Electric bicycles

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by configurationspace, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Olirider

Olirider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    She loves coming with me mountain biking. When she sees the harness, she is crazy !
  2. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Mass Centralized

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to renting 2 electric bikes for my wife and myself and had wonderful time with some surprising results.
    Background: We're both late 30's. I'm 180, she's 130, pretty good overall shape. I've commuted on my bicycle for many years in the past but am currently recovering from a knee injury so I'm not in peak shape. We struggle to ride together off road or in hilly environments because I'm such a stronger rider than her that she will be totally gassed on a hill climb and I will barely be breathing heavily at her pace. Its really discouraging for my wife to go on big rides with me!
    My hope was that the ebikes would be the great equalizer that would let us happily ride together where I could dial back the assist and save battery while she used more boost to hold a steadier pace on the hills. Wondering if we could switch batteries at the end of the day so she could ride on with my less discharged battery.
    We rented Norco commuters like this with the Bosch mid-drive.
    upload_2019-9-20_9-18-59.png
    Nothing fancy. The Tektro brakes were very strong and the ride was firm with no suspension. No surprises from the 1x9 shifters. 400 WH battery and both bikes had about 1,000 miles on them (maybe 50 discharge cycles?) One oddity was that the Bosch drive system rewarded low cadence pedaling. If you were going 18 mph with a high cadence and wanted to go 20 mph with more assist, it wanted you to shift a gear or two to get a boost. It provided progressively less boost at higher cadences. Also there was a delay in the power turning on. The system needed to see that the pedals were turning a certain (very low) speed before the motor would kick in with a 1/2 second delay. Similarly it would have a 1/2 second delay to turn the power off, which could be handy (like climbing stairs).

The ride was in Redmond / Seattle along the Sammamish River (flat) around the north half of Lake Washington (flat) and then as directly as possible to the bike shop (SUPER HILLY).
    We settled in around a 17 mph pace along the river. Wife's average pace on this type of trail on our mountain bikes would probably be around 10-12. She was using Sport mode (2nd highest level of assist) and I was using Eco (lowest assist) or none at all. I rode about 10 miles with no assist at all to preserve battery and get a better workout.

About 10 miles into the trail we took a quick side road on the steepest hill around (maybe 8 or 10% grade) for a test. I asked my wife to put hers on Turbo and I'd start in Eco and see what it would take for me to keep up. Well she quickly smoked me and to keep pace I switched up to turbo but she kept pulling away! She wasn't pulling away hard but I had no chance of catching her in my full sprint. I'm thinking we were both using the full 250 Watts but the additional power for her smaller frame upped her Watt/pound equation beyond mine.

Most of the rest of the ride was uneventful and enjoyable. The headwind across Lake Washington was unnoticeable thanks to the assistance, which was nice. When we got close to Redmond we were routed up some STEEP hills (14% grade) which turbo made easy work of, even with the taller cruiser-type gearing I was pulling 8 mph (pedaling hard) up hills that would normally be lowest gear @ 3 mph.

We still had some range when we made it back to the rental shop so we rode a few more miles (battery indicator was now showing no bars and no available range but kept going another 4 miles). We went up another very steel gravel hill that would have normally been impossible due to the tall gearing and cruiser tires. The Bosch drive smoothed out the pedal pulses and kept traction all the way up the gravel hill (pedaling hard again). Much to my surprise we ran into low voltage cutoff within 100 feet of each other, even with me pedaling 1/4 of the 40+ mile trip without assistance. Why? I'm guessing that my stronger pedaling and larger mass applied more torque to the driveline which gave back more electric power and drained the battery quicker.

Lessons learned: It was the great equalizer! We happily rode at the same pace all day and she made it up all the hills I did, with similar exertion and we used the battery at the same pace. Asking her for a little more speed was not a problem as she could just dial up the boost or shift to a higher gear.
    400 wh, taking it easy on 40 miles of mostly flat terrain resulted in a flat battery. I'm looking to convert our FS mountain bikes with knobby tires to ride bigger and longer hills. I think we could drain these batteries in 15 miles of the offroad riding we like to do. I'm thinking we need at least 600 wh batteries.

New $5,000+ mountain bikes are way out of line for us, so I'm going to start figuring out how to convert our 10 year old FS high-end mountain bikes with mid-drives. Probably the bafang system from Luna with their 13.5 AH 52V (700 wh) battery. If they are just awesome I may go looking for what I really want - big travel DH bikes to convert. 10 year old DH bikes have big tires, big brakes, big suspension, beefy frames, high end components, and a shockingly affordable price tag. There is a good used DH bike market here in Colorado and I've seen good candidates for $800 - $1200.
    FAW3, Watercat, Richarde1605 and 3 others like this.
  3. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a really good plan!

I love the Sammamish River ride, so peaceful in right weather...
  4. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Very pleasantly surprised to see this on today's ride.
  5. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:
    We rode a bike and hike trail today after finding out they have finally approved ebikes. For the first time we saw several. P.S we have been riding that trail for two years on our ebikes.
  6. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The monsoon finally broke over the weekend!

Spent most of the morning Saturday doing lots of PM on the bike which included a inspect and lube of the BBSHD secondary reduction. About 5000mi ago I did a full tear down, inspect and lube (used the recommended red mobilgrease 28) and figured it was time to at least take a look at the secondary. It looked great with very little darkening of the grease (inevitable metal particles make the grease darken) and the gear teeth looked excellent.

