1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Eighteen Years In The Making

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AdvNuma, Aug 13, 2013.

1. AdvNuma

AdvNuma Long Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Temperatures were in the high 70s in Charlotte today. My wife Marise and I went out for a ride on the Gold Wing and stopped by Rosedale Plantation which is located in the North Davidson (NODA) section of Charlotte.

[​IMG]

At one time, this plantation covered over 900 acres in Charlotte.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After we left Rosedale, we looped down through Weddington, turned east off of Rt. 16 onto Newtown Rd and eventually rode across Goldmine Rd headed into Monroe. Just south of the Monroe Airport runway on Goldmine, a red-tailed hawk swooped down across the road right in front of us and snatched up a field mouse right at the edge of the road as we passed by. Very cool to see it happen up close!

Numa
  2. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    The weather forecast for today was suboptimal for riding; resulting in my regular riding buddies all opting to stay at home in their footie pajamas watching Andy of Mayberry re-runs. I headed out on my BMW R1200GS Adventure riding back roads down to Winnsboro, SC where I had breakfast.

[​IMG]

From Winnsboro, I rode west over to Anderson Quarry. The last time I was there the old rusting border fence was open and I thought I might walk in a short distance to get some photos. When I arrived, I found newly installed fencing loaded down with No Trespassing signs.

[​IMG]

I took a few photos through the fencing....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and then continued west until I turned to ride north along the eastern shore of Monticello Lake. I looped back around to Winnsboro and stopped by the Train Museum for a few minutes...

[​IMG]

...before heading for home. I had put my rain pants on before I left the house this morning, but never needed them as I completed my ride without any rainfall.

Numa
  3. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    Yesterday afternoon I plotted a modest route for a ride this morning, penned it out on roll paper and then put it in my roll chart holder. Last evening I noticed the Midlands South Carolina Tag was not too far off of my planned riding area. I rolled out of the garage on my BMW this morning, ignored the first part of the route I had planned and set the GPS to plot a course to Chester, SC navigating via curvy roads. The GPS took me through Edgemoor...

[​IMG]

...and then wound down through Lando. I noticed a sign for the Lando Mill History Museum and turned off of the GPS' route to check it out.

[​IMG]

The museum was closed, but I snapped the photo above thinking it might be a good tag photo. As I started to backtrack out to get back on track, I noticed a road running down the hill behind the museum and decided to check it out. Found the remains of the mill site down there, so I took some time to look around a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headed from there over to Chester and grabbed the tag photo, getting it posted before I could get bruced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Chester, I headed back over to join up with my original route and rode back roads along the east side of Wateree Lake, down through Camden and then over to Hartsville before looping home. Nice ride today. Temperature was 36 degrees when I left home in the morning and got up to 52 at one point before some cloud cover dropped it back down into the high 40s.

Numa
    Extremenc, bobw, popscycle and 3 others like this.
  4. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    I like my motorcycles to be functional, but also try to set up each one so that it looks nice. I really like the look of the stock gas tank on my Suzuki DR650, but wished it had more capacity. All of which caused me to agonize for a period of time over replacing the DR650's gas tank with an after-market large capacity tank. Once I finally decided to replace it, I wasn't sure whether to go with a tank manufactured by Acerbis, Clarke, IMS or Safari. I follow @rtwpaul on his thread, know that he uses a Safari tank and decided to ask his opinion.

Here is his response:

I tried calling Just Gas Tanks several times to ask them some questions about the petcock on the Acerbis tank, but I never could get them to answer. I finally left a voice mail message, but they failed to return my call so I ordered my tank from RevZilla. I placed the order late in the evening on a Wednesday and it arrived Friday morning. Here's the bike with my new 6.6 gallon Acerbis tank installed:

[​IMG]

Doesn't look as good as it did with the stock tank, but doesn't look half bad. I'm still working on a permanent solution to relocate the turn signals, but have it so I can ride it for now.

