Ed's Third Trip to Mexico (this time the Yucatan) and so much more...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by edstoll, Nov 17, 2018.

1. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    In 2016 I ambitiously set off to ride to the Panama Canal. I soon learned that was too much for me. That ride turned into a short introduction to Mexico. The report is here. https://advrider.com/f/threads/ed-on-sabbatical-riding-central-america.1131623/ I learned a lot from that ride and ever since have wanted to spend a lot more time riding around and exploring Mexico. My second trip to Mexico was for a month earlier this year. https://advrider.com/f/threads/eds-second-attempt-at-mexico.1281869/. That made for a longer more relaxed trip but I still did not cover a large portion of the country. There is a lot to see in Mexico and it should not be done at a hurried pace. I am planning to spend a lot more time on this trip and slow down more. The goal is to see a lot of the Yucatan but nothing is set in stone including my departure date. It will be a few weeks before I set out. I just wanted to get the report started so I can send the link to family and friends for when I actually get going. I plan to do daily updates here. I will be on the 500 Honda again. Wish me luck and hit me up if you want to go along or meet up somewhere. I can't wait to get started.

[​IMG]
  2. BrewOtter

BrewOtter n00b

Oddometer:
    Good luck! Following along from Iowa :lurk
  3. Too Tall

Too Tall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ed,

Definitely will be following your ride report. Ride safely.

Ron
    edstoll likes this.
  4. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ed,
    I've enjoyed your other adventures and be reading along with envy. Bien Viaje!

John
    ----
    edstoll likes this.
  5. txplants

txplants Pastafarian

Oddometer:
    I'm in.
    edstoll likes this.
  6. edstoll

Oddometer:
    It appears I am going to get started on this trip right after Christmas.Although my focus this trip is the Yucatan and southern Mexico I am open to about anything. I do not have an itinerary set at all. I will probably enter the country in Nuevo Laredo. I think I'm going to try staying two nights at each town I stop at. In other words ride to a small town, find a place to stay and spend the next day exploring the area. I will then spend a second night there before heading off for another town. Of course that's not set in stone either. Kind of a play it as it goes thing. For any of you Mexico veterans out there I would love to have recommendations of places to see. This trip I would like to explore Mayan ruins do a lot of hiking and I like street performers. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
    roadcapDen and txplants like this.
  7. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Palenque for Mayan ruins. Awesome jungle ruins and a nice town nearby. Then head up into the mountains to Tonina to see a mountain top Mayan city. Then on to San Cristobal to meet real living descendants of the people who inhabited both cities.

I wish I was going along!
    Stromrider480, strick909 and edstoll like this.
  8. edstoll

Oddometer:
  9. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    Follow your front wheel. You can’t see it all, so see where you are. You’ll be back.
    edstoll likes this.
  10. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Finally got underway today. Not much to report since it was just a day of hauling the bike south.This morning I went to say goodbye to the old guys where I drink coffee and eat breakfast with. They think I am crazy. I drove to Athens Texas where I will overnight . I meet a friend in New Braunfels tomorrow. She is going to keep my pickup until I come back. Tomorrow I get to ride !!

IMG_20181227_073938413.jpg
  11. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Day 2.
    Not much to tell as this was another transport day. I did make it to New Braunfels to dump the truck and rode on to Nuevo Laredo. It was sure nice to get on the bike today but it was just a 190 mile interstate blast to the border. Consequently no motorcycle photos. I did take a crappy one of the odometer and I got a photo of todays Herione. She was kind enough to babysit my pickup while I am away. Thanks Tess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    yokesman and kmaries139 like this.
  12. kmaries139

kmaries139 n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks good, Padre. Have fun! Love ya!
    edstoll likes this.
  13. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like it!! IN!!
    edstoll likes this.
  14. Evomx971

Evomx971 Wave as you fly over

Oddometer:
    Viajes seguros mi buen amigo!
    edstoll likes this.
  15. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like the choice of bike, the 500 twin would seem to be a very reasonable choice of bike perfect for a variety of Latin American riding, have watched the rally raid versions of the Honda with great interest.

