with all the style points at leisure later
    Kiwiabbo, bpeckm and Richarde1605 like this.