EBR: Support an American Motorcycle Company

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by thunder1200, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't believe everything you read about Erik in the press, much less on the internet. I think Erik understands very well the kind of bikes they need to build to be successful long-term, it just takes cubic crap-tons of money to develop all-new motorcycles. They're building what they're building because that's what they could do with the resources they had. When Harley closed Buell in 2009, Erik was able to acquire the racing parts and he bought the rights to the Rotax 1125 V-twin. His guys knew how to design a fuel-in-frame chassis so their first bike (the 1190RS) was basically a drastically upgraded 1125. Once Hero kicked money in, EBR was able to redesign that into something more affordable, the 1190RX. The SX was easy to derive from that.

Initial info in the press indicated the AX would be another 1190 derivative, much like the Ulysses was from the XB platform, but a later interview with Dane Hoechst at Cycle World indicated the AX would be an all-new design that would take lots of time and investment to develop. Maybe he was blowing smoke, but maybe not.

A post-receivership interview with Erik quoted him as saying they had new, much more mainstream, more affordable motorcycles in the works that were a few months from production at the time EBR shut down. HOPEFULLY they can pick back up where they left off and we'll see something like that in the near future.
    Seventy One and motocopter like this.
  2. maxpower220

maxpower220 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, it would take decades of EBR to be in business before I would consider buying one. In the same way, I won't buy a Fiat or Alfa car. Too much history of going out of business, which directly relates to running a bad business.

Beyond that, EBR dealers from a few years ago have bikes on their floors. New EBRs have and MSRP below the sale prices of the 2014 models left over. That should make dealers happy.

Erik was so sure that his innovations were better and couldn't get over himself. If it were truly better, many MotoGp bikes would be doing it. His tech isn't better.

Despite my opinions, I hope that he makes a great product and does well on this go around. I love to support American companies.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  3. X1Glider

X1Glider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the company having been reacquired and restructured, they are essentially being considered a new manufacturer. So, while there are new bikes sitting around, those dealers are actually no longer authorized dealers. What this means is unless the dealership signs a new contract to be a dealer again for this new organization, they can only sell the bikes as USED. I am not clear on this, but for the same reason, I believe that those bikes will have zero warranty. EBR will have to issue an official good faith warranty but I doubt that will happen. I have first hand experience at taking too long to restore something only to find that all kinds of seals and gaskets were dried up and useless.
  4. X1Glider

X1Glider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have no info on what it would be (like a derivative like the Ulysses) but Erik had publicly stated before receivership that the AX design was done and only needed minimal tooling before they could produce it. Then shortly after, he was given a gag order about it. Haven't heard anything new since.

These were probably branded Heros with emissions compliant parts. Just a guess. If so, we know where that stands.
  5. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly right, the 2014/15 model do not have an EBR warranty. But, is this really a problem if the bikes have super discounts? The remaining units have to be sold well under the current models already being sold at lower prices, or they will be dust collectors.

Below is part of an EBR emailed response:
    "Regarding your question on warranty, the warranty from the producer of 2014 and 2015 EBR brand motorcycles, Erik Buell Racing, Inc, is not available, as that company was shut down as part of a bankruptcy process in early 2015. Inquiries for more detail on this would need to be directed to the receivership which completed the shut down and sale of assets through the bankruptcy process. However, our company, EBR Motorcycles, LLC has parts available for older EBR motorcycles at better pricing, a growing network of new EBR dealers, service/performance advice, and is negotiating with possible sources to allow customers to buy aftermarket warranties at a reasonable price for the EBR brand motorcycles produced by the prior company."
  6. 2wheeledADVenturers

2wheeledADVenturers So many ADVentures, so little time!

Oddometer:
    Here's a guy (650ib on YouTube) in May that bought an 1190RX and personally rode with Erik Buell. Cool video, he also has a video where he had a nice discussion with Erik about what's going on and upcoming.
  7. espacef1fan

espacef1fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I woulddnt run from a RX. I like em :)
  8. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys noticed that EBR will reflash not only the new-build RX and SX models, but also those from the 2014-15 years? No charge except for shipping.
    Hughlysses likes this.
  9. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eric's engineering inovations work, many manufactures have copied his under slung exhaust system, oil cooling jets under the pistons, fuel in frame, oil in swingarm and God knows what else. None of this was exactly new but he was the 1st to use it all. Good luck to Buell. I almost forgot the weight savings in the front wheel due to perimeter braking.