Ecuador Peru Brasil Guyanas Bolivia ktm 1290

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Gadjodilo, Aug 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gadjodilo

Gadjodilo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leaving ecuador a few weeks ago i am now near the Brazilian border.

Just to show you the diversity and wonderfull scenery you can encounter here.

Pics below are northern Peru from Ecuador La Balsa border to Jaen then Chachapoyas and cajamarca
    20180313_122516.jpg 20180315_121619.jpg 20180315_130327.jpg 20180315_130310.jpg
    jimmex and xulf13 like this.
  2. Gadjodilo

Gadjodilo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This are from the tarapoto yurimagas area.

You can take a daily 12h boat from yurimagas to Iquitos at around 30 usd each way.

20180404_111823.jpg 20180407_135931.jpg 20180404_134908.jpg
  3. Gadjodilo

Gadjodilo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From chimbote to huaraz caruaz the CaƱon del pato and the the "cordillera blanca"

20180318_111349_HDR.jpg 20180318_123353.jpg 20180320_084507.jpg 20180320_113222_HDR.jpg
    xulf13 likes this.
  4. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Beautiful scenery!
  5. Gadjodilo

Gadjodilo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This post is about the "la manu" national park. It wa suposed to be a 220km ride with 120km track.
    It ends up being 150 km track in and 150 km out due to a road closure.

Scenery are wonderfull you climb the last andean mountains up to 4000mts on a 3 mts wide track then down to 500mts to the amazon part.

On the way down it was very muddy due to a week of rain. I was lucky getting out on a sunny day.

There is a lot of coca leaf growers innthis area as you can see in one of the pics.

20180801_164010_HDR.jpg 20180801_123311.jpg 20180802_100347.jpg 20180802_121829.jpg
    jimmex likes this.
  6. Gadjodilo

Gadjodilo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From cusco to puerto maldonado.
    Paved road with wonderdull scenery climbing up to 4800 mts before plunging through the cloud forest and reaching 200 mts at puerto Maldonado

20180805_095604.jpg 20180805_095610.jpg 20180805_133929.jpg
    Dracula and powderzone like this.
  7. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chingon.
  8. Gadjodilo

Gadjodilo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Crossing the BR320 transamazonica

Attached Files:

yokesman likes this.
  9. Gadjodilo

Gadjodilo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fresh water lacs between sand dunes near Sao Luis, Maranaho, Brasil

Attached Files:

10. jimmex

Oddometer:
    What are your impressions of the bike?
  11. Gadjodilo

Gadjodilo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perfect.

Heavy 220kg empty but really well balanced. You need to cary fuel for 500km +safety, water, camping gear and 1 day of food .So even a light bike would be heavy.

Plus i had to cross the andes at 4500mts in peru and have planed an enduro at 5000 mts (ruta de las lagunas) in Bolivia on my way back home. So the extra power is useful.

Bike is behaving well. It does not like the 30% etanol gasoline in Brasil but here it is a law. Sometime you can get even more ethanol as gas station cut the gas with cheaper ethanol to rip off people.

Did more than 3000 km of enduro since i left home, every type of weather, altitude and terrain( amazonic red clay mud, sand, compact clay, stone..... ) Love the bike, it beheave increadibly well.

KTM is just made for adventure.

Only bad point are:
    -150/70 R18 is very hard to find (only KTM and Africa Twin) So you need to cary extra weight in tire and plan very well where you will be able to get new ones.
    -fuel pump is terrible but problem was solved by guglatech filter system.
    -lateral stand is awfull and sometime it is just imposible to find a place to stop in tens of km. When bike is fully loaded the weight just make the bike fall even if the terrain is compact and flat. A real issue when alone in a remote area.

