Electric bicycles

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by configurationspace, Mar 19, 2015.

1. josjor

josjor Long timer

Oddometer:
    The largest geological formation in the U.S.A.
    I ride a bike because there is a fat bastard chasing me and he looks just like me.

Almost my whole family is at a minimum overweight and more commonly, morbidly obese. I rarely use anything above PAS2 or PAS3 on my Rover. I want to work so I don't join my family.
    Watercat, Sundowner, Hannda and 6 others like this.
  2. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1, 70-75 is all the time easily and higher is bursts... Although I only picked up bikes again after about fifteen years off since discovering electric and only been riding hard for about one
    My early electric riding was really hard on the batteries using 18-20wh/mi, often even >20wh/mi... these days I'm typically 12-14wh/mi - an exceptional improvement! The same battery that would give me a bit more than twenty miles is now 35-40mi and my larger one that was cozy for 30mi is more than enough for just about any day of riding - the most I hit these days is 45-50mi but we'll see how it goes once it cools down out here.

I run much lower power than I did initially. 350W is on the high side for cruising now with 250W more typical... I used to do 500+W cruise

I put a battery management/monitor on the bike two years ago (to the month) and log all my rides - great for measuring what's actually going on
    dirtypumpkin, TimCC and HapHazard like this.
  3. FlagRS

FlagRS Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer:
    My wife and I ride mostly for fun and as an alternative to driving our only vehicle. She's an obsessive long distance runner logging 80+ mile weeks and I hike daily with my dog averaging 7 - 10 miles a day. Our E-bikes offer us a way get on a bike and ride into town without working too hard. I usually ride my RadRover at PAS3 and often bump it up when hitting a big hill or trying to keep up with my her who at 115lbs rides her Rover at PAS2 most of the time. She could probably get 50 miles out of a battery charge.

My Dream E-Bike

[​IMG]
    Watercat, dirtypumpkin and TimCC like this.
  4. TimCC

TimCC Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same situation for my family. Makes me wonder if genetically the cards are stacked against me.

I would love it if my bikes computer was smart enough to give me a report of how much effort is coming from me and how much from the battery.
    Hannda likes this.
  5. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu Not gonna lie. I'm a pretty big deal.

Oddometer:

Night ride at Marshall Canyon in San Dimas, CA. Riding my pedal assist Giant E Trance SX-0 Pro. Amazing bike.
    dirtypumpkin, pvt joker and FlagRS like this.
  6. josjor

josjor Long timer

Oddometer:
    The largest geological formation in the U.S.A.
    Genetics are certainly a part of it, that's for sure. That said, all of my family are pretty sedentary. None of them does anything physically active beyond their work duties and only a couple of them have work duties that aren't at a desk or behind a steering wheel. My brother was an exception. A mechanic, he spent his life on his feet and kept pretty fit until that other genetic monster, cancer, struck him and he passed away one week ago today. The whole family gathered for the funeral over the weekend and at 6'3", 215lbs, I'm the "skinny" one in the family. I spoke at the memorial service and as I looked out at the remaining family, I couldn't help but think of how many more of these services I would attend because of obesity.

As for a computer being smart enough to figure out how much is you and how much is the bike, you have one. It's inside your skull and your rib cage. :brow When I'm commuting to work, I like to feel it just a bit in the legs and heart....enough to know I'm working but not so much that I'm a sweaty mess when I get there. When I'm riding for fitness/pleasure, I really want to feel it in my pulse, breathing rate, and muscles. The "e" portion takes the stress off my knees some, saving them a bit from another possible genetic monster, Crohn's disease. Really a gastro-intestinal disease, it can also attack the joints if not treated well. It got to my knees before we got a working treatment narrowed down.

Oh, I forgot to add: Fuck cancer.
  7. Bravo Zulu

Bravo Zulu Not gonna lie. I'm a pretty big deal.

Oddometer:

More night riding shenanigans on my ebike. I might mention, I'm 51 years old and these guys I'm riding with are in their 20s. I may not have some of the trail flair but no one's dropping me either! #oldguysrule
    SnipTheDog, dogsslober and pvt joker like this.
  8. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear of the loss of your brother.
    dirtypumpkin likes this.
  9. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have endless coin, there are systems that will measure and log the power at the pedals (e.g. garmin vector)

My battery management/monitoring is very good at displaying and measuring the motor power - at cruise, if I look at the power difference to pedal a given speed when I'm pedaling or not (or even just increasing effort) I get a pretty good idea. In the past I found I can long term sustain ~100w readily and once it cools down and I'm back to longer rides and harder pedaling I'm betting it's gone up.

I may just try seeing how fast I can pedal it on smooth level with power off and then just see how much power it takes to repeat that without pedaling at all...
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  10. MillCreek

MillCreek ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer:
    I am giving serious consideration to an electric cargo bike next spring, and narrowed it down to the upcoming Tern HSD S8i or the Cero One. My fondness for IGH was putting the Tern in first place. I wrote to Cero and discovered they are coming out with a version 2.0 in the Spring of 2020, and at least one of the models will have an IGH. So this will be interesting to see.
  11. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Specialized bikes have that thru there Mission Control app for your phone, Built in power meter on the bike. Run the app while riding and you can see motor power , your power, Battery level, and the ability to tune the output of the motor
  12. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya know..... any bike with a torque sensor has the data to figure out how much power is coming from pedaling, etc.
    Watercat likes this.
  13. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Is that a battery box or cargo box?
  14. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Could be both... but I see the battery just above/in front of the motor.
    Hannda likes this.
  15. FlagRS

FlagRS Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer:
    That big box is all for cargo, up to 200 kg (400 lbs). The battery is just above the motor.

Hannda likes this.
  16. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, or for an additional battery pack (make your own pack) and go really really long distance. :D
  17. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I see it now.:thumb
    FlagRS likes this.
  18. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Put some super mega long fenders on the bike today. 10 times more fiddly than it should have been. The front is deep enough to keep any schmutz off the battery, not sure about the mid-drive motor.
    [​IMG]

Thinking about a windshield and heated grips for the winter. Or at least hand guards.
    Watercat likes this.
  19. Olirider

Olirider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    2016 m (6600 feet) high. e-mtb are for climbing mountains !
  20. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    ^Your dog always looks "ready to go"!
    garandman likes this.