Electric bicycles

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by configurationspace, Mar 19, 2015.

1. mikeysduck

mikeysduck Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer:
    Thinking belt ? You will like this.
    Oddfellow likes this.
  2. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Rohloff is considered the primo IGH: https://www.rohloff.de/en/products/speedhub/

I finally got a chance to ride one and I understand why

Most other hubs don't have the gear range and some have reliability issues with handling electric forces plus the shifting on the Rohloff is so seamless and smooth

Wish one was in my budget...
  3. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Sounds interesting. Are any bikes with it sold in US?
  4. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    As an option for sure - not sure if it's "standard" on some but I seem to remember some with it

I rode a wattwagon with one and luna offers it with gates belt on their apex for a mere $1800 extra
  5. mikeysduck

Oddometer:
    Short ride 2 mi today. Followed by a 1 mile push back home with a flat tire. Damed goats head thorns are everywhere.
    I installed a new front Maxxis Rekon and went tubeless. I added Stans tire sealant. It went pretty well until trying to inflate the tire. Removing the valve core did the trick. I'll replace the rear when it goes flat.

IMG_1783.jpg
  6. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stans is my friend
  7. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Orange seal is mo betta, IMO
    StmbtDave likes this.
  8. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Orange seal Endurance is even mo betta! I recently swapped some tubeless tires off a back-up gravel bike that hadn't had fresh sealant in 18 mos, and still sucked about 3/4 of the original 2oz. out of the tires.
    StmbtDave and dogsslober like this.
  9. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    You say tomato and I say tomato

That doesn't work when typing does it?

I'm always open minded however 8000mi with stans in AZ deserts with reckless abandon without top-offs (admittedly I use a lot) means it works - at least for me and my riding buddies that also have a ton of miles without any flats out here

That orange looks considerably more expensive - $28/qt for stans and $40/qt for the endurance (amazon)

Their suggested time to top-off is very short (endurance 2-4mo vs. stans )7mo- not sure how well using as much as I use would mitigate but the economics seem to favor stans and I don't like topping off if at all possible... only did that once with stans and that's when I learned that if I can avoid it, it's a good thing

Another big plus to me is that the very nearby LBS's have the stans for <$30/qt so it's very available... I'm guessing there's a reason it's what the LBS's are supplying *and* using it but you never know

I run the stuff in my tubes - really don't see any point in going tubeless so that may effect how they compare
    HapHazard likes this.
  10. dogsslober

Oddometer:
    Stans is good and like I said IMO, I had used Stans for a couple of years before I tried OS. Cant go wrong with either. Stans I get the "stananimal" the weird balls of dried up Stans inside the tires, Orange Seal leaves coated layer dried up inside the tire.
  11. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gotcha - makes sense

It sounds like if you're going to go tubeless it might have the edge but if you run it in the tubes, stans, at least from an economics standpoint, is good

I think it's likely less a pain to top off a tubeless vs. topping off a tube too
  12. dogsslober

Oddometer:
    Topping off either is no prob, OS has bottle with a hose attached, remove valve core slip hose over and turn bottle upside down and squeeze. I run tubes with OS on my roadie type bike.
  13. 666

666 Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer:
    I always first install tubeless, then inflate and get it seated, then deflate and add Stans. Works great every time and no mess. Never had a flat in 5+ years of tubeless.
    CA_Strom likes this.
  14. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The problem I faced when I topped of my tube tire had nothing to do with getting the stuff in

When I pull the core and deflate the tube it pulls away from the tire.... my tires are *full* of thorns after even a couple of months and when reinflating the tubes get all kinds of "new" punctures from all the thorns poking into them when they push up against the tire so I have to remove the wheels prior to reinflation and very quickly toss and turn the wheel after putting air into them to get them all coated or it goes flat very quickly and I get to start the dance all over... granted once they are all sealed and do a good ride to get it all properly sealed up again it's good but it's a pain so I don't feel like bothering and just use a lot of juice to avoid the topoff... tires last me no more than a year or so and the stans is still good even out here in the silly high heat and dry - This weekend it's 47C [117F] with 8C [46F] dewpoint!

If I'm lazy enough that topping off is a pain due to having to remove the wheels and playing the bouncy game you can guess I'm waaaaaay too lazy to go through the effort to go tubeless and absolutely don't see any point on a electric fat-tire bike

Putting it in the tubes is so no-fuss... tire change: remove old tires & tubes and toss (no mess at all - tube is stans condom), rinse out new tubes and put stans in tubes (~4x recommended dose) at the sink (contain any potential messiness very easily), mount tubes and tires normally, inflate and good to go until next set of tires
    sieg likes this.
  15. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got an email from Juiced Bikes and my HyperScorpion is being shipped next week!!! 5DE41DD2-44D1-4CD0-AE49-C05EF6B35DB7.jpeg
    kc1081 and Cat0020 like this.
  16. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
  17. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    SteveAZ and sieg like this.
  18. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes - hardly a good sample

And even so, correlation does not equal causation

E.g. the average age of electric bicycle riders is higher which would be expected to have lower accident rates

I suspect if all the factors were taken into account it's likely the opposite just might be true due to the higher speeds of electric bicycles
    Watercat and HapHazard like this.
  19. mikeysduck

Oddometer:
    Re: Tube vs tubeless I went through 4 tubes in just under 500 mi. The tire always had several thorns poking through. The last time I had 12 slime spots oozing. A through de-throning took place before installing the new tubes. The tubes were all different brands and all had sealant. Two of the tubes failed at the seams, in addition to the thorn punctures. Since tubes go fo $15 to $20 each, I'm trying tubeless. I picked up at least two thrones today. I pulled them out hiss... I went 12+ miles no issues. Happy so far.
    My new Maxxis tire is noisy on the pavement.
  20. dogsslober

Oddometer:
    Rode with the 50+ E-bike group ride again this Thursday in Henry Coe State park, E-MTB with this group is not easy. Very fast pace, my heart rate is pegged for most of the ride. Very fun.
    Park Ranger was checking cars for parking passes, came over to talk to me about my year parking pass. Tells me I may be eligible for a 3 month extension do to Covid-19.
    Checked the web site and I'm am, Yea !!
    Kyron and villageidiot like this.