Edit: resolution pending - Don't buy a Seat Concepts from the factory

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Drif10, May 4, 2021.

1. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Edit: SC has reached out to try to help solve this, I'll follow up with an update when I have more.

They ship UPS. Charge you $59 bucks for it. That's bad enough.

UPS then just dinged me $28 hst. Fair enough.

AND 69 FUCKING DOLLARS BROKERAGE FEE.

Just passing this on to save someone else the grief. Fortnine sells a Saddleman, just get that instead.

Fedex, ten bucks. Dhl the same. Post the same.

Fuck oops.
    Adanac rider likes this.
  2. CCitis

CCitis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, this is why I miss the border being open. I live 5 minutes away, ship all my parts including my seat concepts there. I just ordered some parts off of Ebay from a salvage bike for my Triumph... engine case pieces that are hard to find. I paid more in shipping and brokerage than the parts. Brutal.
    pvwheeler and V1Vr like this.
  3. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unbelievably Pathetic Service
    I've never had a reasonable outcome when UPS was involved.
    9Realms, KayDubbya, 250senuf and 3 others like this.
  4. Oilerjet

Oilerjet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing that, good info to know. Forgot about UPS and their fake brokerage charges. Maybe worth telling SC about those charges for their awareness.
  5. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shipping into Canada with USPS and no brokerage fees (I was told...)
    shuswap1 and 996DL like this.
  6. tbas3

tbas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just had a package come in from the USA with UPS and I only got charged for the HST and about $20 in brokerage fees. I think it was called International super saver or something like that.
  7. AngusMcL

AngusMcL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've only ever had bad experiences with UPS and I avoid them at all cost! If seller/retailers only ships via UPS, I move on and find the product somewhere else.

A.
    grashopper, shuswap1 and 250senuf like this.
  8. thrills

thrills Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had similar issues with UPS over the last year. It's difficult for vendors in the US to comprehend that a slightly more exp USPS shipping rate ends up much cheaper on this end.

For what is worth, Gpbikes.ca sells seat concepts up here. I haven't ordered one so I can't comment on the price relative to bringing it in yourself though.
  9. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my seat from GP Bikes last summer. Same price as direct from the factory, but free shipping to my house. Plus no handling fees or dollar exchange fees on the credit card.
    MacNoob, Drif10 and farmerger like this.
  10. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the issue is that UPS comes and picks items up, to ship USPS the seller has to take it to the Post Office.
    borscht zanetti likes this.
  11. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my business I secure a shipping quote, all-in from UPS to deliver commercial goods from the US to Canada. Bill arrives, is paid, then month later another bill, very large bill, arrives under the pretext they were holding the shipment (for one day) in their bonded warehouse. Their quotes are useless. I ship elsewhere if the shipper uses UPS or includes all charges up front for certainty. I will say the local lady who delivers for UPS is about as cute as they come and can throw a snowball as hard as any man I ever met!
  12. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    I have some gear arriving shortly from a fellow inmate in Minnesota. He shipped USPS and at a reasonable price. I’ve never had duty or brokerage through USPS. But I notice that even Amazon.ca is starting to include ‘customs’ charges in some of their pricing. Thin edge of the wedge? Maybe.

Conversely, I just ordered some knee pads through Blackfoot, historically not my favourite place, and they had the best price and free shipping. My confirmation email reminded me that they will price match too.

I’m in the market for a Seat Concepts seat for my WRR. But when you go to their site you see this...
    Our current production lead time for all products is approximately 8-10 weeks before shipped.
    "Click here for COVID-19 details"
  13. kirbybikes

kirbybikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vikingtazz likes this.
  14. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Thanks. A bit pricy and their order to delivery is 10 to 12 weeks. I’m going keep fishing in the flea market for now and ride with my padded bike shorts. If anyone sees an SC fir a WRR please let know.
    Bayner likes this.
  15. thrills

thrills Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. ubermick

ubermick Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    About eighteen months ago, my aunt unexpectedly fell gravely ill back home in Ireland. Within a week I was told to get back as soon as I could, she'd deteriorated massively, and they didn't know how much longer she'd be around.

Unfortunately, my passport had expired. I rang the Irish consulate, got all the paperwork sorted and was told to come down - they'd sort me a temporary passport by compassionate means until my proper replacement arrived. Handed everything in, they told me the passport would take 24 hours or so to produce, and would be overnighted to me - I'd have it in two days. Delighted (well...) I went home and booked my flight back home. First flight I could get was about a week out. She'd stabilized in the meantime, and was told that'd be fine.

Sure enough, next day got notification that the temporary emergency passport was sent out, overnight priority, via UPS. Tracking number showed it already on a plane in Washington DC. Next day, I tracked it - was at my local depot here in Petaluma, CA.

And there it sat.

The following day, I called the local depot and was basically told "tough shit, it'll get to you when it gets to you."

Two days later, still hadn't left the depot. It was now four days to my flight leaving. Went down there personally, and got told the same thing - it's on one of the trucks waiting to be unloaded, and they'd get to it when they got to it.

Distraught at this point, I called the embassy and explained what happened. They were massively sympathetic, and told me they'd get another one shipped. She even said she'd ask the Consul General to ring them personally to have them try and dispatch it the same day. He did, and sure enough it was sent out. Priority overnight. Via UPS.

Same fucking thing happened. Arrived at the local depot in Petaluma, and didn't move from there. The day before my flight was scheduled to leave, I still didn't have either passport. Rang the consulate again, genuinely in tears, begging for another one and pleading for them to not ship it UPS. I was told the only options I had were USPS regular mail, or UPS. I took the USPS option.

25 days after the first call to the consulate, a temporary passport finally arrived. Via USPS. I never received either of the ones sent via UPS.

At that point, I'd canceled my flights, my aunt had passed away three days prior. I will never forgive UPS.
  17. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Nor should you. That’s tragic and that level of unresponsive bureaucracy, at such a tender time, is unacceptable. I’m glad you are telling this story. Condolences.
  18. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    When I ordered my seat, the lead time warning was 30-35 days. The real time was 61 days. They now list the 10-12 weeks.
  19. gordjones

gordjones RAT Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve given up on all the commercial carriers ... if I’m getting something from the States, it comes USPS or I don’t buy it.
    sturgeon, Holaday and 250senuf like this.
  20. ubermick

ubermick Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I binned my order off for one as well. I hit something like 40 days into the 30 day wait and was told it was 30 business days, not calendar days. So waited 30 business days, still nothing, at which point I canceled. Fair play to them, they issued an immediate refund. (That said, I always thought it was the law to not charge someone for an item until it's physically dispatched - probably wrong about that, though)