Electric bicycles

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by configurationspace, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't feel bad, because watts are whatevers.

You'll see references to peak watts, rated watts (,er,legal watts) , and then claimed watts..... For most of the world, legal watts are 250w " rated" , yet the motors seem capable of putting out huge torque at cadences that just don't compute at the rated watts......( power kw = torque nm x revs / 9.5488 ) - presumably there is a gear reduction occurring between that 250 w rated motor and the cranks @ 100 cadence if we're seeing 80 nm of torque.....or perhaps there is some marketting magic happening between the manufacturers, legislators , and your legs?

Then we have motors marketed claiming much higher watts yet seemingly not propelling the bike significantly faster....often looking exactly the same as another chinese import .....

Ride the bike, does it feel like watt you want?
    phillyrube and Richarde1605 like this.
  2. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speakers and amps can be, and are rated in a few different ways, all different to an ebike.
    There is 'peak mean power output' PMPO, this sells because it sounds powerful, but only makes that power level at some frequencies, then RMS, 'root mean square'.
    ebike motors these days are generally brushless ac, the controllers do some funky stuff to convert the dc to ac much more efficiently than a straight dc motor.
    I have a mid drive 1500W Bafang, 52V 20Ah samsung triangle pack on a 29er hardtail.
    Oh, and rarely ask for more than 250 or so watts so I can get well over 100km in the 20+kmh range.
  3. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    I'm still plugging away on the Qulbix, I zapped a connector with 84V and fried it so I need to get another for my off-board BMS balancing plug.

Plus I still need to fix the swingarm from last years disaster.

So I bought, well tomorrow, a brand new Rad Rover for a pretty steep discount. I've always thought these were awesome and one with 10 miles popped up and I snagged it. I am playing around with solar these days so I thought it would be cool to mount an MPPT boost solar controller and a 50W panel on the back to see how it can extend range.

00P0P_1BCc9M9B4Pq_1200x900.jpg
  4. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A 50W panel is about 2' square. I guess it'll fit, but, it'll look like a wing.
  5. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    It will also take the better part of a week to charge your battery.
  6. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    So the guy sold it 5 minutes before i was supposed to pick it up as we agreed last night. Twas not to be.

All the more incentive to get back to work on mine.
  7. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    that wasn't very nice of him
  8. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    Damn shame. I have one of those cargo bikes too, and I love mine. Hauls a lot with ease
  9. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    THoughts on the Delfast bikes?
  10. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Yeah but was a case of non buyer's jubilation. Ended up buying a hot rod electric longboard instead which im pumped about. I rode longboards 15 years ago when i lived in Montana so this will be fun.

Plus i really need to finish mine. I saw there are some really neat mid drives coming out that are pretty stealthy something my qulbix is def not
  11. trooper5707

trooper5707 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hahaha... When I bought the radrover I expected everything they commented on... it's a cheap chinese product... They are expecting too much.... Silly folks still think you don't have to pay for what you get and looking for a new car type experience... Go spend 3x and you will still have bicycle-type issues (e.g. chain needs frequent lubing, derailleurs get bent/out of adjustment, tires wear quickly and unless sealed get flats, fasteners loosen, etc.) since they aren't built like a heavy new car <1/20 the price... My experience with their support was good... much better than buying from alibaba which is sort of what it ought to be compared to...
    liberpolly likes this.
  13. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's some pretty ugly stuff. I wonder if it is a minimal or major amount of problems though because it would really depend on how many bikes they've sold. I've been looking at a 'step through' (in white) from Rad for my wife. They've been "out of stock" for a couple months. . When they get the black ones in stock, they're sold out in a day or two. That means that either they only get a very few bikes, or they're selling a chit-ton of them.
    Either way, thanks for that link. Good to see what's going on with the company.
  14. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    According to that site, it sounds just like a new car type experience - if it's 1985 and the car is a Yugo. :D

(Those injury pics are pretty awful, but bicycling, electrically assisted or not, holds the risk of personal injury, and maybe they haven't realized that the higher speeds of electric assistance will result in more severe injury to unprotected body parts?):dunno
  15. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL true that... but most folks buying an '85 yugo weren't expecting a Porsche 944 or for that matter even an Accord...
  16. FlagRS

FlagRS Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer:
    My Rad Rover experience has been pretty good so far. Fortunately there is a bike shop in my town (pop 100K) that has a demo and shipping arrangement with Rad. Before buying we did a short free demo and then bought and had the bikes shipped to the shop for free assembly. We were riding the new bikes within a week off ordering them. After the assembly I noticed a frayed brake cable from shipping. I emailed Rad and they quickly authorized the repair at the local shop.

The Rad Rover is a heavy bike and if you don't have much two wheel experience I could see how a person could get in over their head. I could also see how higher levels of PAS could get someone in trouble. Changing gears and changing levels of PAS and a big bike takes some practice to be proficient, similar to a motor bike and a lot different than a bicycle IMO.

Range seems fine for me, I can get 25 - 30 miles out of a charge. My wife who weighs about 80 lbs less than me and uses less PAS than me can probably get 40 - 50 miles out of a charge on her Rad Rover at the same speeds.

Bike racks - I just bought a 1UP USA Super Duty Double to carry our two Rad Rovers. The bike rack capacity is 275 lbs and has a built-in anti-wobble mechanism. I will carry them without the battery and yes they will be a little bit of a bitch to lift up onto the rack.

Again FWIW, my experience with our Rad Rovers has been pretty good.
    motomem likes this.
  17. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    I guess now I had a blow out on my R mini when I thought I picked up a puncture. Never could find anything in the tire though. I assumed it was glass as I was riding on the street. Other than that and a pedal coming loose, no complaints. I run 35 psi. It's a cheap bike for sure.
  18. MrBob

MrBob On a whim Supporter

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not a bicycle, but a very interesting electric vehicle. I would buy one of these in a second if you didn't need actual money to do so.
    FlagRS likes this.
  19. MiamiMotorcyclist

MiamiMotorcyclist used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer:
    Boosted board? Love mine.
  20. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    No I bought a Meepo V3

Seemed appropriate I got it July 3rd. Had a total blast on it so far, probably done 30 miles between me and my kids, they love it. Goes way too fast for me so I limit myself to HI speed and stay out of Pro mode.

High speed seems like it'll hit 20 easily. Top speed is 30.

https://www.meepoboard.com/boards/meepo-v3-america/
    Watercat and MiamiMotorcyclist like this.