Good luck with your travels down South and look forward to your route
    edstoll likes this.
  16. edstoll

Oddometer:
    @Throttlemeister , I am glad I setup truck parking farther south. It was cold when I passed through your area. I have Rally Raid suspension and skid plate. I love this bike.
    johnnywheels likes this.
  17. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Day 3

I forgot the days stats for yesterday so here they are.

[​IMG]

I am an early riser. I got up today all ready to ride further south in Mexico! I threw on a few clothes went to the motel lobby and grabbed a cup of coffee. I stepped outside and it was cold and raining. I decided to stick around and gorge myself on the free motel breakfast. It quit raining after while so at the stroke of 11:30 I set off in the freezing temps. I rode around Nuevo Laredo for about an hour just looking around. I then went south on highway 1. The scenery is rural scrub brush and ranch land. The road follows the railroad tracks and power Lines to Monterrey. The road varied from good pavement to poor. There was some gravel through construction areas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I drove into the town of Lampa de Naranjo. It appears to be a well kept town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw an ATM machine on the centro plaza so I stopped to get some pesos. Just then what appeared to be an armored car pulled up behind me in the middle of the street. A guy dressed in serious black gear and holding a long gun in the ready position jumped out. He stood guard as another guy dressed in swat black got out and serviced the ATM machine. I didn’t think it would be wise to take their pictures. They left as quickly as they came. I got my cash and continued on freezing my buns off. I pulled into Bustamante and secured a room at Hotel Ancira.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do not recommend the place. 600 pesos ($32). No hot water and wifi doesn’t make it past the lobby. The restaurant was good though .I walked about 3 hours around town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this is what you call standard 100 amp service.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is really cold and I am sure I am out of season here. I’ll be moving on tomorrow.

The days stats.

[​IMG]
    Muscongus, mbanzi, dano619 and 2 others like this.
  18. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    Good start, keep it rolling south.
  19. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Day 4

Bustimante to Santiago.

I slept in knowing it would be cold. I ate a very good breakfast at the hotel and headed out after booking an airBnB in Santiago. I have never been much for cities and Monterrey is a big one. No real desire to stop there. I rode through the center of it and it looks like a good place to walk around in good weather. Maybe on the way back. Just a note so far on this trip I have not seen any other motorcycles except a few small bikes in Monterrey. But that makes sense. What kind of an idiot rides motorcycles when it is this cold? Um…I guess that would be me.

[​IMG]

I rolled into Santiago by 2 and located my place. After the bike was put to bed I went off on foot. Santiago is a nice town. It is one of the Pueblo Magicos (Magic Cities). There were a lot of families spending their Sunday downtown. I spent several hours walking and observing before sitting down to a mediocre Lasagna.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wonder if you need a liquor permit ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Concrete pillars. I have no Idea why they are standing on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It must be a Magic City judging by whats going on in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good thing I don't have room to haul anything home.

[​IMG]

Yum

[​IMG]

All total I walked around about 4 hours.

I am expecting warmer weather tomorrow and I am going hunting for it.

The days stats. I know it's not a lot. Burrrrrrr

[​IMG]
    mbanzi likes this.
  20. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Day 5
    Santiago to Ciudad Victoria

After a wonderful breakfast at the airBnB I rode off in much warmer conditions. It was nice to be riding without my hands tucked into my crotch. Not a big mileage day and I did take a couple of pics along the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Linars is another Magical Town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the Los Monteros Hotel I put the bike to bed and set out on foot. There were a ton of people and street venders. At 8p.m. on New Years eve they all went home. I had the downtown pretty much to myself after dark. Seemed strange to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I type this it is nearly midnight on New Years Eve. 2018 has been a good year but then so have the last 59 years. I wish you all a happy 2019.

The all important stats.

[​IMG]