Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Stagehand, Jul 12, 2018.
It could probably be called “objet trouvé” style
Good to see the Stage back, even just a fly-by..... fun times for all!
I'd prioritize that swing arm, wiring harness and start/stop switches. Lights, horns or sirens, battery, even the mufflers are just ancillary. I wouldn't scrimp on the oil pressure light.
Its all about the shipping.
Had a swingarm bought three weeks ago. a week ago I called after fed ex hadn't shown up for a week, and- they lost in New Jersey. Well, a lot of things get lost in New Jersey, but we had to punt, and Ebayed Another swingarm. It should be here next week, as well as the harness. As well as the everything else. I swear if I had all the parts it would have taken a single day.
Today: I found out the brake spring aint worth a damn:
and we went to take off one of the front rotor discs because the bike only has one caliper anyway and discovered the bolts were pretty well buggered. I think somebody decided that they were brakes, and important, so the nylock nuts should go ahead and be extra frucking tight. they basically yanked the threads on all five bolts.. I had to cut one off with a Dremel. New bolts coming.
Got the shifter linkage sorted. Like finding a golden piece of hay in a pile of needles, I found an M6x80 with the wrong head, but have grinder will make it fit.
Put the fork fluid in, and by the way, I have no way to measure 250mls. SO what you do is: Google 1 American cup, or 8 oz, is 236 mls. SO dont use the wife’s measuring cups directly, go ahead and use it to pour water into an old clear miso soup container from lunch yesterday and Mark the level. Then measure fork oil in to that and then into the fork. the order is important, throughout
Not only that but the fork gators made it on, and now I need an "abstandshreibe" to fit here between the top cap and the triple clamp top plate:
Also ,I had to make a tool to tighten the cap down. Bent a nail into a U shape and stuck it in the holes, turned it with screwdriver.
I imagine that having tools is second only to having actual parts in hand to be able to finish this thing.
Battery box painted and going in: Its a chunk of aluminum I carved out of something I had bought for some other thing:
With just he engine electrics, it looks pretty clean: Looking at it now, it looks like the coil wares a re little jammed. Ill have to unjam them
Greg decided he wanted a little bigger handle on his chokes so he solders a little more on the head:
The 2nd swing arm you had to order - didn't happen to come from New Jersey did it!?
I can’t quite check.., it might have but also or maybe it was the oil light LeDs, but it might also be Wisconsin or Texas
I even forget the eBay sellers name but did you send one to “123Hxxxxxx”?
Sorry Jason - just me trying to be a "smart ass" suggesting that maybe your swing arm that went missing in New Jersey - was "acquired" by someone and turned around to be sold to you again on Ebay...
Gotcha- Ha! apologize for my between the line blindness
Reminds me of watching a MacGyver episode!
Will he finish in time!?
Will he be able to find, order, make, or rig all the needed parts!?
Will it work in the end and good triumph over evil!?
I should be ordering Max parts but im here instead
I just got back from two days of riding with some great people in West Virginia at the GS Giants mayhem thing, in between the MOA and the RA rallies. good times, took the PD out for a right good romp. BUT today and yesterday we were at it and we made good progress
hear it for yourself
SO the brake master cylinder in the rear is acting like shit.. the piston doesn't like to move on its own.. its a pain, I can jam a hex key in the end, and move it back and forth but its not migrating fluid from the reservoir..
Turns out the tank doesn't quite fit with the airbox, and we decided to modify the airbox cover rather than get a new tank or anything:
Installed the whole rear end including the rear mufflers, but idiot me got headers built for a collector box, and rears built for the early headers so we're going to have to fabricate the interim bit. and 8 inches of inch and an half with a 15 or 20 deg bend in it. should be fun .
garbage brown came out of the final and trans,
wiring harness should show up on Tuesday.
Still need fork cap distance ring, muffler buts, left and grip, rear master cylinder.
Should have new tires but probably not my problem.
It's Coming along!
Looks like Pascha went for another swim.
We're officially at the "whatever it takes" stage.
muffler intermediates welded up and strapped on. Strapped on
I see how the seat has to move to fit correctly on the subframe relative to the tank but I've no time to do that. I also thin the seat is too big but its free.
Got the carbs kinda tuned and its actually got some ass! It starts, idles, holds it its idle, goes into first and starts away with no hesitation or bog.
No rear brake until we get the rebuild kit for the master cylinder. I hope to heck I got the right one, I mean no big deal if its wrong, just send itbacka nd get the right one but its just more time
I don't know what front fender but I think maybe just a regular low fender for this style/year
wiring harness should arrive Tuesday.
That is one big dog!!!!!
Yeah she’s a big girl :)
I have to say:
We finished it :d I mean, mostly. It needed a few details and it looks rough but it’s a complete runner, bells and whistles.
It’s got lights an a horn and mirrors fenders on, seat clamps modified. It’s like, 98% complete but I had to get out of town
It’s getting the rear brake rebuilt and it should be good to go, if it makes it a hundred miles, it will be good for a while :)
Hopefully pics tomorrow. It looks a little bit ridiculous but Greg has plenty of time to make the details work out and I know he will.
It’s a runner!
Oh my god looks who’s back