Did a short shakedown ride Saturday afternoon and did the first long ride of the season. Covered about 32mi using 428wh which works out to a reasonable 13.4wh/mi. It'll get better now that I can go and ride :wink:

Hit the urban trail system out my back yard and did a brewery themed ride

trail.png

Moo

cows.png

First brewery stop

fbb.png

On the way to number two

toDesMon.png

Downtown "old" Gilbert

desmonk.png

Goating around

goats.png

Then on to the "research"

bri.png

Not the best of trails but the whole day - at least no traffic (I don't like the cars)

rr.png

Three breweries is plenty so time to meet the friends for a pasty dinner

pasty.png

Glad I got out... today it's raining like all get go from some pacific tropical storm remnants - already got 0.6" this morning... oh well...

Attached Files:

motomem, FlagRS, TimCC and 1 other person like this.
  7. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @SteveAZ -- really? Complaining about the rain in AZ?

Come to the Northeast and live for a while, then you'll see what it's like to live where multiple rainy weekends in a row is the normal weather pattern.

Last summer, it rained some part of nearly every weekend of the summer.
  8. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had the opportunity to live all over and I chose to live here for more than a few reasons :evil

But just about anywhere getting an inch in a couple of hours is too much - there was a lot more just a few miles away and they've got some pretty serious flooding

Stark contrast to yesterday's wonderful - it was in the high 90's but back to silly dry, dewpoint right about 32
    Watercat likes this.
  9. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to trying those pasties!
    We're going to be in Mesa the beginning of next month (hopefully).
    Really enjoyed getting those pasties at the little bakeries in Cornwall, when we were touring Blighty, ages ago.:gerg
  10. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Mesa Cornish Pasty at Dobson and Guadalupe (in the picture) is my favorite and silly close, less than half a mile from the bike trail system too

If you have a bike there's a ton of riding in town and out

Lot's of craft beer too
    HapHazard likes this.
  11. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    We rented a pair of Surleys last year when we were out there around the same time, and rode some of the canal trails, and out to Usury Park near Mesa, and took in the Scottsdale park trail twice. We enjoyed it greatly, but it was good to be done by 10:00 am!:knary

We arrived just after the Monsoon, there was some residual flooding and high humidity for a few days (!).

Looking forward to seeing moar of the area this year - thanks for the pastie info!:dukegirl
  12. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, I dream of dewpoints that low. Hell, anything under 60 in the summertime feels like heaven. Those mid-summer days with dewpoints in the mid-70's are brutal.
  13. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was in the 60's (I speak celsius and converting on the fly here) which is typical in the monsoon season (start of monsoon used to be defined as 5days in a row of 55 dewpoint) and then for the weekend popped down into the low 30's... but this tropical storm has shot it back up to the 60's... yo-yo! Outside of the monsoon it's usually in the 30's to low 40's and winter it gets silly low - below 30...

I've spent 3/4 of my life in this and it's hard to get used to those high dewpoints outside of the inland west... I don't mind 100 degrees when the dewpoint is in the 30's and low 40's

Hopefully the monsoon is over - I'm so done with it... it puts a big damper on the bike riding!
  14. MiamiMotorcyclist

MiamiMotorcyclist used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer:
    Thread has been dead for a while but I’d like to see how you like the meepo over time. Maybe post here.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/too-old-to-skateboard.195454/
  15. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Loving it. I had an issue with remote and they sent me a new one 25 days later. Whatever.

I have over 400 miles on it. I try and do a nice 12 mile loop everyday. It is just so fun. I have hit 24 mph max and that's plenty fast for me.

I just bought another board, miles rampage on a whim. It has larger AT tires which should help with everyday riding vs longboard wheels.

I'd buy the meepo again for sure.
  16. MiamiMotorcyclist

MiamiMotorcyclist used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer:
    That’s some real mileage.
    I have a boosted board but like the idea of a shorter board and meepo is much less expensive than the boosted short board.
    Friend just got a one wheel. Cooler than I thought though I’ve only stood on it and moved a little bit. Haven’t been for a true checkout ride.

Wasn’t as awkward to carry as I thought it might be.
    But boards have it beat there imo.
  17. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    My buddy in town has a Onewheel XR, I can't even balance for 3 seconds. He rode my Meepo around and now wants one. The only thing I don't like is that I hate scanning pavement like a hawk watching out for any little thing. I limit my rides to known good pavement, which I just happen to have right near my house.

The Miles Rampage will hopefully be a nice in between. Still carves nice but can scoot across grass if needed. I'm interested to try a belt motor board as the Meepo is hub motor. I have to say the hub motors are great. So many different makers in the $4-600 range. Mine was $629 but I got the big battery which was a good decision.

After 13 miles of really flogging it, and I'm 230, it starts to get saggy. But that's plenty of riding at a spirited pace.
    MiamiMotorcyclist and TimCC like this.
  18. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    For $1400 including shipping: Juiced Scorpion, https://juicedscorpion.com
    I think it's a pretty good deal.. just have to wait until MAR/APR 2020 to receive it.
    [​IMG]
    djroszina, Magus, motomem and 3 others like this.
  19. PullingG's

PullingG's What?

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at the Scorpion as well the past few days...
  20. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Not sure if I like this wave of electric mopes. The pedals are just for show or to skirt the law, nobody can pedal effectively from that seating position. 750W rear hub motor is too weak on any serious hill. I'd much rather buy Rad bike for that money...
    Omi likes this.