Ed's Third Trip to Mexico (this time the Yucatan)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by edstoll, Nov 17, 2018.

1. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 9 continued
    Part four Cascadas de Tamasopo.

If I were to go swimming of the four waterholes I visited today it would be this one. Very easy access and beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tamasopo. Nice town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Capped the day off with a nice relaxing, twisty smooth ride back to CD Valles on the free road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back at the room working on my chores.

[​IMG]

The days stats

[​IMG]

I am going to take a day off the bike tomorrow to relax.
    That was another red letter day. Thanks for following along I hope it gets you to ride around and enjoy.
    Smidty, eakins, joenuclear and 7 others like this.
  2. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Day 10
    CD Valles

I don't have much for you because today was a rest day. I only peeked at the motorcycle to make sure it was resting comfortably. I went to the plaza to see what was going on. There was this tent setup and appeared to be a culinary school graduation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought to myself if I came back later I might be able to get some of that. I went on to sit and people watch in the 75 degree sunshine. I came back after bit and sure enough they were giving it away. I had a piece along with a tasty hot drink. I don't know what the drink was but it had cinnamon in it.

[​IMG]

Thanks crew it was delicious.

[​IMG]

Their school

[​IMG]

That's all I have for you today. I spent the day enjoying, relaxing and people watching.

Tomorrow I move on to Aquismon and Xilitla.
    Cal, mbanzi and dano619 like this.
  3. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your drink sounds like it was the coffee variant called café de olla.

Another highway segment that has over the years built up a bit of a reputation is the southern end of Mex 134 in the Sierra about around the 100km north of Zihuatanejo . It appears a group of robbers have been handing the " tradition " down over the years and I had heard about it . I have done that route quite a number of times with no encounters but in 2012 my friend Old Twowheel and I were heading north on 134 and decided to turn around at roughly the 80 km point after the drivers of two vehicles coming south both said that there were robbers stopping traffic farther north .One couple in a car said that they had dodged the attempt and raced away , the other was a half ton truck Electric Commission driver who said they had taken his wallet and phone .
    edstoll likes this.
  4. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a fine winter mainland Mexico trip. If you haven’t yet been to Los Pozas near Xilitla then you are in for a treat.

Keep up with the fine report, love to read these live ones.
    Cal and edstoll like this.
  5. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great stuff! Sounds like you are thoroughly exploring the area as you go. Its a pleasure to follow along. As a side note from home. It was 50+ F. in Iowa yesterday! Unreal. I am starting to enjoy this global warming:1drink
    edstoll likes this.
  6. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on los pozas, and the riding in and out of there, bernal is also a cool little tourist town on the way out.
  7. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am enjoying your report. I now have an idea of how to write my own for my trip. Talk to you again soon!
  8. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Day 11
    CD Valles to Xilitla
    This is going to be cave day.
    There is a big cave East of Aquisimon called Sotano De Las Golondrinas or Cave of the Swallows. I have read it is the tallest pit cave in the world. Going to it and another cave plus the ride to Xilitla is the goal for the day.

Rather than ride south on 85 I went west of CD Valles about 15 miles and took a country pavement south. I am sure glad I did.

[​IMG]

It was a beautiful ride. I don't know how many species and varity of plants and trees there are around here but it is lush and green.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a beautiful ride.

[​IMG]

Climbing up to the cave is pretty sporty. On some incredibly well laid pavers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are lots and lots of downhill steps to get to the cave opening but its worth it. I don't have very good pictures because the staff there called me back from going over the caution tape to the lip of the opening. A good thing I imagine there would be lots of accidents otherwise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found a spot where they would tie a rope around your waist and let you lean over the hole. I took a couple of pictures this way. They offered to let me rappel in but I declined.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the long steep climb out it was on to a different cave.

[​IMG]

This was a little harder to access.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As soon as I got there a man approached me to guide me through the caves. I accepted and glad I did. He brought along flashlights and walking sticks. It was another long climb of steps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a really big cave. The pictures from inside are no good because, well it's dark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My guide. I am not going to attempt spelling his name. There are 4 large caves here. I only did one.

[​IMG]

On the walk out.

[​IMG]

And then the ride back out.

[​IMG]

I rode into Xilita which is a wonderful ride in itself to El Dorado Hotel which I highly recommend. After a fantastic supper at Restaurant Cayos half drunk and exhausted I called it a night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The days stats

[​IMG]
  9. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only half drunk? Come on, don't be a quitter! :) Loving the report, bike and pics! Thanks for taking us along!!
    Throttlemeister and roadcapDen like this.
  10. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Loving the report Ed. I always grab a guide at caves and other attractions, well worth it even though I only under stand 50% of the conversation. Xilitla las Pozas next!:clap
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  11. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two years ago I did 120 from bernal to Jalpan and thought I had gone to heaven. Then last year I did 85 in from Tasquillo to Xlitla and its quite a lil longer but equally stunning, cloud foresty, crazy twisties. and 37 south of 85 looks pretty stunning as well. Which ever route you take, you're gonna like it!!
    Cal and edstoll like this.
  12. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Day 12
    Xilitla to Xilitla
    Las Pozas

