1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric bicycles

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by configurationspace, Mar 19, 2015.

1. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what the gear-inch development is for any of these bikes at its tallest gear ratio? If it's *really* designed for higher speeds, i'd hope it's at a manageable crank pace, you can develop a lot of instability trying to keep a ridiculous crankpace going. I'd imagine a properly engineered steering head would offer a bit more trail to keep the steering geometry in line with the higher speeds.
  2. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard a report about the Bultaco, but the reviews of the "Stealth Bomber" bike says around 60mph pedalling your pedal rpm is too high to be useful.
  3. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, even with a 54t front ring 11t back the cadence would be 180bpm, or triple what most people can do comfortably, double a skilled amateur, and still above professional racer cadence.

You might be able to assist the bike at 30 or 40MPH max if you are in good shape.
    SnickterP likes this.
  4. roma258

roma258 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've dug these for a while. Seems like the most elegant integration of all the electric components into a bicycle that I've seen. As far as going 40 mph and mixing with traffic, I'm not sure that's such a great idea on what are essentially bicycle components. Might just want to get a scooter or moped at that point.
    Hannda likes this.
  5. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:
    Ok, but those mountain bikes are not "serious commuter" bikes, of greater concern is that it look cool, given you just declined the commuter version of the exact same drivetrain. An interesting question though, how would you mount a rack on a suspended trailing arm?
  6. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think "commuter" means a much different thing to a motorcyclist who's considering this as a "mini-motorcycle-by-another-name" versus a bicycle commuter.
  7. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pedego is what people are looking for.. They are just stupid expensive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    Either contribute something useful to the thread or go away. Your only purpose in life is to get into stupid arguments. You're a waste of everyone's time.
  9. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, a nagging injury has got me on crutches again. Peddling my bike (29er) is pretty painful at the moment. I live in a very bicycle centric part of town, so don't really want to quit riding, as parking here sucks for just about any other form of transportation.

Anyway, someone put the electric bug in my ear this afternoon, so I thought I'd reach out to the hive mind for ideas. I know there are some kits available, but don't know the good from the bad. Seems like it should be simple, motor, batteries, way to control it. Seems like it might be fun to screw with.
    motomem likes this.
  10. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  11. RoverGS

RoverGS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wish I had an answer for you. You're avatar still freaks me out.
  12. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope this thread grows some legs, I have an Electra cruiser that would be perfect as an electric.
  13. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    Nikons & VStroms got a pretty decent one off of Craig's list when he was here in NM. I have followed e-bikes, largely via youtube, and it seems like the fully built ones are getting better and better. Even two or three years ago, it struck me as a huge divide-- "Cheaper" bikes made in China, with really heavy components etc for $1500- $2500. None too impressive, though some better done than others. "Premium" bikes made by companies like Specialized that seem really good. But you pay.

I haven't looked lately to see if the void is being filled.
  14. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    I picked mine up for 500 bucks, though the battery is having issues now and to replace it with fresh cells is going to take some soldering and ~200 dollars.

It's a pretty nice setup though, I think it's from around 07-09, NiMH batteries, aluminum frame, weighs about 50 pounds, and can do ~15-35 miles depending on how much assist you use. The pedal assist setup is pretty cool, it makes traveling on flat roads a breeze and for hills you just crank it up and go up without putting too much of a load on your legs. My ankles are crap so that's why I got one and it's an amazing gimp bike. I just wish my body was up to riding it more often.

[​IMG]
    motomem likes this.
  15. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    There's a bike kit for sale in the FM that apparently was designed to be an 'all but the engine' sort of moped kit. A guy can't help but wonder if stuffing a mondo pile of batteries in the engine bay and a hub motor out back might make for a fairly cool project and a finished one that not everybody else has a carbon copy of. Not much info in that ad though.
  16. MiamiMotorcyclist

MiamiMotorcyclist used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer:
    I've ridden a specilized Turbo. Very nice but you have to pedal, it adds power to your pedaling. Also very not cheap. Slick though.
    Kits are hit and miss, can't recomend one over another.
  17. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    I bought last years hold over Surface 604 Element fat bike.
    Got a great deal, basically an extra battery, extra charger, fenders and shipping for free with a $500 discount.
    I have been delighted with it.

I have put on over 170 miles commuting to and from work since the 1st of September.
    It is great to get back on a bike.

I went with this one not only for the great price but because the frame is rated for my weight.

Big fun rolling a fatty...

I have ridden over 20 miles and had a little battery left. Max speed is 20 mph. It has a throttle and 3 levels of pedal assist.

[​IMG]
    motomem likes this.
  18. TwoBigCats

TwoBigCats Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bike forums.net has an active ebike area that includes some excellent owner build / conversions to reference; also links to commercially available bikes.

Due to a chronic health issue I will likely convert our upright tandem to electric assist over the next few years ... Lotsa nice technology changes making their way to ebikes these days.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  19. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good thread I have been looking at E bikes for my wife so she can ride with me. The above looks interesting to convert one of her bikes.