1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric bicycles

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by configurationspace, Mar 19, 2015.

1. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few years ago I rented a Trek full suspension ebike in Silver City for a few days of riding trails in that area. If you get over that way, the Dragonfly Loop is on the edge of town and finding the Dragonfly petroglyph is a fun search.
  2. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I'm picking up two or three I'm not spending $5000 on them for someone else to thrash.

That is why I'm looking at a price point.
  3. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW I had my left leg amputated 12-13yrs ago and experienced similar "disappointment" riding my MTB's... it just wasn't fun anymore... I sort of wrote off bicycles

Fast forward to four years ago and while out camping with some friends in the high country I noticed they had some fat-tire bicycles but didn't give them much thought - even riding on level smooth stuff wasn't very fun so riding in the forest didn't seem like a good idea at all.... then one of them says I should give them a try... and I kind of just kind of blow it off saying they're not fun anymore and he points out that they're electric...

Electric?

I give it a whirl... ride around for a bit on the fire roads and:

[​IMG]
    Riding by the group hollering "I am superman!" like a silly kid

Tell myself not to be impulsive, wait a week and do some research... at 7days and 1sec later I ordered up a bike (who says I don't have impulse control?)... four years, two bikes, a much better leg and 8500 bicycle miles later here we are

One thing is that until I had the first one I didn't really know how I'd use it... sort of thought I'd just be hauling it out to the backcountry every now and then... and I do that but I also spend plenty of time on the multi-path trail system out here in the metro area - it's so extensive and handy... both my house and shop are right next to it so I don't even have to get on the streets to access... I knew I had less than zero interest in riding on the streets and that has held... and after that first one I thrashed around my requirements and built a BBSHD bike and have been very happy... I wouldn't mind a full suspension bike but it's not necessary for the riding I do which is entirely bicycle/MTB-like and doesn't resemble moto riding much at all... maybe some day a sur-ron but it's a lot lower on my priorities since I now know it simply wouldn't get used as much, costs a lot more, and I have limited resources so can't justify both at this point in time

You are in a different camp so to speak - good luck figuring out what will work but at some point I'd just get something going, even if it's not perfect, so you can figure out how you will really use it, not just how you think you will...

:ricky
    overlander, fz6kd7, Cat0020 and 3 others like this.
  4. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I was in Silver yesterday. It's about equal distance to Silver or Deming for me. I sort switch off each time I need to get my share of social activities. Lol

Well that's great news about your ventures into E bikes. I was close to being in the same situation as you and dealing with a total lose of my leg. Actually I have PAD and up until the day of the surgery in 2014 the doctors were telling me just that. Then the morning of they decided to try a major bypass from my heart to the legs and told me that if once opened up they would do whatever they thought would be best. Guess you can figure out what I recovered with both still intact. But after five years of permanent severe nerve damage and living in pain even with meds, I sorta second guess their decision. I like you would probably be still working and more than likely in my opinion have a better life in general. But that's too late and I motor on the best I can.

I've always been on two wheels since I was 17 just that since 24 they keep changing to lighter and lighter. I'm down from the 900# hogs to a 350# X Challenge and the Husky 501 at 260#. Thought maybe my next move would be the e bike or say the heck with two and move to four. Still not ready to give up on two tho. As much as my kids want me to.
    HapHazard likes this.
  5. MrBob

Oddometer:
    I was in Silver yesterday. It's about equal distance to Silver or Deming for me. I sort switch off each time I need to get my share of social activities. Lol

The bike shop people were great to deal with. They tell me that SC hired someone to develop mountain bike trails. Finding the Dragonfly petroglyph on that trail was really fun.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  6. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    For yesterdays group ride I was ask to lead everyone around a loop at Fort Ord, 17 mile 2436' climbing 12.4 mph avg. My avg bmp 154 with a max of 178. Gave them all I had pushing race pace.
    Good time !! 3 of 10 bars showing at the end. Loving the 29x3.0 and Cush Core's
  7. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Anybody familiar with Framed?

They used to have a bunch of Fat Bikes and now it is just one cheap one on their website.

Looking for a decent platform to build my own fat-e.
  8. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    I just saw a ad on FB for there new carbon 100mm travel front and rear fat bike , looked very nice. Cheap one on there site looks good
    Chillis likes this.
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I thought they had a Carbon one called the Wolf.

They don't have much now. Or I'm mixing up another brand I used to research.

Thought there were options for different groupsets and suspension and wheel combos.
  10. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Would you have a link.
  11. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed your reply, have been aerotowed many times, first in a Blanik without a spar failure, the first few were mostly thermal, but the club moved to an area that has an excellent ‘wave’, the last time we kept blowing through our ceiling into cloud, VFR. So we would convert energy and end up at the same alt, rinse and repeat.

