Economics of reloading ammo(e)

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Aurelius, Mar 16, 2009.

1. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am wanting to get into BP for this guy. I am really stuck on history, and this gun was shot its entire life as a black powder rifle....so I want to do that and see the difference.

Amazing this gun is pretty clean, nice bore.

Looks like it is going to rain all week, that means this weekend if I want to shoot I will have to drive to the club, or dig out a swamp buggy......my shooting area is really a flood area....There is a waterfall around where the steel sits at home.

I am going to cut down each of the recipes a smidge and see what I am getting. I don't need to fling them that hard.....What I am working on is a good accurate round for a CMP match.....yea I want to shoot this thing in a cmp match.....I think it will be fun.....I so suck at that game as I am squirrel and then on to something else....Still need to shoot my carcano in a match. I bet I would get pretty good at one thing if I could just do one thing....just not the way I am wired.
    WECSOG and WYO George like this.
  2. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    If you download it with black, it's a good idea to use a filler such as cream of wheat, so you have light compression. BP doesn't like empty space.
    Fire Escape and WYO George like this.
  3. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have read that....all kinds of things people use to "fill it up" I was looking at an 11mm german BP rifle.....but the price of the brass made me go :mad?.... just insane.
  4. Bill-66

Bill-66 I don't even know... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question for the collective...

I have gotten back into reloading, bought a Dillon 550, 4 caliber set ups..etc etc. mainly all pistol stuff as I have gotten into ICORE, Speed Steel and USPSA.

I bought a Lipseys 5” 10mm GP 100 snd am shooting .40 out of it for a Limited 6 gun..

Shooting a 180 grain coated over 6.1 grains of CFE. What effect does OAL have on pressures? Accuracy? It would make sense that the least amount of “jump” to the forcing cone, would be best and I am setting them up pretty long now..if I set them to a length that would work in an auto gun, they’d have to get a few tenths shorter..

Thanks in Advance...
  5. _Harry_

_Harry_ Redneck Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pressure won't be an issue with that sort of load in a GP100, they're built like tanks. And jump length probably isn't as important in a revolver as it is in rifles. Usually with revolver loads the bullet cannelure/crimp sets the OAL and you live with it.

If your .40 loads don't have a cannelure crimp you should be careful setting the OAL too long - the recoil could push the other bullets in the cylinder forward and lock up the gun.
    WYO George likes this.
  6. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Seating the bullets longer makes more space inside the case, thereby lowering pressure. You will be able to load it a bit hotter if you want to.
  7. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    No cannelure, just taper crimp...and the bullet has enough room to fall out as the cylinder is built for 10mm :lol3
    R100PDave and _Harry_ like this.
  8. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    I want the minimum that reliably makes power factor...a 180 gr bullet at 1000 is plenty with a cushion.
    WECSOG likes this.
  9. _Harry_

Oddometer:
    So do you want 1 cartridge for 2 guns or (?) Why not just load 10mm for the GP100 and standard length 40 for the auto? :scratch
  10. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    What I want to know is why Ruger doesn't chamber it for 10mm Magnum and market as suitable for all three cartridges?
  11. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    Nope, just the revolver load. Because I have a shit ton of brass and the shorter the case, the faster the reloads..
  12. _Harry_

Oddometer:
    Well you'll never get the same accuracy from the 40 loads as you would 10mm in that cylinder. If you need tight groups invest in some 10mm brass. I doubt the extra few thousands OAL you squeeze out of a .40 cartridge will make any difference since you already have a huge jump to the forcing cone.

I have a .454/45 Ruger Alaskan and I can never get it to group as tightly with the 45 loads as the 454 rounds..
    Bill-66 likes this.
  13. kbuckey

kbuckey Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    For a long time I shot a S&W 610 in IDPA. I always shot it with .40 S&W and, although if I put it on a bench and shot 10mm vs .40 S&W I could get the least bit better groups with 10mm, an IDPA target would never tell the difference. I eventually changed to a S&W 646, which is an L frame and only does .40S&W.

I do know my .327 Federal revolvers shoot much better with the longer cartridge than with .32 H&R cartridges. There's enough of a difference there so that now I never fire .32H&R in the .327 Fed. If I want .32H&R I just shoot one of my H&R revolvers. Same with .44 Spl, if I want to shoot .44 Spl I shoot it in a .44 Spl revolver.
    Bill-66 likes this.
  14. WYO George

WYO George Epstein didn’t kill himself

Oddometer:
    My Rugers shoot better with 44 mag than 44 special, but my Colt Anaconda shoots a 44 special as good or better than the magnums
    WECSOG likes this.
  15. kbuckey

kbuckey Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I gotta admit that most of my .44 Mags haven't even seen a .44 Spl fired in them. In fact only my old Super Blackhawk, which definitely prefers the Mags. But I do love shooting .44 Spls in the .44 Spl revolvers. Somehow it doesn't feel like I'm whimping out like when I fire Spls in a Mag!
  16. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had 5 44 specials over the years but am down to one - A S&W 624 4". All though I will admit to admiring those mid frame Rugers you-all are posting. 20181115_142955.jpg
  17. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I most commonly download to 'Special' equivalents in magnum brass to skip the whole lead/crap accumulation at the front of the cylinder I do use actual 'Special' brass to shoot our club's plate rack or indoor range which are both "No Magnum" zones. Can't be setting a bad example.... until my term on the board of directors expires. Heck, I even have .41 Special brass!

Bruce
  18. Bill-66

Oddometer:
    This...Only need 3” group at 20 yards or so.

It shoots my load to half that.
    kbuckey likes this.
  19. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thread is back to life...

Quickload.....anyone play with it.

I got a copy and it came in this week, aside from loading it up and taking about 10min to look around at that fantastic 1990's interface I have not done a thing.
  20. YJake

YJake PAR Nation Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought that I was saving money rolling my own .357 Sig ammunition, but I’m really saving money rolling my own .45 Colt. The cheapest off the shelf stuff I could find locally was about $35 a box, and watered down :yikes.

Side by side with a .38 Special.
    811A7D85-D4D2-4ED7-B72C-5A716D2DB5C8.jpeg

-Jake
    WECSOG likes this.