1. eNewsletter Sign Up

El Burro - Home from Buenos Aires.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by TeeTwo, Jan 11, 2019.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a great update @TeeTwo, how nice to find a fantastic town like you did! Places like that make travel so rewarding, especially when you find the people to be welcoming and friendly. Glad to have read this after reading the other post :thumb
  2. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Damn, what an adventure @TeeTwo :-). 16k plus miles, all the countries visited, all the obstacles overcome, all the memories. Congrats on your journey, truly appreciate you taking the time to tell us your travels. I hope to ride South America some day, friends did a fly-and-ride in Chile & Argentina earlier this year and even that was a hell of an adventure for 'em.

Looking forward to reading the PS. Hope the flight home goes smoothy and El Burro makes it back to the States without any ado.

Thanks again for the report, a great pleasure to read and follow the entire way through :thumb :nod
    TeeTwo likes this.
  3. TeeTwo

TeeTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has been great to have you along from the get go liv2day. Follow your dreams ...… and I will be following your report.

Cheers. T2
    liv2day likes this.
  4. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    Read the whole thing this morning, just a fantastic report. Thanks for writing it up.
    You pictures were excellent, what did you use for cameras, especially the on bike pictures?
    A good read. I hope El Burro makes it home safe and sound.
    TeeTwo likes this.
  5. IndiBiker

IndiBiker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonderful RR. I always love Argentina - big football (Soccer) fan and Maradona is an icon!

No kids ever playing soccer on the streets?
    TeeTwo likes this.
  6. TeeTwo

TeeTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks ncroadtoad. Glad you enjoyed the report. As a solo rider it fills the sometimes empty evenings and gives one time to pause and reflect on events of the day. Important when you are up there in years, I'm already forgetting stuff .

As for cameras, the bike used a TomTom Bandit, no longer made but an absolute breeze to use. NO screen on the device (link it to the phone) so the battery would last all day on a charge. TomTom got out of the business...shame. I did a whole lot of video on it also.

The hand held camera a decent point and shoot Panasonic DMC-ZS50. Compact but reasonable quality for a non-photographer like me.

Cheers.

T2
    Joris van O likes this.
  7. TeeTwo

TeeTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Indibiker….not as many as I had expected, though at the final stop in BA there was a 5-a-side competition going on for adults, on a grass field sponsored by a pharma company selling joint relief drugs!

Ciao. J\T2
  8. TeeTwo

TeeTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So to the last journey related post on my travelogue. Again thanks for following along or taking time out to flick through the thread.

My life for 22 weeks on the road, ..it is surprising how little you need. I was still carrying what I didn't use, ever, a tent for example. But it gave me peace of mind that I could shelter if I broke down in the boonies....solo rider neurosis perhaps.

DSC_0741.JPG

The hotel offered the option of bumping the bike up the kerb you see and putting it under cover. El Burro has seen worse than a little rain and with that rear bearing … nah.....she can get wet!

The last 12 miles....I took a back route rather than the toll road. It was no further in miles...but, it had a section that was unmade and rough, had I have known I may have spared the rear bearing this last few miles of abuse.

DSC_0744.JPG

As I approached the airport I passed the cellphone parking lot... a global practice regardless of how many no parking signs might be posted. I have never seen a coach do it though.

DSC_0745.JPG

We made it to the cargo area and were joined at 8.45 by the DakarMoto icons, Sandra and Javier. As some of you know Javier used to wrench in his own workshop, when I mentioned the rear bearing problem and the last 800 miles he simply shook his head, looked at me and shook his head again. Fortunately, Sandra holds the airside pass so I didn't have to take any more non-verbal admonishment...LOL!

DSC_0748.JPG

Focussed, efficient and fast. Sandra knows how to work the system and was greeted by pretty much anyone who passed by. She kept apologizing for the slowness...I was out of there by 11.15am! Sandra, that is called slick...trust me.

The stages of encapsulation and screening...sneakily taken. Just like the cellphone lot no parking signs, the cargo area is a no photography zone.....sorry.

DSC_0750.JPG DSC_0751.JPG

Full body scan for El Burro, but escaped a cavity search AFAIK....she blushes easily so will be happy with that.

DSC_0753.JPG

Arrived home in Virginia yesterday morning, everything on time...thankyou Delta. El Burro landed in Houston this morning courtesy of United and has a connecting flight to Washington Dulles....bitching about the layover I wouldn't be surprised. Trucked to RIC airport arriving Friday.

That is it - journey done. I has been the ride of my life (so far).

T2
  9. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well done! Minimal gear and a smallish bike sure seem to make for maximum flexibility and enjoyment. Any changes you'd make in retrospect?
  10. TeeTwo

TeeTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would carry less, instead of a tent, bed roll, sleeping bag etc , just take a bivvy sac or emergency mylar bag. Other travelers had made the same observation. I should have learned from them, I didn't but you have to do what makes YOU comfortable. At the time I started out I needed all that stuff to keep my mind off of that particular 'what if' scenario.

