1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Eighteen Years In The Making

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AdvNuma, Aug 13, 2013.

1. AdvNuma

AdvNuma Long Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    My buddies @The Opa and @augiedog were busy today getting ready for a trip to ride the Mid-Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route with our friend Alan. @Flasher, @JMforPres, @herrserj and I met for breakfast at Omega Coney Island in Indian Trail and then took back roads down through Waxhaw and continued south into South Carolina. We made a stop by 40 Acre Rock and walked out onto the moonscape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JMforPres was riding his BMW R1200GSA, Flasher was on his KLR, herrserj was aboard his V-Strom 650 and I used this as an opportunity to try out the new accessories I recently added to my DR650.

[​IMG]

After we left 40 Acre Rock, we took back roads through McBee and then rode Camden Rd and Rt 15 running along south of Rt 1 up past Cheraw, looping back into Cheraw for lunch at Highway 55. After lunch, we rode to Chesterfield and then took a series of back roads up to Rt 74, turned north on Rt 205 out of Marshville and headed over to the McCracken Aerodrome. It was too windy for the model planes to fly today, but we hung out awhile sitting in rocking chairs before heading for home.

My newly powder coated Dirt Racks side rack.

[​IMG]

My new turn signal brackets from ProCycle.

[​IMG]

And finally, my new bug-coated LED headlight from JNS Engineering.

[​IMG]

A good day of riding in great weather!

Numa
  2. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Numa
    parallaxbill likes this.
  3. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    On Sunday's group ride, we passed an interesting looking abandoned grain silo northeast of Ruby, SC. It was getting late in the day so I didn't stop the group so I could take pictures, but I did make a mental note of its location. This evening after work I rode back down there to take a couple of photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice evening for a ride; a little over 80 miles round trip.

Numa
    popscycle, The Opa and B10Dave like this.
  4. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    I didn't have time to go for a full day ride this weekend, but did find some time to get out for a while on Sunday morning. The NC Tag was over in Badin so I headed that way first thing in the morning aboard the DR650 to see if I could get there before anyone had a chance to Bruce me. I successfully grabbed the tag here...

[​IMG]

...and then did some exploring around Badin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very busy transmission tower right along the edge of the lake.

[​IMG]

I found this interesting structure in town. Notice the foliage growing inside the building through the windows.

[​IMG]

I climbed up on the bench and stuck my camera through the window for a look see. (It did occur to me that some sort of creature might be living in that structure and, if so, it might reach up and grab my camera for a souvenir.) Here's what the camera saw inside the building.

[​IMG]

The exterior side wall of the same structure.

[​IMG]

I rode back towards home enjoying the scenery across St. Martin Road...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and made a stop at Booger Hollar to drop the tag here.

[​IMG]

The views from the bridge at Booger Hollar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just in case you think Booger Hollar is a fictional name.

[​IMG]

Numa
  5. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    I recently purchased a set of Wolfman Expedition saddlebags for the DR 650. They fit nicely on my Dirt Racks side racks and look like they'll work well for multi-day overnight trips. But they're (in my opinion) too large for use on day rides or running around town. I like the size of my Wolfman Rolie bag and wondered if two of them would work as a set of smaller day saddlebags. Something I could use to carry a few extra items including a rain suit for all-day rides.

I talked to the folks from Wolfman and they said they didn't recommend me doing so, because those bags weren't designed to be used as saddlebags. But I did notice Wolfman offers a Large Rolie Tank Pannier Kit with straps so you could mount two Large Rolie bags as panniers on the tank. I looked at my Rolie bag and there are two buckles towards the top of the bag. I ordered a second Large Rolie bag and some Flappy Strap Holder Clips from Wolfman and then ran to REI to purchase a set of web straps to run across the top of the seat much like the straps that come with the Expedition bags.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's how it looks on the bike.

[​IMG]

I didn't get a chance to try them out last weekend because I was visiting with family in the Chesapeake/Norfolk, Virginia area. (I had to transport an item too large to go on the bike.) While there, I did get a chance to tour the USS Wisconsin Battleship in Norfolk harbor. Awesome ship!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today was my first opportunity to take the DR for a ride to test the stability of the saddlebag mounting. I rode down to Liberty Hill, SC to grab the SC Midlands Tag here...

[​IMG]

...and dropped it at a horse racing track in Camden, SC here.

