El Eclipse Total del Sol - 2 Jul 2019

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by DavidM1, Sep 4, 2017.

1. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
  2. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    OK, I've booked my flight. Into Santiago and returning from Lima.

Now I need to check out motorcycle rentals. And a flight from Santiago to Lima (must be loads of them).
  3. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a few friends (non-riders) who made reservations in the totality area at least a year ago, and even then they seemed to be finding places full. I'd check availability of vehicles and lodging carefully before making any elaborate plans. I'm sure there are ways to view casually, as there were during the recent eclipse near my home town--thousands of people camped out in fields and freeway rest areas--but that might not be what you had in mind.

Hope that's helpful.

Mark
    DavidM1 likes this.
  4. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Thanks, @markharf - I'm not very good at planning. I see motorcycle rental in Chile is outrageously expensive, so I'll probably just rent a car there, then I can crash out in it if necessary (I've done that before, e.g. the eclipse in South Africa in 2002). The eclipse is only 500km north of Santiago, no sweat.

Cheers.
  5. Javier K.

Javier K. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    July 2nd at Paso Agua Negra at 4780 Metres? In July? Will be very tough… Don’t expect to meet many bike adventurers, here will be in middle of winter, and at that altitude will be more than freezing, lots of snow and ice on the roads, even worst if the “Viento Blanco” catch you!!!

All if you can get up there, the Agua Negra Pass is close from April to November, not sure if they will let you pass even to some close point. For many passes in the area when they keep it open during the winter, they only allow 4x4s or small vehicles with tire chains….

Check if there will be alternative places for meet and see the event.

Here copy some useful links for the Pass conditions:
    https://www.argentina.gob.ar/pasosinternacionales/detalle/ruta/27/Agua-Negra
    http://www.pasosfronterizos.gov.cl/complejos-fronterizos/coquimbo/paso-agua-negra/
    https://pasosfronterizos.com/paso-agua-negra.php

Saludos
    J...
    DavidM1 likes this.
  6. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Javier, I will heading for La Higuera near the coast.
  7. Javier K.

Javier K. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DavidM1 likes this.
  8. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    "expecting over a quarter-million visitors for the days surrounding the eclipse"

My goodness, I hope that's an exaggeration. I'm used to just rocking up at eclipses. I guess I'll definitely be using the rental car for accommodation.

I hope to see next year's eclipse in Argentina.
  9. markharf

Oddometer:
    Seems to me the world is suggesting you try to get better at planning. Of course it's entirely up to you, but I'm noticing you started out thinking motorcycle, high altitude pass, and easy flight between two national capitals. You've already been disabused of the first two, and perhaps haven't figured out that the coast will be packed with tourists, the airports will be crowded, chaotic, and perhaps totally overwhelmed, and your flight will be at least expensive, possibly unattainable. Not the end of the world, but a lot more palatable with some basic planning.

Besides, how else are you going to meet Javier and (if you're lucky) Sandra?
  10. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    The pass was never part of the plan - maximising totality is, which means the coast. This will be my 12th eclipse - first one was by R80GS to Finland in '90, chasing them on 5 continents since then.
    I'll be arriving in Chile a week before the event - I'm not too worried.

Maybe I'll meet Javier next year. Who's Sandra?

That's what I'm doing now.
  11. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    LOL, I'm not listening to your advice. I've just booked a Santiago-Lima flexible flight for USD 174.

Seat 4F, so I can view the Andes.
  12. markharf

Oddometer:
    Nope, don't listen. You don't seem to have much of a clue, but that's ok. In any case, good idea, planning ahead like that. Post back here and tell us how it went.

Hey, does the number of continents since 1990 earn me anything? Or views of the Andes? You've got some catching up to do. Enjoy!
    GuateRider and DavidM1 like this.
  13. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what you're saying there. I had a good view of the Andes on a flight from Lima to Cancun after the '94 Bolivian eclipse.
  14. stevedo

stevedo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We were recently in La Vicuna, not far inland from La Serena on the coast, and the hotel owner was telling us that they had people wanting to pay for rooms five years ago for the eclipse. The hotel owners didn't know at the time why they had enquiries so far in advance and then they did some research and charged accordingly :-). I imagine finding accommodation may be a challenge.
    GuateRider and DavidM1 like this.
  15. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Oh dear - it's going to be chaotic. I'll only be in the area for 2 nights, so I hope I can survive.
  16. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    My German eclipse buddies, who I haven't seen since the '09 China eclipse, have an apartment reserved in La Serena. It looks like I'll be sleeping on the floor there.

And motorcycle reserved with Toby in Huanuco, for the 3 weeks in Peru section. It's all coming together.
  17. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    That was a good eclipse, not a cloud in the sky at our viewing site at Vicuna. But the traffic was a bit crazy after the event. Apparently 300,000 people descended on the region. Some guys at my hotel here in Santiago were stuck in traffic on the Pan-American Highway for 10 hours!
    Flying up to Lima tomorrow.
    Dirt2007 and Throttlemeister like this.
  18. zolo

zolo Moto Patagonia Tours and Rentals in Chile

Oddometer:
    I had family that went and the traffic on Ruta 5 leaving back to Santiago was bonkers they said. Looks like everyone had a nice time.

Now to prepare for next year here in the South of Chile for the same Eclipse in December 2020!

Sound be interesting...
    DavidM1 and GuateRider like this.
  19. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer: