Ed's Third Trip to Mexico (this time the Yucatan) and so much more...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by edstoll, Nov 17, 2018.

1. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am glad you are enjoying it. It makes the effort worthwhile knowing. Thanks.
  2. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Thanks for chiming in. I am glad you like it.
  3. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Day 4
    Zacatepec to Heroica Ciudad de Huajuapan de Leon

This is today's route :raabia:raabia:raabia:raabia

[​IMG]

Twisty and very scenic.

I spent the night at Hotel Costa Chica in Zacatepec. I recommend. Good hotel in a good little town.

[​IMG]

Highway 125 was full of curves and a nice ride but you still need to watch where your going.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were plenty of potholes today. I had to pay attention even though the vast scenic views were drawing my eyes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you come through here this is something to stop and check out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See the nice catwalk going into the canyon? Can't let that go without a look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a spot where a boulder fell from above and took out the railing.

[​IMG]

There is a spot you will need to duck.

[​IMG]

Look how clear the water is back there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went back to the dam like facility that was back there. I did not take a more primitive trail that continued on. It took me a hour to go out and back at a lazy pace. There was a family at the dam having a picnic otherwise I didn't see another sole.

Back on the road it was very scenic but lots of pot holes to dodge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stayed at Hotel Colon in Huajuapan de Leon. 350 pesos less than $20 and lightning fast internet. It's just now 6 pm and I have my chores done. :clap

[​IMG]

The days stats

[​IMG]
    fasttortoise, DavidM1, mbanzi and 5 others like this.
  4. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    looks like your heading north
    edstoll likes this.
  5. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Don't worry I will be turning west. Time for some more imput from Sjoerd. I haven't been anywhere south of Guadalajara including Lake Chapala. I am taking suggestions.....
  6. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are doing great Ed , you are doing lots of independent adventuring and finding exciting back routes using your map apps .
    For some ideas connect these dots and roads : this is NOT A ONE DAY RIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You pick your road and your nightly stop
    Mex 190
    Izucar de Matamoros
    Axochiapan - Iguala south loop , then TAXCO

OR
    Axochiapan north loop to TAXCO
    then Ixtapan de la Sal
    Then state highways 7 / 12/10 west through the hills country to Temascaltepec on Mex 134
    There north through Valle de Bravo
    On Mex 14west -- Mil Cumbres, Zitacuaro , Morelia,
    Partzcuaro , loop of lake - QUIROGA
    west to MAZAMITLA and you are near south shore of Lago de Chapala
    ( lots of snowbird colonies on north side)
    I'm sure you will find lots of side trips and scenic diversions along the way

Attached Files:

edstoll likes this.
  7. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Well, you haven't visited an ancient site for a few days. How about Tingambato? - https://goo.gl/maps/vsrjuyacgs82

Edit: Also Tzintzuntzan, capital of the Purepecha Empire 1450 AD, in the same region - https://goo.gl/maps/VEYggfG4oDr
    And Ihuatzio - https://goo.gl/maps/jzmYKYZDynv

Edit 2: I'd never heard of the Purepecha Empire before your trip. Thanks, Ed, for almost taking me to these places.
    edstoll likes this.
  8. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ed
    A couple of places I’ve heard good things about and was wanting to visit in the near future.

Colima

Ajijic. ( a bit of a gringo haven)

Tapalpha

Mazamitla

These are generally south of the lake as you were looking. May or may not be on your route.

Dan
    edstoll likes this.
  9. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoying this report. Thanks for posting.
    edstoll likes this.
  10. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You my as well hit Copper Canyon now lol. Hell of a nice trip you’ve made up on the fly!
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    edstoll and joenuclear like this.
  12. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    edstoll and joenuclear like this.
  13. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Day 42

Huajuapan to Cuautla via El Popo

It was a nice ride up 190 to Izucar de Matamoros. The road was smooth and wandered through the hills and the terrain was more open so the scenery was nice also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sharing the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't been stopping for lunch. I did today in ID Matamoros. Yum yum

[​IMG]

Popocatepetl is an active volcano near Mexico City. It is affectionately called El Popo by the locals. Since it was only about noon I thought I would head up to it. I looked to the north and sure as heck I was pretty sure I could see it. There were otherwise no clouds in the sky except for that patch up north with a faint outline of a mountain. I didn't believe it at first because of the size but sure enough as I got closer it was there. It is a huge imposing figure on the horizon. I started out on back roads that went north. They were not as smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sharing the road.

[​IMG]

This is the first picture I think the camera would get from so far away. I think you can make it out.