Numa
    Extremenc, bobw, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  5. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thats a plastic tank, right?? If it were metal you could add graphics to improve the looks.
    Extremenc likes this.
  6. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    Correct; it is plastic. I think it looks nice now that it’s on the bike, just don’t think it looks as nice as the factory steel tank. Should provide me with 300+ mile range though and that’ll be great!

Numa
    Extremenc and zookster like this.
  7. parallaxbill

parallaxbill Mid-Carolina ADVR Supporter

Oddometer:
    Between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina
    Numa, I think John runs an Acurbis on his DR but it's a size smaller.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Extremenc likes this.
  8. parallaxbill

Oddometer:
    Ah, John just let me know he already contacted you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Extremenc likes this.
  9. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    Thanks! John did contact me via text with some helpful information about turn signal relocation brackets.

Numa
  10. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    I hate breaking in new riding gear. As such, I wear all of my riding gear until it's way past its serviceable life and then continue wearing it until left with no choice but move to new gear. My Tourmaster Rincon riding jacket is a perfect example. It's faded, Velcro worn out, zippers jamming and the armor padding is disintegrating.

[​IMG]

I looked at an Olympia Dakar 2 jacket last May while I was out in Colorado riding motorcycle. It has three layers -- outside with mesh, Gore Tex rain and an inner insulated layer. You can mix or match the three layers depending on weather conditions. I really liked it, but didn't buy it. Came home; thought about it for 6 months; asked my children to buy it for me for Christmas and then left it hanging in the garage until yesterday. I finally decided to retire my Tourmaster and make the switch. Hopefully, the Dakar 2 will give me as many pleasurable miles as did the Rincon.

[​IMG]

Next I guess I'll have to retire my Sidi riding boots (they have a hole on top where they make contact with the shift lever and also in the soles) and move to the new pair of Sidi boots that have been sitting in my closet for 5 months.

Numa
    Extremenc, popscycle, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  11. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:

The hell?

Kind of like, but worse, than leaving the fine china in the cupboard as long as you have paper plates. Congrats on new gear.
    Extremenc, AdvNuma and B10Dave like this.
  12. parallaxbill

Oddometer:
    I have been using a pair of Olympia mesh pants for several years and am sold on the quality and how well they are holding up although I only wear them when temps are appropriate. But they are great in really hot weather.
    Extremenc and AdvNuma like this.
  13. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope your new gear works for you. I have been using an Olympia mesh jacket for years now and it's held up well.
    Extremenc and AdvNuma like this.
  14. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! I wore my new jacket riding all day yesterday and it worked great! Had my Gerbing heated liner in for the first part of the ride -- it was 40 degrees when I left the house at 7 AM -- and then used the jacket and its insulated liner for the balance of the day. Thankfully, I didn't need to use the rain liner yesterday.

Numa
    Extremenc likes this.
  15. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I went for an adventure bike ride with my four regular riding buddies -- Augie, Jon, Larry and Loren. It had been several months since all five of us had been riding together and it was nice to have the whole group together for an all-day ride. Some time ago, someone in the group noticed a watch tower along the Blue Ridge Parkway (there was some debate about who noticed it first) and suggested we should hike up to it. When I sent out a PM to the group hoping to schedule a Saturday ride, Jon spoke up and said we should head to the watch tower.

We met in Polkville for breakfast and then followed Loren across some nice back roads up to Old Fort. At Old Fort we transitioned to dirt and rode up Curtis Creek Road to the Blue Ridge Parkway. (Curtis Creek Road was slow going as it was littered with people and cages because of a scheduled event.) Once on the Parkway, we turned south and rode the several miles down to Green Knob Overlook.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The view from the overlook is a good representation of the beautiful sights along the Parkway. (If you look closely, you can see Curtis Creek Road in the first photo below.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We secured belongings on the bikes and started the hike up to the Green Knob Lookout Tower.