[​IMG]

Here are a few more photos I took at the race track. That smooth, wide, long track really made me wish I had a pass to get out there and run some laps on my DR 650.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the ride down, I rode out onto the bridge on Route 200 that runs just below the dam spilling into Great Falls Lake. The water was pouring over the dam with great force today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Rolie bags worked great as saddlebags! No flopping around; everything was very stable. I think I now have a very flexible setup so I can ride it anywhere from day trips to a long multi-day trip.

Numa
    Flasher, JMforPres, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  6. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    One of my best friends from Maryland turned 80 years old on July 4th. His lovely wife was throwing a birthday party for him on Saturday, June 30th so I rode up to Maryland on Friday evening after work. I left work a little early and took Interstates 85 and 95 trying to get there before it got too dark and the venison came out to play. Got held up in several traffic delays and saw temperatures as high as 100.5 degrees displayed on the BMW's clocks.

On Saturday morning, my brother and I went for a ride on back roads in Southern Maryland.

[​IMG]

The corn was growing well.

[​IMG]

The mid-day birthday party was a nice affair and after the party my brother and I spent the evening sitting on his front porch enjoying cigars, Irish whiskey on the rocks and conversation about a wide variety of topics. I left for home early Sunday morning and decided to take a different route so as to avoid the interstates. I headed across Virginia Route 218 into Fredericksburg, took Route 3 west and then Route 20 down to Orange and on to Charlottesville. From Charlottesville I took Route 29 down through Lynchburg, Danville and into Greensboro where I jumped on 220 down to Ashboro. Route 49 got me to Mount Pleasant where I had a late lunch at What-A-Burger before the final stretch home.

Along Virginia Route 218.

[​IMG]

My wife was up in Chesapeake visiting our grandsons and she spent the day driving home on July 4th. I headed out to Lake Lure to grab the Western NC Tag here....

[​IMG]

...and ride some back roads to the east and north of Lake Lure. Buffalo Shoals Road, Buffalo Creek Road and Cedar Creek Road all had nice views, but the tar snakes forced me to ride at a very conservative pace.

[​IMG]

After circumnavigating Lake Lure, I looped back towards home and stopped here to drop the Western Tag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It being July 4th, they were closed, but I could see some really nice looking bikes through the windows and need to stop back by when they're open.

[​IMG]

Numa
    popscycle, zookster, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  7. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    Nice tag drop. The owner is an old friend of mine. He is one of the old school british bike guys. I stop by sometime and and always enjoy talking old times with him.
  8. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Numa
    popscycle, JMforPres and B10Dave like this.
  9. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    I stopped by Sandy Run Cycle this morning and spent some time talking with the owner, Rick Clark, and looking at the great old British bikes he has on display. He even took me in the back to show me some of the restoration projects he has underway.

I like old time shops like these. The new modern shops are so choreographed and sterile. This shop had bikes, parts and accessories packed everywhere. Nice way to spend a rainy morning.

Numa
    B10Dave likes this.
  10. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    Work and family commitments have kept me from taking any all-day rides lately, but I have managed to make some runs to grab a few tags.

Grabbed the Midlands SC tag here at 40 Acre Rock...

[​IMG]

...and dropped it here at Anvil Rock.

[​IMG]

Grabbed it here in Pageland...

[​IMG]

...and dropped it here near the SC-NC border.

[​IMG]

And finally, grabbed it here in Mt. Croghan...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and dropped it at this grain silo northeast of Mt. Ruby. Same Midlands tag, picked up three times on three different bikes in two days.

[​IMG]

Yesterday I rode the the DR650 up into the mountains north of Morganton and stopped for photos on Dogwood Knob Rd...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...while riding to Old NC 105 to grab the Western NC tag here.

[​IMG]

I dropped it off here on the ride home.

[​IMG]

Managed to log a little over 260 miles on my DR and didn't get rained on.

Numa
  11. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some info on DRs.

Jon
    AdvNuma likes this.
  12. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    Thank you for posting that link. There is some good information in there for me to consider.

Numa
  13. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    Family and work commitments have kept me from riding as much as I'd like to lately. One weekend was used up by a visit to Atlanta where Numa Jr. and I got to drive Porsche automobiles at the new Porsche facility located on the south side of Atlanta near the airport.

[​IMG]

Numa Jr. drove a 911 Carrera GTS and I drove this sweet 718 Cayman GTS, shown with race driver/coach David Baily.

