El Burro - hibernating In Uruguay

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by TeeTwo, Jan 11, 2019.

1. TeeTwo

TeeTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing remarkable about the ride over to Montevideo, though the temps went over 70F which is unusual for this time of year here.

Staying at the Hotel Universitas, nice apartment for $40 a night, secure underground parking ($5 a night) and 400 yards from Tres Cruces bus station (and shopping mall). Bought my Colonia Express ferry ticket to BA (counter 31 in the bus station) the day I arrived, one way ~$45 so not bad at all (compared to +$150 on the Buquebus ferry). Heading to BA tomorrow, and fly home Sunday.

Dropped the bike off yesterday and had a tour of the bikes in Willi's shop with Kevin.

IMG_0516.JPG
    Kevin invited me to join him, his Mum and a couple of buddies to the Teatro Solis for a Tangazo concert (music inspired by Tango, no dancing). Solis is a cool place and it was a great way to finish off the cultural side of this leg of my journey.

DSC_0558.JPG

DSC_0567.JPG

A couple more night shots of the area near the Solis.

DSC_0561.JPG

DSC_0565.JPG

So that about wraps things for the second leg of my exploration of SA. Back late September to finish the trilogy of visits with the push south to Ushuaia.

Here are a few factoids from this leg, for those that like numbers.

6,000 miles travelled - not rounded just an act of fate.

88 gallons of gas for USD 378. The most expensive gas was here in Uruguay, a tad under $6/gal for regular....eye watering.

An average of 69.1 (though a little less as the tank is not full at the mo). The fuel economy dropped a lot in the last 2,500 miles when the average speed went up. At 70mph I was getting about 52mpg, putzing along at 35-45mph on back roads nearly 75mpg. The CB500X is a relatively high revving engine, and I geared it better for highway riding, the counter sprocket is a 16 toother, the stock 15. Torque...what torque...LOL, but it had what it needed when it was needed.

Dogs…. much fewer than in the first leg. Biggest pack attack was south of Calama, Chile when I slowed nearing a police control point, about 8 saw an opportunity to have some fun. Outcome ..one of them got too close to my boot and scored an own goal with his head. So current score for both segments of the trip -

Rider - 1 (og) Dogs 0

Bike drops 1; inattentive rider made a school boy error in a dust squall on a Bolivian salar going to the Ollague border. Damage....pride and a turn signal snapped. Both repaired.

CB500X Rally Raid.....all good. One oil and filter change. New brake pads installed, rear in Mollendo, Peru and front in Colonia, Uruguay. It is holding up very well. Hope that continues for the balance of the journey.

Hope to attract some of you back for the final leg & for those in the northern hemisphere, enjoy the summer! Those in the southern...spring is not so far away!

Cheers. T2
    twowings, powderzone, Pete S and 5 others like this.
  2. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Thanks, still following your travails!
    Was that a French Solex in the bike shop up on the wall?
  3. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Safe travels on your way home @TeeTwo! Hope El Burro enjoys its well deserved rest and that she's ready to go upon your return in September :ricky :ricky

Pretty cool to see those figured you posted, 6k miles for this leg...wow. Neat to know you consumed 88 gallons of fuel and that's killer mileage given the variety of terrain you covered.

I'm along for the long haul man, hope you have a good "break" with the family and that getting back into the travel mode on your way to Ushuaia is easy once fall (here) rolls around :nod :thumb :thumbup
  4. TeeTwo

TeeTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No idea roadcapDen, he does have a bunch of European bikes in the shop....I will have to look when I get back in September and let you know.....my forgetfulness notwithstanding.

Thanks liv2day ---- catch you in September.

T2
    roadcapDen likes this.
  5. Slickrick

Slickrick Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, see you for the next leg. I have been considering the CB500X for a SA trip as well, good to hear its working well.
    TeeTwo likes this.
  6. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great following along. I’ll look forward to the final leg - there’s some beautiful scenery down there. You’ll be fine with a September timeframe. It’ll be chilly so plan for that and risk of snow in the passes but still do-able. Plus you’re an expert with snow in high passes now, after your Paso de Jama experience!
  7. miguelR

miguelR biker

Oddometer:
    Exact. The Velosolex were very popular here in Montevideo in the 60s
    roadcapDen likes this.