1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Eighteen Years In The Making

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AdvNuma, Aug 13, 2013.

1. AdvNuma

AdvNuma Long Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some random photos taken along the way.

[​IMG]

Lotus.

[​IMG]

Two-seater Caterham 7. The driver had to remove the steering wheel to get in and out of the car.

[​IMG]

Our German tour guide, Michael, playing guitar and singing in perfect English during one of our coffee stops. (Guitar supplied by the coffee shop owner.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speaks Italian...

[​IMG]

...speaks French.

[​IMG]

...speaks crazy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Numa
  2. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    At the farewell dinner Saturday evening, our tour guide told us it is his practice to present a special award to one person from the tour. After observing the group for the week, he had purchased a gift along the route to give to the winner of his award. Michael mentioned that Marise was wonderful for spending the whole week with nine men; going along with whatever the group wanted to do; being a good sport about all of the colorful humor; and never complaining about anything the group did the whole length of the tour. He presented her, to a round of applause from the whole group, this cup and saucer which is now on display in our living room at home.

[​IMG]

We said our "good byes” after dinner and headed up to our room to pack up for our early morning departure. We scheduled a 5:30 AM Sunday morning taxi for the ride from Saint Paul de Vence to the airport in Nice. Our flights home -- from Nice to Heathrow in London and then home to Charlotte -- were uneventful, but it seemed like the 9-hour flight from Heathrow took forever. We got back home Sunday evening shortly after 5 PM, unpacked and then went out to dinner before turning in. I was back in the office the next morning, Monday, at 7:15 AM starting to work through my emails.

Such a great trip! I'm already looking through the Edelweiss 2019 catalog thinking about where to go next. After three years in-a-row of long motorcycle trips, my wife might want to do something off of the bike next summer. Marise is so wonderful to ride with me and go along on these adventures -- this time with no other women along for the trip -- that I'm fine with whatever she wants to do. I'm sure it will be an adventure!

Numa
  3. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you had a good trip Numa. The ride report is top notch. Thanks.
    parallaxbill and AdvNuma like this.
  4. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind words. Luck was with us on this trip — good weather, flights went smooth, all of the people on the Edelweiss tour really got along well together and the people we met along the way were kind and welcoming. Great tour!

Numa
    parallaxbill and B10Dave like this.
  5. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    Caught up with my buddies Augie (@augiedog) and Larry (@Flasher) today. Rode through fog to Vale, NC to meet them for breakfast at Cat Square.

[​IMG]

Augie was involved in a motorcycle accident shortly before I left on my trip to ride in Europe. A car pulled out in front of him in Bessemer City. Augie had some broken bones, road rash and a concussion. He was riding his Harley Davidson Electra Glide when the accident occurred and the bike was a total loss. Augie is healing up nicely, recently purchased a Harley Road King as a replacement for his E-Glide and is back riding. After breakfast we took back roads up through Morganton, looped over near Lenoir and then rode through the Yadkin Valley.

Here's Augie's new Road King featuring black and emerald green livery. Very pretty bike!

[​IMG]

Larry was riding his Harley today as well.

[​IMG]

And I was the lone voice of reason riding my beloved BMW.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A nice day of riding in good weather -- once the fog lifted.

Numa
    popscycle, parallaxbill and B10Dave like this.
  6. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your photography and writing are great. Thank you for taking the time and making the effort.

Ben.
    parallaxbill likes this.
  7. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kinds words! It’s great being able to combine my love of motorcycling and photography to capture memories of my travels.

Regards,

Numa
  8. EMTNEK

EMTNEK Crash Test Dummy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thoroughly enjoyed your Edelweiss trip. I have pitched it to my spouse and your photos and well written report might be an inflection point. Thank you.
    And how is it that your bikes are always so clean? You are to be admired for that.
  9. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    I think Marcie buys a lot of Auto Bell gift cards !!!
    JMforPres likes this.
  10. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed the ride report. That's our second Edelweiss trip and they put on a great tour! It would be fun sometime to rent a bike in Europe and ride a self-developed route, but it's hard to beat the local knowledge Edelweiss brings to the table when planning the route, break stops, sights, restaurants and hotels. I might well go the self-developed route sometime when riding solo in Europe. If my wife wasn't with me, I wouldn't worry so much about a day's ride being longer than anticipated, not finding convenient stops for breaks or hotels that weren't perfect.

Augie and my other riding buddies like to harass me a bit about my bikes being too clean. I never hesitate to ride them in rain, dirt or mud, but I like to clean them up shortly thereafter. I do enjoy starting off the ride with a clean bike!

Numa
    parallaxbill likes this.
  11. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    The AdvRider home page contains a story saying Kawasaki has stopped production and discontinued the KLR650. Get yours while they are still in stock at your local Kawasaki dealer!

Wonder what Kawasaki has in the works as a replacement for the wonderfully versatile KLR650?

Numa
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking an adventure bike based on the Versys 650 twin engine.
    AdvNuma likes this.
  13. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    Was headed over towards Uwharrie in my truck yesterday -- I had my wife and sister with me -- and came across this bridge closure when attempting to cross Rocky River. Had to re-route around it to continue on.

[​IMG]

I headed back over there this morning on my DR650 thinking I might just give a try to riding through the debris. I figured I'd at least get some pictures of the bike sitting out on the bridge. The road closure signs were still up, but this is how I found the bridge.

[​IMG]

I'm guessing some locals got tired of waiting for State Roads and took matters into their own hands.

[​IMG]

Had a nice little ride and did get to try out my recently purchased Fly Racing Trekker helmet in cool weather.

[​IMG]

Numa
  14. parallaxbill

parallaxbill Mid-Carolina ADVR Supporter

Oddometer:
    Between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina
    That one does flood on a regular basis.
    IMG_20140112_093659_502.JPG
    AdvNuma likes this.
  15. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    The water was moving fast on Saturday and Sunday!

Numa
    parallaxbill likes this.
  16. Woods Rider

Woods Rider X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer:
    Very cool! Hope to ride there next year
    AdvNuma likes this.
  17. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    I think you’ll love it!

Numa
  18. Woods Rider

Woods Rider X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer:
    What was your total cost before the flight?
  19. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    We did not track the total, so I’ll have to venture a guess.

The Edelweiss website shows the 2019 price for this trip as $3,090 per person for two people riding a BMW R1200RT. (The price is higher per person if you’re traveling solo and lower if you choose a less expensive bike.) We spent three days in Nice before beginning the motorcycle tour so we had hotel, meal and cuban cigar expenses there. The Edelweiss price covers your bike, hotels and some of the meals along the trip.

I’m guessing we spent an additional $3,000 over the $6,180 Edelweiss cost, plus airline tickets. Not a cheap way to travel, but we both thought it was well worth the price.

Numa
  20. AdvNuma

Oddometer:
    I have recently made a couple of additions to my DR650. I added a Bajaworx windscreen to knock some of the wind off of my chest...

[​IMG]

... and a set of Warp 9 footpegs to provide a wider platform for standing.

[​IMG]

Numa