A taller windscreen in Colombia/Ecuador/Peru for the rain would have been nice - the stock screen is VERY good at deflecting the wind but worthless when it is raining. Now, the problem with the CB500X RR conversion, if you put the fat bars on they foul even on the small windshield unless spacers and the low setting are used. I would rather have the fatbars...a choice I made.

If it had a 650cc twin motor that would have been perfect, the 500 puffs a little at times, but it didn't spoil the fun. Another compromise I made...I did not want the bulk of a WeeStrom or a thumper.

All in all I was happy with the choice. As I mentioned at the beginning (I think) I sold a BMW R12GS ('05 90,000 miles) in 2015 to put the money into the CB - it was the right choice for me, for this trip, I believe.

Cheers T2
  11. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  12. liv2day

Oddometer:
    So great to read you're back in the States and didn't encounter any travel issues on the way home! And El Burro made it back to the US and same thing, so nice to have the folks who know the system get her through everything a-ok.

Bet it feels a bit weird being home and not a nomad? Imagine you have tons of photos and stuff to sift through, it's great to see your travel kit. Be interesting to see it all laid out too, that is what's compiled in the bags you packed.

Welcome home @TeeTwo. You might not be thinking of it (yet), but what's next? A stroll around the block probably sounds boring as hell :lol3 :lol3. Or maybe it sounds like bliss :D
    TeeTwo likes this.
  13. TeeTwo

TeeTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bliss......for now, liv2day. But wifey is waiting for the shoe to drop on the next excursion …… :brow
  14. TeeTwo

TeeTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    El Burro is home, arrived last Tuesday at Richmond airport in a snow storm...jeez. Cleared customs on Tuesday - easy, no issues, no agent. I picked it up in a box truck on Wednesday. All good.

IMG-20191112-WA0001.jpeg

DSC_0766.JPG
    DSC_0767.JPG
    She is in rehab now. Dropped the rear wheel off to have the bearings replaced. Only the bearing by the brake rotor had noticeable play and notchiness, the other two seemed OK. Obviously they will all be replaced.

The DID VX2 chain had 8 really stiff links of the 112. Not bad given distance travelled (16,650 miles) the conditions, the gasoline power wash in Peru (!...got it clean though :becca) and the challenges of lubing and cleaning on the road. . The rear sprocket had a little wear but had at least another 10K in it, the counter sprocket (Superlite) was shot. The one I removed before the trip (with 12K mostly blacktop) looked much like the new one on the bottom...just shows what grit, sand and a nasty chain does.

DSC_0769.JPG

I thought the chain looked a little slack towards the end ...LOL!

Anyway. here are some costs that others planning a trip might like to know. Round numbers.

Bike shipping costs. Export from Miami to Bogota, import from Buenos Aires to Richmond - total $4,650
    Flights for me for the three legs (by choice)
    Miami - Bogota, Lima - Richmond, Richmond - Huánuco, Buenos Aires - Richmond, Richmond - Montevideo, Buenos Aires - Richmond. $4,500
    Gas $870
    Lodging (mostly single/double room (60/40) usually with private bath), food and misc $8,400 - 148 days/nights so about $57 per day/night. $63 with gas per day.
    NaviMag ferry $750, 4 days/nights full board.

Total cost around $19,200 for 152 days excludes refurb costs on the moto (probably about $600 inc front tire most of the work I will do myself)...I'll take it compared to $9,500, shared room, for 19 days on a guided group tour of Patagonia, bike included, airfare excluded.

That's a wrap folks. Happy travels and be safe on your adventures.

T2
  15. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Thanks T2. You had a fantastic trip and i appreciate you sharing it with us.
    Next?
  16. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    congrats and welcome back.

thanks for the numbers.
  17. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report! Thoroughly enjoyed it. So where to next? Post something here so we don’t miss it, por favor.
  18. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report! All things considered, that was not overly expensive for a 4 1/2 month adventure that included little camping. Roughly $141 per day (including shipping the bike and airfare) or $4200 a month, less than most people spend at home. Not bad for a trip that mostly avoided roughing it.
  19. TeeTwo

TeeTwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks all.

I just updated the numbers, the costs of the enforced stay in Bogota were included but not the additional 16 days! So it was about $6 cheaper per day that originally advertised. 5 months in all.

Well, I'm thinking something a little less grand, 6 weeks or so in Europe following the Speedway Grand Prix circuit, rounds 4 - 7 (UK, Poland and 2 events in Sweden), plus the countries in between of course. Just an idea. I have been to Cardiff a couple of times and Stockholm once and LOVE the sport (used to go to the track every week when I was a kid in the UK). Anyway, it looks like Greg Hancock at 50 years-old will make his return to wave the flag for the USA....but I'm torn as I would like to see Tai Woffinden have a good year.

Ciao.

T2