By the way i use the kriega OS32 soft panel. It is not my first trip with a lot of enduro with it. These are just a perfect piece of equipment. Even in amazonic rain they stay dry. They protect clutch, brake and body of the bike when it fell. They handle perfectly on enduro and you forget they are here. Higly recomended. Only issue is they do not locked so you have to keep an eye on the bike.
    95Monster and jimmex like this.
  12. jimmex

Oddometer:
    Thank you. What an awesome trip. Saludos.
  13. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    La Balza.jpeg

What route did you take from Puerto Maldonado to Sao Luis? I just returned in Jan 18 from Belem to Huanuco Peru and will be following your route norte through La Balza to Bogota. I rode down that route south a few years ago to the tip. View attachment 1348609

Attached Files:

14. ApexJeff

Oddometer:
    Parque  Nacional Lencois Maranhenses.jpg

Pargue Nacional Lencois Maranhenses
    powderzone and 95Monster like this.
  15. Gadjodilo

Gadjodilo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rio Branco, Porto Vehlo, Humaita then to Manaus and Back to Humaita..

From Humaita the BR 320 transamazonica to Itaituba. From Itaituba then Ruropolis to Santarem and the amazonic Caraibe of altar do Praio.

Back again to Ruropolis BR320 and up to Altamira Maraba Acailandia and Sao luis

Pics are from altar do prao near santarem, a wonderfull place.

How is your ktm 1090 handling the 30% etanol from Brasil??

Attached Files:

powderzone likes this.
  16. ApexJeff

Oddometer:
    I have my KLR in SA, I rode it down from Alaska to Patagonia and now I am returning, its stored at Tobys in Huanuco, I am returning next week to ride it north. I just bought the KTM and haven't rode it much but when I return to US, I will swap it out and ride the 1090 back to Alaska.
    I froze my ass off, riding from Pueto Maldonado to Cusco!!!
  17. Gadjodilo

Gadjodilo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had a sunny day there. I froze my hass from Ica to Huanuco.

Huanuco is a very nice and cheap city. Lobe it. Central square is wonderfull and it not as turistic as Cuzco. A lot cheaper also.
  18. ApexJeff

Oddometer:
    I will be there next week, same route north, to La Balsa, can you recommend places to stay along 3N to Cajamarca and then 8N to Jaen and 5N to San Iganico ? I assume this was your route or did you stay on 3N? Has the border crossing been upgraded at La Balsa or still the same, small and easy? Last time I rode I loved Caraz and stayed there, clean cheap hotels. I cut off for Canyon de Pato, now I will be continuing north.

(Quote )
    Rio Branco, Porto Vehlo, Humaita then to Manaus and Back to Humaita..

From Humaita the BR 320 transamazonica to Itaituba. From Itaituba then Ruropolis to Santarem and the amazonic Caraibe of altar do Praio.

Back again to Ruropolis BR320 and up to Altamira Maraba Acailandia and Sao luis

Wow!!! Very well done!!! I wanted to do that route in Jan but it was to muddy!! How were the roads when you did this?
  19. Gadjodilo

Gadjodilo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Road to manaus was terrible on the last 150km to carreiros. The first 300 km were fine

BR320 was ok but you have a short window due to distance beetween town of 300km to 400km.

Compacted clay is very sleepery in the morning because it is wet. And in the evening it use to rain. It is a lot of off road km to do. Road have a very pronunced curve to evacuate the rain (like camel shape)

Weather is also a factor. No place to eat or get water in some parts. Extremely hot and humid and you spend all day under the sun on the bike. It is very important to stop, hydrate and eat from time to time even if you have to do a lot of km to get to next village.

I used banana and goyaba sweet. Easy to get these and very caloric.

This is for the 1100km part from Humaita to Itaituba.

From Itaituba to macapa most of the road is asfalted but there are some off road parts with the sinest sand i ever encountered. Clay sand. It is nearly as dense as volcanic ash. Could be very tricky on a motorbike.
    yokesman and ApexJeff like this.
  20. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clapWhat a great ride you have done Gadjodilo, you too ApexJeff! Wishing Venezuela was in a different state for you to pass, some good stuff to see there too.