Eighteen Years In The Making

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by BluRidgeRider, Aug 13, 2013.

1. pieeye

pieeye Go Far...Get Lost

Oddometer:
    Lol...I seem to remember another ride you were leading that had a similar "unexpected transition" for a bunch of guys on big street bikes!

Good stuff!
  2. BluRidgeRider

BluRidgeRider Long Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I seem to have a knack for finding gravel where it shouldn't be. Maybe I should sell my geologist services to a sand and gravel aggregate company.

Numa
  3. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    Blind Kenny captures a well heeled Numa Jr. doing his best Kevin Schwantz on Route 80 north of Marion, NC.

[​IMG]

If you look closely, you will notice the broken turn signal housing.

Numa
  4. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    More Blind Kenny photos from Day Two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Numa
  5. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    :rofl

I don't have any witty comment to make on this, I just wanted to highlight it. And I may certainly use this in regular conversation at some point.
  6. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    I hope you weren't too disappointed. Did you hike up to see the old hotel foundation? Great story that....:freaky
  7. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    My son walked up there while I stayed with the bikes. We had the GoPro mounted, GPS, cell phones in tank bags, etc. and didn't want to remove and lock up all that stuff.

What's the story behind the hotel?

Numa
  8. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    Lifted from a Wikipedia account:

9. BluerRidgeRider

BluerRidgeRider n00b

Oddometer:
    That is a great story! I noticed a sign mentioning Cloudland Hotel when I went up there, but I was in a rush to check if there were any good views. I didn't want to keep Numa Sr waiting too long since he was staying with the bikes and I had his beloved camera.
  10. JoeyBones

Oddometer:
    And so begins the illustrious ADV career of BluerRidgeRider (son of BluRidgeRider), forever captured here with Post Number One.
  11. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    That's my son!

I'm hoping he'll share some of his thoughts about the ride -- including his first off road riding on the V-Strom -- and opinions about riding on tarmac, dirt/gravel and in the mountains. I'd also like to hear what he thinks about the V-Strom and KLR.

Numa
  12. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    It’s the final day of our three-day mountain tour and the weather continues to be perfect. The inverse of last year’s weather, we will end the ride without ever having to break out our rain suits.

After loading up and checking out of the hotel in Asheville, we headed northwest up Route 63 towards Hot Springs, NC. At the intersection of Routes 63 and 209, we turned south and rode 209 all the way into Waynesville. Both 63 and 209 featured some great turns while up in the mountains and really nice views in the lower sections. From the looks of things, the area has had plenty of rainfall and the vegetation throughout the whole trip has been beautiful.

[​IMG]

From Waynesville, we turned southeast on Route 276 and rode towards Brevard. Route 276 features more nice curves and pretty scenery and as we got closer to Brevard, we entered the Pisgah National Forest. Riding parallel to Looking Glass Creek, traffic had picked up and the speed became accordingly lower.

These curvaceous Sirens at Looking Glass Falls (lower right corner of photo) beckoned us to come closer, but sensing a trap and knowing that even better curves lay ahead on Route 276 below Brevard, we snapped a few photos and continued on our way.

[​IMG]

Route 276 was now running along the Davidson River and traffic was building as we got nearer to Brevard. Our self-esteem was running pretty high after successfully resisting the Looking Glass Sirens, but that was short-lived when we failed to make it past the Barbeque Sirens at Hawg Wild in Brevard.

[​IMG]

From Brevard, we continued southwest on Route 276, followed it through Caesar’s Head State Park and down to South Carolina Route 11. We headed east on SC-11 – the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway – and followed it all the way to Gaffney, SC. While the stretch across SC-11 features some pretty scenery, it’s doesn’t pose any particularly challenging riding conditions. We figured this a good time to switch bikes so Numa Jr. could try the KLR. I whiled away the time across SC-11 taking some photos Banjo-style.

Numa Jr. gives the KLR a try.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Numa Jr. photo bombing my selfie.

[​IMG]

Both bikes are a very nice place to spend the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No matter how fast you think you are, there's always some young gun lurking in your rearview mirror.

[​IMG]

When we got to Gaffney, we jumped on I-85 for a quick run northwest to Gastonia. From Gastonia, we re-traced our route from Friday morning while riding back into Monroe.

Crossing Lake Wylie on the final run back to Monroe, it is starting to cloud up a bit, but no rain fell on us.

[​IMG]

When we arrived back in Monroe, we unloaded the bikes, put on some shorts and headed to La Unica in Indian Trail for Mexican food. Afterwards we returned home, sanded the scratch marks on the crashbars and applied some touch-up paint. We taped up the turn signal using gaffer’s tape and covered the “reassembled” housing with a plastic bag. (The forecast indicated Numa Jr. might hit some rain Monday on his ride back to Maryland and I wanted to keep the bulb and wiring dry.) I gave the bike a check over and added some oil.