[​IMG]

A little closer

[​IMG]

I came to this town and kept going north. That is Popo in the background.

[​IMG]

This is the best shot I am going to get. I went until I could pull in a field so there wasn't a bunch of crap to shoot through. A better camera and better photographer would have done a better job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took a very narrow pavement west and south.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found a nicely surfaced road that was not in my GPS. It was going north back towards the volcano. I took it hoping for a better view. It climbed fast up to 9000 feet. Then I came to this sign and the road turned to rock.

[​IMG]

I started down the rock but it was steep. It was getting late in the day and I had no idea where it would go or how far. I chickened out and headed for shelter in Cuautla.

Pretty long day. The stats

[​IMG]
    fasttortoise, DavidM1, mbanzi and 4 others like this.
  14. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Dan, eakins, Cal thanks for that. I have been wanting to see the Lake Chapala area. Holy smokes I would have stroked when they wanted 3000 pesos for a room. Thanks for the tip !
    eakins likes this.
  15. edstoll

Oddometer:

DavidM1 it looks like I will be in that area. I'll see what I can do. Thanks
    DavidM1 likes this.
  16. edstoll

Oddometer:
    I was I the copper canyon area last February. I would like to go back and further explore but it won't be this trip. It indeed has been a hell of a trip.
  17. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Day 43 this starts my 7th week on the road. :-)

Cuautla to Taxco

Today's route.
    [​IMG]

It was nice pavement, nice scenery and a nice ride.

[​IMG]

Something you see regularly in Mexico. A whole family on a 150 cc bike.

[​IMG]

This is Emiliano Zappata country. I was going to stop at his birthplace and museum but it was closed for renovations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said it was a nice ride. I was lumbering along about 40 miles per hour when something shot in front of me. I didn't have time to brake or swerve. It was like it was shot out of a cannon. All I could do was brace for impact. When I hit it shook the bars but thankfully it wasn't bigger. I turned around to see what I hit.

[​IMG]

It was in it's death throes. It's hind leg was kicking and I knew there was nothing that could be done. It just a few seconds it was done moving. I felt bad but I was very thankful it didn't take me down. I don't know what this is. Some kind of cat? Please let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sharing the road.

[​IMG]

I don't know what this place is or who owns it but it is substantial.
    The jet looked out of place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I know...I do a lot of pictures of curvey roads. If you lived where I did it would be a big deal to you also.

[​IMG]

Taxco. A silver mining town built in rugged hills. A lot of the houses are on the side of a cliff. The ride into town is fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I checked into Hotel Real de Taxco. I dropped my extra weight in the room and took the motorcycle to explore the steep and narrow streets of the city. I took a lot of these pictures moving because there just isn't much room to stop. The streets are barely over one car width and they are two way.
    I would hate to negotiate them with anything other than a motorcycle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did find a spot near the centro to stash my bike a bit and take some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rode on looking for something to eat and found this place.

[​IMG]

The bowl of stuff is called Pozole. It had hominy, some kind of shredded meat and ect in it. Very tasty. All total 60 pesos with my coke. About $3.

[​IMG]

Back at the room the chores are done. Time to relax a bit. It's 80 degrees and very pleasant.

[​IMG]
    mbanzi, Cal and fasttortoise like this.
  18. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    upload_2019-2-7_17-20-12.png

Well that´s one if the gates to a ranch built by a very popular ranchero Singer/composer "Joan Sebastian",

Also going from Mexico City or Cuernavaca to Taxco is a very popular motorcycle route during weekends for it´s nice twisties, sort of a Dragon´s Tail,( lot´s of Squids tho).

Enjoying a lot your report and pics:thumbup

singerhttps://www.google.com.mx/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwidysDR3argAhVEbK0KHSERCQ8QFjAAegQICRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FJoan_Sebastian&usg=AOvVaw3empSYp8x07R84Bi7mZD1Y
  19. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I wonder if it would be somebody famous and wealthy. Evidently in Mexico you can preserve your wealth from your lady friends. He had 8 children from 5 women.

I can see how a sport bike would be fun here. Tucked into the back of this hotel there is a newer Yamaha 900 with number 46 and "the doctor " painted on it. Maybe Valentino Rossi lives here.
  20. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The wild kitty you killed was a jaguarundi
    They live in the wilds of Mexico and CA down into South America
    and even into SW USA
    . They are mostly nocturnal and not often seen . Like house cats some of them try to avoid oncoming traffic by darting across the road at the last moment . Wish they would just stay still on the grass .
    edstoll likes this.