Ed's Third Trip to Mexico (this time the Yucatan) and so much more...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by edstoll, Nov 17, 2018.

1. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was clear back on day 12. Seems like a lifetime ago.
  2. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Day 54

Jalpan to San Luis Potosi

I didn't take quite so many pictures today but it was still a great ride. There has been an end date put on my trip so I am working my way north. It appears all roads go to San Luis Potosi so that was my goal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hauling straw is stressful. DOT mandated break time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because of it being more open roads I made it to San Luis Potosi in good time. I checked into LA Terminal Hotel right downtown. You drive through the lobby and park back in the courtyard. 230 pesos about $13. Basic but not bad for the price. Location is great.

[​IMG]

Around a couple of corners and it is resting peacefully right outside my door.

[​IMG]

I took my camera and wandered around the centro and Alameda Plaza

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice train museum. It was closed. Most of the museum's were closed on Monday.

[​IMG]

I had a nice grilled fish dinner with a Tecate. Now the chores are done and I think it is the soonest I have ever got them done. After it cools down a bit I will head back up town. If there is anything picture worthy I will post. I want to go back up to a music bar and restaurant I seen.

Days stats.

[​IMG]
  3. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great shots!
  4. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    Good evening Ed... Been following your trip since I found it when you were on about page two. I have a CB500X also and think I found your story when I searched for CBX stuff.
    Great trip you are on and your pics are wonderful.
    I now see the trick to getting lotsa pics is to do less miles per day. :D
    I just have to say; I read many trip reports on this amazing site and enjoy them all; but there is something special about reading it in *real time* like yours.
    It has to take up a lot of your time and I for one "really" appreciate it.
    Safe travels.
    Bob
  5. bikermd

bikermd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those overloaded trucks, I remember them well. The only good thing is that they cant go fast, going up hills it was usual to have bicyclists holding on to the sides and back for a free ride. They do not need to have front brakes either - they are not required in mexico. Enjoy following your trip. Excellent reporting. Thanks for sharing.
    edstoll likes this.
  6. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bob. It's good to know when someone is enjoying it. I am doing it for me and you.
  7. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Day 55

San Luis Potosi to Saltillo

Real de Catorce

Today started out with open relatively straight roads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sharing the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to visit Real de Catorce. It is an old mining town way up in the mountains. It was abandoned and now in recent times it has been made into a tourist town. The way to get there involves a 17 mile drive over a rough cobblestone road and then a 1.5 mile old railroad tunnel that is narrow so the traffic has to take turns. There is a road coming in from the west and I had a hard time finding information on it. On a Facebook group I belong to I ask about it and got responses like "don't go alone" " skilled riders get stuck and crash" There were also some that said I would probably be alright. I knew it was probably pretty challenging. I guess the only way to find out is go look. I didn't like the idea of coming in the normal way and just going back out so I decided to try the back way. There were signs where you turn off the highway warning of 4x4 only use. There were also signs warning about the peyote.

[​IMG]

At first it was paved and then it turned to rock.

[​IMG]

It was gaining elevation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little village part way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The views were tremendous. I am glad I came this way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is one vehicle wide with a steep drop at the edge. Also very rough in places.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I meet a Jeep coming so I scooched over in a wide spot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you look on ahead there you can see the most difficult part. Cameras don't show steepness very well. It was rough and kinda narrow and it was pretty steep. I have a good suspension so that helps but I didn't have any trouble. It would have been a little difficult to restart if you stopped but the difficult part is only about a half mile long.

[​IMG]

And just like that you are in Real.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steep cobblestone streets. A nice little town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beautiful view out the west side of town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay I seen enough and it's to early to stop. If I did stop I would be waking up to very cold temperatures so I decide to move on. I went to the tunnel to wait my turn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know I can't get tunnel pictures but I still try.

[​IMG]

Nice views out the other side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It certainly is rough slick cobblestone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More open straight highway. I took a unnamed pavement north.

[​IMG]

The wind came up very strong. Lots of dust.

[​IMG]

And then my pavement disappeared.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good forsaken desolate country and this road was rough. The pictures don't show the whoops. Deep pockets one right after the other. I was trying to rim them but the Rally Raid suspension was getting yet another workout. This is what I have always imagined Baja was like. I was worried an 800 horsepower trophy truck might come run me over.

[​IMG]

Finally back on pavement I set my sites on Saltillo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought I would put on a Ghost Rider picture.

[​IMG]

Long day. You can tell I'm headed home.

Days stats.

[​IMG]
  8. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ed.
    :clap:clap:clap:clap
    YOU ARE THE MAN .
    The " back road " into Real De 14 on a nice agile bike .
    DavidM1, Mofrid and edstoll like this.
  9. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Good to see they have a Tropic of Cancer sign on that road. But it's way off, by about 4.5km. I see on Google street view that it's at 23.4829° N when it should be at 23.4368° N. Which, according to this calculator, means the sign was sited on data from 1664.
    There's a far more accurate one on Carretera 83, about 150km east of there, shown on Wikipedia.

I'm a fan of round-the-world-line signs, but I've only seen Capricorn and the Arctic Circle.
  10. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Day 56 That is 8 weeks !!

