Electric bicycles

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by configurationspace, Mar 19, 2015.

1. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Tyler my border collie remembers the loops, he leads and makes the correct turns at junctions, crazy, blows my mind his sense of direction. Mostly cattle is what we come across. So fun to have a good trail dog !!
    HapHazard likes this.
  2. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leash is only for the multi-use paths where there are plenty of other folks and dogs - and only for the dog that was more easily distracted. Not all dogs are the same, with the prior dog the leash had no value since I could always get her immediate attention and obedience... last dog would get fixated and "tune out" so with her training collars and/or leashes were a good idea when around lots of other folks and dogs or other "distractions"... She caused no problems and never went far from my side (I was definitely her "protector" in her eyes) but would very occasionally just "tune-out" and it's silly to take chances... Prior dog was raised on very large property, silly confident, responded to any of my verbal commands instantly, unusually people and domestic animal friendly - wild animals would get killed quickly though
    HapHazard and flei like this.
  3. Buzzbomber

Buzzbomber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apologies if it’s been covered already, but any thoughts on the Juiced Camp Scrambler? Looks pretty nice for a casual ride and occasional easy trails for $1600.
  4. PullingG's

PullingG's What?

Oddometer:
    I have been getting the ad popups on the Camp Scrambler too. Looks pretty cool.
  5. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    OK not an electric bike but somewhat related figured you'd be interested.

I bought a Meepo V3 ER electric longboard in July. Went out on longest ride today to see what the range is and explore a sweet State park near my house. Pavement was just perfection, no cars as main access road is dead end and smooooooth.

Here's screen shot of distance recording. I started with 100% and ended on 36%. I could tell the cells were losing some of their punch towards the end but in higher modes it would still crank.

A little over 13 miles of endless pavement carving, too much fun. Usually I regret toys like this but I'm loving it more and more. I have 294km on it so far.

Screenshot_20190911-115216_Geo Tracker.jpg

Not mine, but I have same thing. I'll take a GoPro along next time.

lYOz46uJDRLf9saPXVJmiLMQIYF3THE6bT-AxSJMxrI.jpg
  6. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    I just looked at a video of it. Looks like a mini-bike with pedals and an emotor. No seat adjustment would probably be a deal breaker unless you were going to use it only with throttle, otherwise it'd kill your knees if you are over five feet tall. :dunno
  7. Hannda

Oddometer:
    Question. Just saw a video in another thread about flooded streets - maybe 8" to 1' deep. Would you be able to ride an ebike in those conditions, hub or crank motor, or are they not sealed well enough to be submerged? Or not submerged for long periods of time? And is the battery well enough sealed that being in the rain, again for a prolonged period, that it wouldn't be an issue? Sorry if my questions are 205.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  8. TimCC

TimCC Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Early in my ownership of my Trek Powerfly, I had briefly submerged my motor. I was riding home in the dark, during a heavy storm, and was surprised to find out my path along the pond was now a path in the pond. The motor was underwater for a minute or so before I could get clear of the area. After another 1500 miles and no lasting effect. It is a mountain bike so may be more environmentally sealed than a dedicated commuter.
    Maggot12 and Hannda like this.
  9. Hannda

Oddometer:
    Thanks.:thumb
  10. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Attempted to get some cool video on my board but failed miserably other than a extreme closeup of my leg so this is all you get.

20190911_150952.jpg
    TimCC likes this.
  11. Hannda

Oddometer:
    What's the little dealiewobber behind the driver's side front tire?
  12. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    GoPro mount. Didn't work well since all you could see was my leg so i removed it.
    Hannda likes this.
  13. Buzzbomber

Buzzbomber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point. Considering I just sold a Harley I struggled with for the last year because I couldn't get the ergonomics sorted, you'd think I'd know better.:doh Even though I was mainly planning for a neighborhood cruiser, maybe the Crosscurrent or a RadRover is a better choice afterall...
    Hannda likes this.
  14. Hannda

Oddometer:
    I suppose their argument is that sliding your keister further back on the seat is the same as raising the seat. But while that works in getting your legs straightened out it could also put you far enough away from the handle bars that you wouldn't be able to reach them. Also, you then wouldn't be able to quickly stand up to use your knees as shock absorbers.
  15. MrBob

MrBob Flammin the Diddle Supporter

Oddometer:
    Read an article on the Electric Bike Company out of California. Builds a simple and rugged ebike with solar panels and meant to help people in third world countries become more mobile.
    https://electricbikecompany.com/
  16. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks nice however at $1.5k-$2k, they could have put some gears on it. If their goal was keeping it simple, then why is it $2K?
  17. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Installed the speedbox 2 chip and a 46t front on my Haibike Fullseven, kept the stock 38 front too.
    The chainring spider had a bash guard slot that now holds the 46, 38 in stock spot.
    Might drop down to a 34 or 36t to replace the 38. But with the 2 fronts and
    a 11-42 rear it has a super wide range.

At 60 cadence it cruises at 23mph, 70 is 26mph, 80 is 30mph, and pushing 90 cadence doing 35mph on flats.

Pretty fun, still pulls hills like a mountain goat, but I can now pass the roadie groups on the bike trail with ease.
    They try to draft in the 23-26mph range, but easy to drop them with the motor and 80 cadence.

pretbek and CA_Strom like this.
  18. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much assist do you get?
    Do you need to be in great shape to begin with to maintain that 30 mph or 35 mph?
  19. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Turning 90RPM is pretty fast - It's not really about being in "great shape", more about being able to turn your legs that fast

I wasn't able to turn 90RPM with my old leg (prosthetic), new leg is lighter and more dynamic and now I can but it's near my upper limit of how fast I can turn my legs

I've got a 42t chain ring (11-46t cassette) and 90 has me somewhere in the upper twenties [I think] - I seldom go much faster than 25mph but it is fun to be able to go as fast or faster than the road guys that sometimes make their way to the canal paths...
  20. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah like Steve said 90 is pretty high, not comfortable for long stretches, although the pros spin 90 on 15km climbs.
    My sweet spot is 70-75, can do it for hours, not in fantastic shape, but been riding many years. It is fun to hit 90 and hold it
    for a while though, but usually in intervals, or when a rage against the machine song comes on shuffle.

One thing I’ll need to work on is battery management, I have an issue with bikes, get on them and I want to go 100%, or close to it. Eco+ seems like I’m getting nothing out of it,
    I usually just set it to high and go, going to have to experiment more with the lower settings and find a comfortable pace with them.