Sir Edward James was a wealthy Englishman. His father died when Edward was 5 and left him a fortune. His Uncle also left him a fortune. Edward was definitely a right brainer artistically. While exploring in this part of Mexico he decided he liked it so much he would build his Garden of Eden here. There is a lot more to the story but you can look that up yourself. He built what's called a surrealists garden. To me it is more like extreme discombobulation. Lots of what appears to be incomplete concrete structures. Things like steps going to nowhere and ect. It is very interesting. Thank you Sir Edward for leaving something for everyone to enjoy. I could post a thousand pictures of this place but in the interest of keeping this a motorcycle trip report I am just doing a few. Please research it and better yet come visit. It is worth the trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This spot right here was special for me. When I got to it there were a half dozen people there. After just a few minutes they all left together. I don't know if they were a family all together or if I stank but I was left there all alone. For about 15 minutes I had this spot to myself. The beauty of Gods creation combined with all the artistic work was really special. The picture doesn't show all the sculpture work around the pool under the waterfall. I sat on a rock and just took it all in.

[​IMG]

It is a pretty magical place. To keep the report on two wheels I did go for a short spin today. One of those "I wonder where this road goes" things. Started out pavement then went to rock. Finally back to pavement. It was a nice loop and the majority of it wasn't even on my gps with maps.me. I couldn't find it on Google maps either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stats

[​IMG]
    Smidty, davidaid, mbanzi and 2 others like this.
  13. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Thank you !
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed I swam in those pools under the waterfalls Nice!
    edstoll and Throttlemeister like this.
  15. waverunner800

waverunner800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ed-no spot tracker yesterday...is Spot OK? Also, any issues getting gas? Apparently the new President's crackdown on fuel theft is sparking gasoline outages in parts of the country.
    edstoll likes this.
  16. edstoll

Oddometer:
    I did not put on the tracker because I didn't intend to go anywhere. I spent 4 hours at Los Poza but it was only about 2:30 when I left. As I rode back I just decided to roam around a bit. Probably should have turned it on. As far as fuel, I have been hearing about that. It doesn't effect the whole country and it sounds like it is easing up. I hope so I would be in trouble without gas.
  17. waverunner800

waverunner800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear all is OK. Keep those pictures and great words coming. I've about convinced my girlfriend we need to go!!
    edstoll likes this.
  18. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    :-) Ed , the ruse of the road builders of the finely laid pavers up to the Cueva succeeded .
    Look carefully next time you are on one of those " paving stone " streets or sidewalks. They are in many locations .
    They are actually coloured poured concrete slabs that have been embossed with a large faceted stamp
    to create a pattern of those " pavers" . Notice the exact repeat of patterns .
    Real pavers , or " adoquinado" , up a slope like that would quickly slip out of shape in rainy weather . The block pattern adds texture to give grip to tires .
    Keep up the good stuff .
    edstoll and Throttlemeister like this.
  19. joenuclear

joenuclear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top of the Ouchitas, bottom of the Ozarks.
    N! :lurk
    edstoll likes this.
  20. edstoll

Oddometer:
    Lucky day 13.

Xilitla to Pachuca.

First we have to go to breakfast. On the walk there I spotted this.

[​IMG]

When is the last time you seen a VW Thing that was not about returned to the earth as a pile of rust?

I had a regional specialty for breakfast. Zacahuil. Yum yum

[​IMG]

120 back to 85 south. Beautiful day and a beautiful ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today's route was curvy curvy. About 150 miles of them. It was very picturesque also. Up into cloud forest and commanding views. It is much better than my pictures show. A lot of the way is spent with uphill mountain on one side and a long drop off the other. I would really hate to run off that road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ran across these two with their thumbs stuck out. I recognized the one on the right as somebody I seen at Los Poza yesterday. I couldn't resist I turned around to go talk with them. They are both from Spain. They each had a big backpack. The gal on the left is 26 and has been hitching around Mexico for over a year. The other one is 21 and has been doing it since last August. They never knew each other before and just stumbled across each other while hitchhiking. I had to ask all the questions about saftey and such. They said they never felt like they were in danger. They said they do get hit on but never anything bad happened. Wow, those girls are braver than me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I right this Mexico is experiencing a fuel delivery problem. The Cartel has been stealing gas from the pipelines. So they shut off the pipelines and are doing delivery by truck. It's not keeping up. Stations are running out of gas. I am keeping my tank topped off and am hoping it clears up before I have problems. No gas is a big problem for me.

[​IMG]

I made it to Hotel America ( where they speak zero english :lol3 ) in the central part of Pachuca.

It is a crap Hotel but you get courtyard parking and hot water all for $10.81 U.S. can't complain at that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is already cold here and it looks like 38 degrees for a low. It is suppose to be 70 degrees at Teotihuacan tommorow so that will be good for the hike up the pyramid.

The days stats.

[​IMG]
    mbanzi, dano619 and yokesman like this.