Ed's Third Trip to Mexico (this time the Yucatan) and so much more...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by edstoll, Nov 17, 2018.

1. windplay

windplay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed your report Ed ! Wish the MX border was not 3k south of me. With a pickup that might be doable in 3 long days. Hmmm...
    edstoll likes this.
  2. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ed,
    Glad you arrived home safely! Amazing adventure and thanks again for taking the time to share! This is one to be bookmarked and read again!

John
    edstoll likes this.
  3. Tijustme2

Tijustme2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for timely updates on the ride. I know the work you put into it. Hauling the bike down through the cold parts is brilliant! Makes me think about next winter in Mexico again...
    edstoll likes this.
  4. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was hoping you would stop by on your way back to the cold North for a debriefing on your time down South.

Very nicely done classic trip report, thanks for sharing it in real time! Real time reporting really does make all the difference on these trips imho when the community is right there for questioning and perfect resource of good experience.
    If I didn’t have little ones right now I would strongly consider the twin rr Honda but it looks like a side car rig is more in my future along with more time down South, viva Latin America!

Very nice report!!!
    roadcapDen and edstoll like this.
  5. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    edstoll likes this.
  6. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR in real time, appreciate the effort.

How about some stats on general costs Food / room / totals to go with the MPG?

Thx again, Mike B
    edstoll likes this.
  7. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes this trip helped a lot. Basically if I can keep my weight under 170 I don't need any medication. My blood pressure was running about 140/90 and I weighed 185 when I left and I was on bp meds. I took a med holiday for the time I was gone and I limited my consumption of food. That is very hard to do in Mexico. I got home and weighed 160. My blood pressure is 120/80. No meds. I also walked a lot on this trip.
  8. edstoll

Oddometer:
    I did not keep detailed numbers for this trip. I do know my average daily expenses for food, shelter and gas was under $50 a day. I was not living like a king but not bad. $100 a day would be living in luxury.
    Drybones, DavidM1 and davidaid like this.
  9. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    That's great. Thanks for that info. It's time I took a health trip.
    edstoll likes this.
  10. Stromrider480

Stromrider480 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report Ed, I'm sad to see it end but happy you made it home safe. I will be rereading this when i start planing my MEX trip.
    edstoll likes this.
  11. foot

foot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome home Ed, and thank you for a brilliant ride report.
    I read through it over the last couple of days...You have provided some ideas & inspiration for my own future trip.
    How did you procure Sjoerd's guide? I'm a relative newbie to such forums, and don't know how to contact him directly.
    edstoll likes this.
  12. edstoll

Oddometer:
    You should pm him directly. @Sjoerd Bakker . If that does not work for you I will private message you an email address. Thank for replying. It is good to know when my report has helped someone.
    foot likes this.
  13. ColeK

ColeK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holy crap, you killed the Chupacbra! :roflWhen I was i Coyocan, we saw a restaurant that sold chupacbra tacos.
  14. ColeK

ColeK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think all the VW beetles used to be cabs in CDMX. before I went down there in 2012, everybody and their mother and every third article online screamed dont ever ever ever take a green beetle cab if DF or you will be tortured and killed. Not buying the hysteria, I found to my amusement among the probably 10000 cabs I saw in DF I saw maybe two Beetles. They were all gone and replaced by red and gold Nissan Sentras from the 90's. Makes sense - they just aged out and were replaced by the obvious workhorse Sentra. So I guess if there were at one time 10000 green beetles in DF, perhaps they ended up in Taxco - which while I was in CDMX, everybody told me I should go there. But of course since I wasn't born n raised in DF, I rather liked it there and saw a lot of great stuff the locals take for granted.
  15. ColeK

ColeK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff. What is that cute little island with the statue?

Isn't it amazing how consistant the ancient MesoAmericans were in their designs? That little pyramid is like a perfect little model of the Pyramids of the Sun/Moon in Teo.
    edstoll likes this.
  16. ColeK

ColeK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh god, I could see myself looking off at the scenery and going right off that cliff with the broken road.

I assume you know that "face on the rock" is Dr Che Guevera - the original intercontinental biker.
    edstoll likes this.
  17. ColeK

ColeK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed, curious coincidence - I started following your ride blog back in Jan - got busy w life and decided to catch back up to see how you were doin. In the meantime, I have been looking for the right bike for the long ride - the curious coincidence is I just put a deposit on a bike being sold at a place called Storm Lake Honda - then as I was reading your blog i remembered dang Ed's from Iowa - wonder what's the chance he's from near there or even actually knows these people - I bagged a *brand new* 2014 Shadow Spirit for $4499. My strategy is brand new Shadow = few to NO breakdowns. Also fast enough for highways unlike my present VStar 250. Anyways, we are waiting for USHIP to find me someone to deliver it at a reasonable price. So curious coincidence - are you by crazy coincidence from the Storm Lake area?

Also, do you think a new Shadow is a good choice for Mexico?
    edstoll likes this.
  18. edstoll

Oddometer:
    I am 140 miles from Storm Lake. That Honda Dealer has been in business a long time. I hauled all their new bikes a few decades ago. Just wait another month and ride it home. You can stop over at my place for the night on your way South.

Whatever bike you have will make a good Mexico bike . Some are just better than others.
  19. ColeK

ColeK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you know Jeff Schultz? He's the owners son and the guy I'm working with to buy the bike.
  20. edstoll

Oddometer:
    I don't know anyone in Storm lake.