Saltillo to Piedras Negras

Sorry I am going a little lame on the ride report today. I left Saltillo in the very cold and foggy morning. It was a wet fog. I got wet and froze my tush off. I pressed on knowing it was suppose to warm up some. Camera stayed in my pocket under the rain coat. about an hour into the ride north the fog let up and I started to dry up. it was still cold though. I lost some elevation and that helped a lot. As I approached this mountain range I thought it would be good to dig the camera out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did my Mexico paperwork at Allende. Sun was finally out and warming up.

[​IMG]

I called it a day at Piedras Negras

[​IMG]

Since I am now at the border this report will slow up quite a bit. My truck should be waiting for me at New Braunfuls. After some visiting in the neighborhood I will be high tailing it home with the bike in the truck. I should be home Monday and I will put a cap on the report then.

Days Stats it was cold....

[​IMG]
  11. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Ed,

I hear Peidras Negras is a tough town these days. I lived across the border in Eagle Pass when I was a kid and we visited PN often. Spent Christmas Eve there once year with a local family. That was an eye opener for our entire “gringo” family :) one of my first introductions to a Mexican holiday tradition!

Safe travels home!

John
    edstoll likes this.
  12. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Day 57.

Piedras Negras to New Braunfels

The night before leaving Mexico I rode up to the border to look around. At an overlook I could see across the Rio Grande. On the Mexico side there was a nice concrete walkway. It all looked very nice. On the U.S. side it also looked very nice. Green grass and a sidewalk. There was also Border Patrol vehicles every few hundred feet sitting with there top lights flashing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

City park in Piedras Negras.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next morning I jumped the border and took off across Texas. It was cold.

[​IMG]

I made it to New Braunfels were Tess had been keeping my truck.

This is the final odometer reading.

[​IMG]

7825 miles for the trip. All but 400 in Mexico.

[​IMG]

Bike stats for the day.

[​IMG]

I loaded up the bike and went back to San Antonio to spend the night with my buddy Doug. He fed me pizza and beer. I got to meet Mark who had been following my journey.

I left at 5:30 the next morning for my iron butt 1000 mile drive home. I was home by 9 p.m.

Things look a little different than I have become accustomed to. Maybe I should have waited a little while before coming back. It is good to be home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This has been a heck of a trip. It did not go as I originally planned. It went much better!!!!!!! If you remember in the beginning I was going to hit a town, setup camp and explore a day or two with an emphasis on the Yucatan Peninsula. Thankfully nothing was set in stone. It soon became a town to town trip made up on the fly. Think of this trip as going to the biggest buffet you ever seen. You would never be able to eat it all so you take a little dab of as many different foods as you can. Kind of a Mexico sampler. It could not have turned out better. I have been blessed and my satisfaction level is off the chart.

I have a lot of people to thank. Several people contributed on my thread and elsewhere to make this a dream trip. I cannot imagine any way it could have been better.

Thanks
    @DavidM1
    @Cal
    @eakins
    @Tricepilot
    @johnnywheels
    @waverunner800
    @Throttlemeister
    @Phlyn' Phil
    @LogHouseBikers
    There are more thank you all.

A special thank you to @Sjoerd Bakker

Not only did he jump in to this ride report with lots of help I have been reading his suggestions to others for a long time. The man is a wealth of knowledge about Mexico and it's routes. He has a book that is full of economical hotels all over Mexico. It also has a lot of information geared towards a motorcyclist planning to travel Mexico. The book was worth it's purchase price just to read before going. This trip it was invaluable. I referred to it daily and it saved me a ton of money. It also greatly reduced my worries about finding lodging every night. It got a workout and is showing wear. Thank you Sjoerd I am indebted to you.

[​IMG]

Thanks Tessi for babysitting my truck.

Thanks Doug for the Pizza, Beer and hospitality.

My family deserves a huge thank you. Thanks to the best wife in the world I got to go do the coolest thing I have ever done.

Most of all thanks to God above. The immeasurable natural scenic beauty and and protection from harm. Great weather.

I did not suffer one hiccup. The bike with an 8500 mile service interval required only a chain adjustment. I am sold on Shinko 705's. I made a few suspension adjustments. Maybe not necessary but I was striving for perfection. I have a Rally Raid stage 1 setup and sprung for the weight I was carrying. I can blast the topes no problem. Handling is the best of any bike I have ridden. The only other maintenance was regularly slathering oil on the chain.The little Honda is perfect for me. It also got 50-60 miles per gallon.

If you are contemplating a ride in Mexico please do it. My trip only shows a small part of what you will see and experience. You have to do it yourself. You will be glad you did.
  13. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this RR. Awesome!
    edstoll likes this.
  14. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Ed, you've done a really good RR there - an example to us all. And it's been an education for me.
    edstoll likes this.
  15. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm sad to see it end but all things must. Glad you are home. What a great trip. When are you going back?
  16. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim, I have no plans at all yet. I have to figure out what I am going to do with my life.
  17. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fabulous. Ride reports don't come any better than this. Great end to a great ride!
    edstoll likes this.
  18. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    My thanks too for doing this report Ed.
    Your trip really helps me acknowledge that my CB500X is “all” the bike this old guy will ever need.
    BB
    edstoll likes this.
  19. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome Home! (?) Sorry it had to end. It was nice meeting you along the way.

And I echo the others... Thanks for the report. I have enjoyed it immensely. You are my hero for riding it all. Your trip was what we all wish we could do.
    edstoll likes this.
  20. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Ed. I really enjoyed it.
    edstoll likes this.