[​IMG]

We stayed up way too late Sunday night talking about motorcycles and riding techniques. This conversation took place sitting outside in front of the garage, looking at the bikes and enjoying cigars and cold drinks. I enjoyed a Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real No. 2 BP Belicoso and Numa Jr. a Drew Estates Unico Serie Papas Fritas. Junior had lots of questions about how to continue improving his riding skills and we talked about the possibility of him taking a riding course at Virginia International Raceway and completing some track days. We also started talking about possible trip routes for next year.
    lwood10 likes this.
  13. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
  14. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    When Numa Jr. and I switched bikes for part of the ride across SC-11, it was like being back with an old friend. I hadn't ridden the V-Strom for several months and was really starting to get comfortable with my new KLR. It felt strange being back on the V-Strom, but that feeling quickly subsided. I logged almost 95,000 miles on the V-Strom before turning it over to Numa Jr. for him to use and riding it again reminded me of how many wonderful hours of entertainment it has provided me.

The V-Strom's v-twin motor is just so smooth and it has plenty of power to suit my needs. It's an extremely comfortable bike and is a joy to ride on twisty roads. While it's certainly not a dirt bike, I've spent some quality time on it riding dirt/gravel fire roads. My off road time with it includes a 70-mile stretch of fire roads in Montana while riding up in the mountains east of Missoula.

As for the KLR, I'm growing to love that bike. I set out to build a top shelf, light middleweight adventure touring bike and I think I have succeeded. The Race Tech springs and Sargent saddle made a huge difference in the way it handles and how I feel on the bike. It felt great on Table Rock Road and handled well on the tarmac in the mountains. I find that I'm riding at a more relaxed pace on the KLR and that's not a bad thing at all.

The folks at Twisted Throttle still don't have a clue when they will get the skid plate I want, so I canceled my order with them and placed an order for a JNS Engineering skid plate. It should arrive next week and that will complete my original vision for the bike.

My wonderful wife rode with me on the KLR to the monthly AdvRider get together at Hawthorne's Pizza in Charlotte Thursday evening (her foot is still in a cast) and she wants me to add a top case so that she'll feel more comfortable riding pillion. I installed the Givi Monokey mounts on my SW-Motech luggage rack last evening and I'm planning to head to Competition Accessories to look at Givi topcases right after I complete this post. Anything I can do to get her to ride with me more often is well worth the time and expense.

Numa
  15. JoeyBones

Oddometer:
    Looks more like "Numa photo-bombing an otherwise nice pic of Numa Jr. riding".
  16. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    We weren't disappointed at all. Great views up on top! We had a chance to stretch our legs and talked with some nice folks who approached us to inquire about our bikes.

Thank you for posting the details about the hotel. That's very interesting! While Our hotels in Morganton and Asheville were very nice, they were considerably more expensive than $2.00 per night and did not have much of a view compared to Roan Mountain.

Numa
  17. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    What can I say? He's definitely got a much more photogenic (and aerodynamic) physique than I do. (Although, maybe it's just the camera changing the appearance of my aerodynamic profile.) I think Numa Jr. and his two sisters are all pleased that they got most of their looks from their mother.

Numa
  18. JoeyBones

Oddometer:
    As are we.
  19. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    On Monday morning, I headed back to work and placed an order for a new clutch lever and turn signal – both being shipped directly to Maryland. Numa Jr. got a good night’s sleep and made the 400-mile ride back to Maryland on the V-Strom. He put his rain suit on before leaving Charlotte and kept it on for the duration, but only ran through a few spots of light rain. He called me to let me know he got home safely and that officially completed this year's trip. We rode approximately 680 miles together and Numa Jr. logged another 800 on his round trip from Maryland.

At 8:46 PM on Monday evening, I received the following text from Numa Jr:

"I can't thank you enough for organizing and financing that trip. It was without a doubt the best weekend of my life".​

Life is good!

The parts have since arrived in Maryland. My brother was kind enough to get out his tools and install everything on the V-Strom. My son told me that the touch-up paint on the crashbars dried to a very good match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’ll be looking through the rest of the video that we shot on the trip and will post anything that looks interesting. Please stay tuned for Numa Jr’s thoughts. Between now and when we start planning for next year’s trip, I will post photos and texts of my rides and will keep you apprised of any major developments. Thank you to all who tuned in for our last two rides.

Numa
  20. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    My JNS Engineering skid plate arrived today. At 5mm thick, it's very stout! Looks like it's built to withstand a lot of punishment. Fits perfectly with the new style SW-Motech crashbars that I have on my KLR -- the ones whose rear mounting point attach to the frame and not the foot peg brackets. It extends back past the drain plug and includes a cutout so that oil can be drained without having to remove the skid plate.

[​IMG]

Installed it as soon as I got home from work today. Here's how it looks from a few different angles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Numa