Eighteen Years In The Making

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by BluRidgeRider, Aug 13, 2013.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice useful mods Numa. How do you like the Suzi compared to your old KLR?
  2. BluRidgeRider

BluRidgeRider Long Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The KLR was a better road bike; the DR is the better off-road bike of the two. If I didn’t also own a BMW R1200GSA, I would have kept the KLR.

Numa
    B10Dave likes this.
  3. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    I had planned to go riding in the mountains with my four riding buddies on Saturday. It would have been my first all day ride in some time. Late Friday night I realized my cell phone had lost contact with the Verizon network. I tried powering it off/on and re-seating the SIM card, but couldn't get it working. Since I'm on call for work 24x7, I had to back out of the Saturday ride so I could be at the Verizon store when it opened at 10 AM Saturday morning.

I got the phone fixed on Saturday and then took care of some other work-related stuff. On Sunday, I headed out on the BMW R1200GSA for a solo ride. My first stop was Campbell Covered Bridge located near Landrum, SC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After walking around the Campbell Covered Bridge site awhile, I headed to Poinsett Bridge which is the oldest bridge in SC and is thought to be the oldest bridge in the nation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I left Poinsett Bridge, I rode to Laurel Park, NC and up to Jump Off Rock to enjoy the view.

[​IMG]

From there I headed home in time to meet my wife who had just driven in from Chesapeake, VA. It was a beautiful day for riding, but I missed catching up with my riding buddies. I'll have to schedule another ride with them in the very near future.

Numa
  4. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    I took the day off from work yesterday and spent some quality time with my DR650 up in the mountains north of Morganton, NC. Rode up Table Rock Road on the east side of Linville Gorge and then came back down Old North Carolina 105 on the west side of the Gorge. Didn't take many photos; mainly just enjoyed the seat time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I recently purchased a Trail Tech Voyager Pro GPS for the DR650 and will work to get it installed on the bike soon. After I get a chance to play with it some, I will let you know my impressions.

Numa
  5. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    Two weekends ago I took a short trip down to Myrtle Beach on the Gold Wing to catch up with my brother and his buddy. I got up early Friday morning and rode down to meet them at 9:30 AM for breakfast and then a day of riding.

On the ferry to Kure Beach.

8B659A59-CB43-405D-A7BE-C146BBE9FB58.jpeg

Saw this gator resting on the grass near where we ate dinner Friday evening.

259A7CF7-923F-472F-913D-D8EAFECC551B.jpeg

My brother had been there for a week when I arrived so he was heading home Saturday morning. I got up early, loaded the Wing and rode back to Charlotte in time for a company function I needed to attend mid-day on Saturday. It was a short trip, but it was nice getting a chance to ride and hang out with my brother and his buddy.

Numa
    B10Dave, popscycle and The Opa like this.
  6. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    Last weekend I was in Chesapeake, VA and stopped by the Indian dealer near my daughter’s house. I was hoping to see one of the new FTR 1200 flat track inspired Indians and was pleased to see they had two of them on the showroom floor. This FTR 1200 S in factory racing livery immediately caught my eye.

A13A50E0-FA9E-4F7C-9615-085E3DC10FFD.jpeg

Those Akropovic pipes, red trellis frame and Dunlap flat track tires make for a wonderful setup. Awesome looking ride!

Numa
  7. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    A few posts back I mentioned I had purchased a Trail Tech Voyager Pro GPS and aluminum mounting bracket. The package arrived from Trail Tech and the GPS and bracket were both very nice looking units. The bracket was a little pricey, but was really a nicely designed piece of art.

I removed the saddlebags, side panels, seat and gas tank from the DR650, installed the bracket and ran the wiring harness along the frame under the tank to the battery. After I put everything back together, I installed the GPS in the bracket, tightened the allen bolts and took the bike out for a short test run. I couldn’t figure out how to navigate with turn-by-turn navigation either by playing around with the menus or reading through the online instruction manual on Trail Tech’s website.

The following Monday I called Trail Tech’s technical support and they told me the Voyager Pro did not feature turn-by-turn navigation. They told me it was designed for off-road use and required downloading a GPX file for navigation. When I explained I needed turn-by-turn street navigation, they told me I could ship it back for a full refund. After doing so, I ordered a Touratech locking bracket so I could move my Garmin 590LM back-and-forth between the Gold Wing and the DR650.

Touratech bracket with Garmin 590LM mounted on the DR.

2B1F50EF-F12A-44F1-A1AF-93C9E8A33A46.jpeg

Took my DR650 out for a ride today and rode over to visit my buddy Augie who’s home recovering from some recent surgery.

74D91103-7697-40D3-9F57-A48D7693820F.jpeg

Happy to report Augie is doing well and the Touratech/590LM setup works great!

Numa
  8. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    I got out on my BMW R1200 GSA early this morning for a little ride. Was lucky to get permission to ride the bike out next to this crop duster parked at Goose Creek Airport so I could shoot some images.

R1200GSA-SR008.jpg

Goose Creek Crop Duster-SR017.jpg

Swapped the BMW for the Gold Wing and took an afternoon ride with my wife riding pillion. It was hot riding in the afternoon, but we had nice clear skies.

Numa
  9. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    I sold my 2013 KLR 650 (pictured below) shortly after I purchased my BMW R1200GS Adventure.

index-1.jpeg

I've missed that bike and Kawasaki's recent announcement that they've dropped the KLR from their lineup made me think I should pick one up while there are still some new ones on dealer floors. I bought this new 2018 KLR this morning from Sport Cycles in Rockingham.

PicsArt_07-20-03.06.41.jpg

It was still in the crate, so I had to wait for them to set it up.