[​IMG]

The Green Knob Lookout Tower was built in 1931 and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is my understanding that you used to be able to climb all the way up into the tower, but vandalism by some low-lifes caused the Park Service to close it off some time ago. You can climb the ladder, but the tower itself is locked.

[​IMG]

Here are some shots of the view from the top of the tower ladder. Looking west...

[​IMG]

...and now east under the tower.

[​IMG]

My electric utility industry vocation caused me to immediately focus on this...

[​IMG]

...and then looking back down the ladder.

[​IMG]

Below the tower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A family of four hikers joined us up under the tower and we struck up a conversation. The lady in the right of this photo grew up in a house on Murphy Place; the road you turn onto off of Adako Road as you're heading up Maple Sally Road. Murphy Place is named after her grandfather.

[​IMG]

Once back down the mountain, we rested up a bit...

[​IMG]

...before mounting our trusty bikes -- three BMW GSs, a KLR and a Super Tenere -- ...

[​IMG]

...and then rode off in search of food. We had hoped to ride down Stoney Fork Road, but it was closed so we made our way to Rt 197 through Hawk's Nest and into Barnardsville where we hoped to eat at D and D Grocery. D an D was closed (we arrived too late) so we optioned into Burnsville and ate at Lil' Smoky's. From there we looped down Rt 80 and headed for home. My ride total was 350 miles door-to-door. It was a good day of riding with my four buddies!

Thank you Loren for planning the route and leading yesterday's ride.

Numa
    Extremenc, Sneeze Juice, bobw and 5 others like this.
  16. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    Here is an elevation profile of the hike we took from the Green Knob Overlook up to the Green Knob Lookout Tower. It seemed like more than 311 feet of elevation change at the time!

[​IMG]

Numa
    B10Dave likes this.
  17. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    After upgrading the Suzuki DR650 to a larger gas tank, I decided to add a set of luggage racks suitable for mounting soft luggage -- something like a set of Wolfman Expedition bags. I ordered a set of Dirt Racks DR650 racks in raw metal and then sent them to St. Clair Powder Coating (Monroe, NC) to have them covered in satin black. While at it, I removed the top rack from the DR and had it re-powder coated so it would match the new racks. Here's one of the Dirt Racks in raw metal before I sent it off.

[​IMG]

While waiting for the racks to return, I took the opportunity to install relocation brackets for the turn signals (thank you @herrserj for the bracket tip) and I also installed a JNS Engineering LED headlight module. I just got the racks back today and installed them this evening. I will try to take some photos this weekend and will post them so you can see the finished product.

I didn't ride motorcycle last weekend as I was down in Atlanta attending an Xtreme Xperience event at Atlanta Motorsports Park in Dawsonville. My son drove a Nissan GTR and I drove this sweet Audi R8.

[​IMG]

Both cars have approximately 550 horsepower and were a blast to drive on the twisty road course that features lots of elevation changes and blind corners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While in Atlanta we got to check out the Ponce City Market...

[​IMG]

...and visit with my brother-in-law and one of my cousins. Great weekend! Especially enjoyed getting to drive the Atlanta Motorsports Park road course with my son. (In case you're wondering, his lap times smoked mine.)

Numa
    Sneeze Juice, bobw, popscycle and 3 others like this.
  18. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    At the recommendation of Alaskan inmate @Nanuq, I ordered a pair of Grundens Weather Watch waterproof pants ($64.99 plus shipping) and they arrived yesterday afternoon. They look to be very nice quality! I will give them a try in wet riding conditions -- as weather permits -- and will let you know how they work.

[​IMG]

Numa
    B10Dave, NSFW, Nanuq and 1 other person like this.
  19. Sneeze Juice

Sneeze Juice Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Ended up riding through this area earlier. The town is completely roped off, with a bunch of no trespassing signs :(
    Extremenc likes this.
  20. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    Sorry it was closed off. The owner and volunteers who are working to restore the village told us they are normally there on Saturday mornings.

Numa
    Extremenc and Sneeze Juice like this.