[​IMG]

The Porsche road course and test circuit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After we got through driving, we spent some time in the museum located onsite. Lots of Porsche badness on display.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Numa Jr. and I each got to drive for 1.5 hours on their tracks which feature a road course, drift track, slalom course, skid pad and kicker plate. The facility, cars and Porsche employees working at the Porsche Experience were all top notch!

Back to motorcycles -- the information packet for my upcoming Edelweiss motorcycle tour in Southern France and Northern Italy arrived recently.

[​IMG]

So I figured I better spend some time on the bike and in the mountains so I could brush up on my twisty road skills. My buddy Loren met me for breakfast in Shelby this morning and then we headed west to ride along Green River Cove Rd. We road up and down the western section featuring multiple back-to-back tight hairpin turns before riding some other twisty roads around Saluda.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No shortage of kudzu in the area around Saluda as seen behind Loren's GS...

[​IMG]

...and near my bike.

[​IMG]

We encountered multiple road closures around Saluda today; some due to construction and some due to down trees from storm damage. Loren kept adjusting his route each time we came across another set of barriers.

Loren aboard his GS.

[​IMG]

We got in a nice ride today and I didn't get rained on -- even though the forecast called for thunderstorms. Hope Loren made it home dry as well. Two-hundred ninety miles for me today.

Numa
  14. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    Took a ride up to Clingman's Dome a couple of weekends ago, but the closer I got to the Dome parking area the lower the visibility. I took the photo below on the ride up, but didn't take any more once I got to the parking lot because of the overcast conditions. There were also a ton of people up there so I decided I'll have to wait and come back on a weekday with clear weather conditions.

[​IMG]

Did a little tagging last weekend and snapped the shot below at Mountain Lake in the Sugarloaf Mountain Recreation Area.

[​IMG]

Marise and I fly to Nice, France this Tuesday evening. We will spend a few days in Nice before heading to the rendezvous point for the start of the Edelweiss Tour. I will try to post some photos during the trip -- some taken with my cell phone camera -- and will wait until I get back to edit the photos from my Sony RX100 II camera. I'm busy getting my gear ready and am excited to start the adventure.

Numa
  15. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip Numa. Very jealous on this end. Looking forward to the pics....Dave
    P.S.....pretty brave of you to park so close to the kudzu; probably only take it a minute or two to make your bike disappear...LOL
    AdvNuma likes this.
  16. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    We flew out of Charlotte on Tuesday evening flying overnight to London Heathrow airport and then changed planes arriving in Nice, France mid-day Wednesday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are generic scooters everywhere, but I did see my first BMW electric scooter.

[​IMG]

I picked up some Habanas here in Nice and enjoyed one of the cigars last evening after dinner and a long walk.

[​IMG]

Marise and I are both thinking about our friends and co-workers back in North Carolina and hoping Hurricane Florence doesn't cause too many problems.

Numa
  17. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    The motorcycle portion of our journey is scheduled to begin on Sunday. I have been keeping in contact with work via email and telephone calls regarding the status of Hurricane Florence damage and am not sure as of right now if I'll need to cut my trip short in order to head back home. I'll make that decision based on calls already scheduled for Saturday and Sunday.

The last couple of days we have been enjoying hanging out in Nice. We've met some interesting people including a Nigerian woman who owns coffee shops in Nigeria and is presently working to expand by opening sites in London. She and her sister (who works for Bloomberg Financial studying the electric utility industry) are staying at the hotel where Marise and I are lodging and we had a great conversation with them over drinks on the hotel patio.

Cool Africa Twin parked near the open air fish market (Marché Aux Poissons) we saw while walking today.

[​IMG]

Squid on display at the market.

[​IMG]

I had a delicious seafood pasta dish for dinner last night and it included squid as one of the ingredients. As I previously mentioned, there are many scooters here in Nice. (Probably 40-50 scooters to every motorcycle.) I have seen too many of these three-wheeled Piagio scooters to count.

[​IMG]

Numa
  18. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    Hope you get to finish your vacation, as planned.
    parallaxbill likes this.
  19. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I am more concerned about things going well back home for our customers, my co-workers and friends. We’re hoping and praying for the safety of everyone back at home.

Numa
    B10Dave, parallaxbill and The Opa like this.
  20. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    I've had .3 inch of rain so far.

Get on your rental bike and ride..........!
    AdvNuma and B10Dave like this.