PicsArt_07-20-03.07.21.jpg

Looking forward to ordering the parts to set it up to my liking.

Numa
  10. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    Rode my BMW to meet my buddies Jon, Loren, Larry and Augie in Polkville for breakfast this morning. After a good meal at Christie's, Augie led us on a circuitous route over to the east side of Lincolnton so we could stop by to check on our buddy Alan. Alan was in an accident this last week while riding up on Table Rock Road on the east side of Linville Gorge. We had a nice visit and Alan is doing well.

After our visit, we back-tracked west and made a quick stop at Dennis Creek Mill....

Dennis Creek Mill-SR002.jpg

BMW Dennis Creek Mill-SR005.jpg

...before heading to Knob Creek Orchard.

Knob Creek-Cell003.jpg

Knob Creek-Cell001.jpg

It was very hot riding today and the ice cream at Knob Creek helped cool us down. By the time we finished at Knob Creek, it was getting too late to head up into the mountains, so we called it a day and each headed back towards our respective residence.

Numa
  11. parallaxbill

parallaxbill Mid-Carolina ADVR Supporter

Oddometer:
    Between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina
    Numa, you should have bought mine!
  12. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    I was so focused on getting a new, final year KLR that I didn’t think about your bike.

I thought you had decided to sell your V-Strom and keep the KLR.

Numa
    parallaxbill likes this.
  13. parallaxbill

parallaxbill Mid-Carolina ADVR Supporter

Oddometer:
    Between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I'm going to have to sell both of them. I can't risk the shoulder and haven't been riding anyway. Both great bikes and I will miss them.
  14. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    That's a shame about your shoulder injury. I hope it's not affecting your ability to do the other things you enjoy.

Numa
  15. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    Numa Jr moved to Northern Virginia late last year to start a new job. We wanted to get together to do some riding, but as a new employee he only gets a limited amount of vacation leave. In order to maximize our riding time, I purchased a trailer so I could transport two bikes up to Lexington, VA where I would meet him to ride in the Virginia and West Virginia mountains.

I loaded up the DR 650 and BMW R1200GSA early Thursday morning and left for Lexington after work later that day.

PicsArt_07-26-10.47.40.jpg

Today we rode Route 39 from Lexington along the Maury River over into West Virginia through Marlinton, Richwood, and then down to Charmco before looping back to Lexington.

The Maury River.

PicsArt_07-26-10.49.09.jpg

PicsArt_07-26-10.49.46.jpg

Numa Jr enjoying the Maury River.

PicsArt_07-26-10.50.55.jpg

PicsArt_07-26-10.48.24.jpg

Tomorrow we plan to ride a loop to the east of Lexington.

Numa
    B10Dave, popscycle and The Opa like this.
  16. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    Today we rode east out of Lexington. Once you get east of Buena Vista, Route 60 serves up some nice sweepers as you cross the mountains headed to Amherst. At Gladstone we turned south and rode to Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, the spot where General Robert E. Lee surrendered to General Ulysses S. Grant.

Appomattox Court House.

PicsArt_07-27-08.32.19.jpg

PicsArt_07-27-08.33.00.jpg

PicsArt_07-27-08.31.32.jpg

When we left Appomattox, we headed up to Pollak Vineyards near Charlottesville. It was a nice coincidence that both of my daughters were in Charlottesville celebrating Jamie's bachelorette party. We crashed the wine tasting for just a few minutes to surprise Jamie.

My three children (from left to right - Kait, Numa Jr, and Jamie).

PicsArt_07-27-08.34.08.jpg

Tomorrow we plan to ride to Seneca Rocks in WV.

Numa
  17. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    Today, Numa Jr and I rode north out of Lexington up to Seneca Rocks, WV. A good portion of the ride up was along valley roads like routes 780, 220, 17 and 28. I didn't take many photos today, just spent my time enjoying the scenery, weather, roads and the company of riding with my son.

Seneca Rocks.

PicsArt_07-28-05.07.25.jpg

The store at Seneca Rocks.

PicsArt_07-28-05.08.11.jpg

When we left Seneca Rocks, we rode east on Route 33 back into Virginia and across some great twisty sections over the mountains headed towards Harrisonburg. Another very nice day of riding!

Numa
    popscycle and tireatr like this.
  18. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    Sunday was supposed to be our last day of riding. I had planned to load up the bikes Monday morning, have breakfast with Jr and then start my drive home.

But Jr wanted a little more time riding in the twisties. In order to lighten the bike up for him, I took the saddlebags and tankbag off the GS and left the gas in its depleted state from the previous day. We headed back to Route 60 east of Buena Vista and he made several passes.

PicsArt_07-30-04.08.00.jpg

Afterwards we rode back to the hotel, loaded up the bikes, said our goodbyes and each headed for home. Great trip!

Numa
  19. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    Here are a few more pictures from last weekend's ride with Numa Jr.

Appomattox.

Appomattox-SR031.jpg

The DR 650 resting beside Route 60.

Rt 60-SR027.jpg

Seneca Rocks.

Seneca Rocks-SR010.jpg

Numa
    popscycle, tireatr and Flasher like this.
  20. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a trip to Spain. After three consecutive years of taking our vacation on motorcycle, my wife wanted to do something off the bike this year. We flew into Barcelona, rented a car, and then drove around northern Spain, southern France, Andorra and the Pyrenees Mountains. On the way from Andorra la Vella to Pamplona, we drove to Basella, Spain and stopped by the Museu Moto (@museumoto on Instagram) to check out their collection of motorcycles.

Museu Moto

Museu Moto-GR002.jpg

Bultacos

Bultaco-GR001.jpg

Bultaco-GR002.jpg

Bultaco-GR003.jpg

Numa
    The Opa, popscycle and B10Dave like this.