Economical options for "getting there (and back again)" (WA to CO)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Mal.D, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Mal.D

Mal.D Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've set a goal for myself of doing one BDR per summer until I can't anymore, and started looking at how to get to each state from WA. My original plan was to just rent a cargo van one-way to the start point, but was shocked to see all the rental places wanted an average of $1500 for a van from WA to SE Colorado (i.e. Four Corners), and the same for going back! Jeez Louise!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get you and bike from one state to another more economically without riding it there?
  2. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, you could pull it on a trailer if you have a vehicle that will pull, a small trailer and time to get it there and back. If you don’t want to ride the bike, or the bike you are using is impractical for the trip, this is what I’d pick.

Next best would be to have the bike shipped ahead of time - ideally to a local friend or ADV inmate in each area - and then shipped home after. Again, helpful if you can find someone at each end to help with this so you can be flexible in timing (which means you can also be flexible in the shipping cost). Then you just need to fly in and out. Super easy if you can use the same airport, and only slightly less easy if you have to have an open jaw flight.

The downside to shipping is that if your bike gets lost in shipping limbo and delivered late, there goes your trip schedule. Also, if it’s a bike you ride regularly at home, you’ll have to give up some home riding time for shipping.
  3. Mal.D

Mal.D Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This was the plan before I thought to look into the van rental option; the downside being I have to park the truck somewhere and then slab it to the beginning of the route and then back again from the end. But that may just be the squeeze I have to endure.
  4. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Short of magic or lots of money, some “suffering” is probably unavoidable. ;)
  5. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our solution to this is to not be locked into doing an entire one state BDR for a ride.

You can make up some great loop rides by combining segments of BDRs for adjacent states. The BDR web site shows dirt connectors between several of the BDRs.

I don't know where you live but I would think you could create some nice loops using the WA, OR, ID, and NV BDRs maybe without too much slab from your house.

We make have made some really great loops incorporating parts of the AZ, NM, UT, and CO BDRs.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/spring-trip-2017-nm-az-azbdr-ut-co-loop.1229784/

We did one loop a few years ago doing most of the ID BDR and returning via the parts of the CDR.

If you are really comfortable riding the BDRs, it should not be too hard to create your own routes to fill in gaps by just looking at maps.

This web site has tracks for dozens of rides that might help in making custom loops.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/cdr-tat-adv-routes-master-thread.763745/

As Captain Obvious might say. If you design a loop route, you do not have to worry about a long slab ride back to your starting point.

Some guys get really hung up on feeling they have to do a canned ride exactly as the planners created it in order for it to "count".
    I just want to have great rides.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  6. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    I just ride the bike everywhere
  7. Mrstig

Mrstig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My plan: bring the travel trailer and wife to the beginning of the bdr area. Hopefully with some friends. She can camp and relax for a few days then head across state to meet me. The benefits of having an awsome partner, capable tow rig, and being self employed.
  8. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ideal solution , 3 or more go , one guy is the shag wagon rustler , his job is to drive ahead to a pre-determined spot for the night with vittles and cold beer waiting for the riders to show up.
    Yeah , I couldn't get that to happen either.
  9. Mal.D

Mal.D Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love this idea and would absolutely go this route... if I had the time. But just getting from Seattle to CO on the interstate is 3 [sane] days, and then 3 days (or two long days) back. But maybe saving up vacation time for one big epic WA, ID, UT, NV, CO trip is the way to go. I could shoot for that in 2023.
  10. Mal.D

Mal.D Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This isn't a bad idea either, and my spouse might actually go for it, with the proper incentive. ;-)
  11. oldtouring B

oldtouring B Long timer

Oddometer:
    This worked for me one time. I bought a used utility trailer and stored the truck and trailer at a storage facility. I think the storage was &40.00. Sold the trailer after returning home. Broke even on that part..