My pilot, Ziggy had been doing boring joyflights all day with heavy ballast, and as I was lighter and the last tow he had some fun :-)

The sensation when the vibration down the line stops is incredible.
  12. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  13. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I had a friend buy one last year. Aluminum frame with Bluto fork and SRAM 12 speed. Actually a pretty nice build for I think was just over a grand. He spent the extra $100 to have them "set the bike up". Save your money and do it yourself or take it to a real bike shop, because it still needed to be tweaked to be right.
    Chillis likes this.
  14. MrBob

Oddometer:
    TownieGo7DStepOver_20_28124_B_Primary.jpg
    Townie Go! 7D Step-Over
    25 Reviews / Write a Review

$1,499.99
    Model 585236
    Finally, an e-bike for the rest of us. The Townie Go! 7D combines the comfort and control of the best-selling bike in the U.S. with the power and fun of an e-bike. With 3 levels of support, 27.5" tires and Electra's patented Flat Foot Technology®, you can go faster, farther, and funner for less than you thought possible.

I was in the Jacksonville, FL REI today and one of these was on the floor. It's a rear hub drive with the older style of Electra battery mounting. The disc brakes were mechanical and the component set nothing special. Still, I've owned three Townies and the Electra bikes gave good value. I would look carefully at this bike if you're new to ebikes and just want something to tool around on. It might also be a good commuter. For 1500.00, you'd be on an ebike that would serve you well.
    Yinzer Moto and Cat0020 like this.
  15. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Before Trek bought them, they were tough to deal with but now with the support of Trek, they are a good buy. The pedal forward design is really comfortable for riders who don’t ride often. They are really bad at hills, it is nearly impossible to stand on the pedals and crank up a steep hill. They are perfect for rail trail cruising or around town riding. I am surprised that REI can sell the brand, Trek is usually very specific about who can sell their bikes.
  16. _CJ

_CJ Conservative Conservationist

Oddometer:
  17. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I'm no closer on a decision of what to get than when I started looking at all of these bikes.

It is a heavily cluttered marketplace today.

Wondering if fat tires, full suspension, and electric translate well to low maintenance?

Being out in the desert, range is one of the higher priorities. Traction in gravel and sand as well(hence fat tire).

If I were letting my wife on a bike where she hasn't ridden in two decades at least, going down a dirt road with no or just front suspension, I don't expect her to stand on the pegs for a while.

Maybe front suspension and a suspension seat post is better for maintenance and still allowing a smoother ride?
    Richarde1605 and Snake Oiler like this.
  18. MrBob

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    My first ebike, purchased from the Boulder, CO REI in 2016, or so. Supremely comfortable with plenty of power and capacity and so much fun to ride into the mountains. The Shimano 8spd internal hub was a wonderful unit and geared perfectly. If I allowed myself more than one bike at a time I'd still own it, but the single track above Boulder required something different.
    Bt10, HapHazard and Cat0020 like this.
  19. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have any issues with having to stand [which due to my physical limitations I can't do while pedaling at all and can only do for short spells without pedaling] on dirt roads or even single track

I do have a front suspension (120mm) and a suspension seatpost but I don't think it really makes a lot of difference with regards to standing - none of these are remotely what I'd call long travel so it only helps absorb minor bumps

At this point maintenance is pretty much the same as with a non-electric bike - once the motor was tuned properly my drivelines last plenty long (thousands of miles) as long as I do very frequent chain lubes... before it was tuned well and I was still running and aluminum cog cassette I chewed up some of the high gear (11t) cogs in 500-1000mi but those are silly cheap (~$8 at the time) and five minutes to replace... once the motor was well tuned never had another cog go bad and since then have gone to all steel cogs on my last cassette so really don't expect any issues along those lines

Tuning the motor took a while - a lot of trial and error [and noodling] but that was done a long time ago and I haven't touched it since

The only additional maintenance I've come across at this point is after about 1000mi I did a teardown, clean, inspect and re-lube of the motor (BBSHD) - about a 45min job... it wasn't necessary, it was good enough the way it was, but you never know about chinese QC so it seemed prudent... at about 5000mi I popped of the secondary reduction which is two steel spur-cut gears (unlike the primary with one plastic and one steel helical cut) and since it bears the brunt of the torque thought it good to inspect, especially because it's super easy - maybe ten minute job... gears were fine, grease only very slightly darkened (good sign of how much tiny metal particles from wear) so cleaned them up and put a little fresh on... since it looked so good I didn't bother cracking it further to look at the primary... I may do that after some time since although the torque in the primary is a lot less they spin a lot faster so may lose grease although since one of the gears is plastic this may not be as important...
    Richarde1605 and Chillis like this.
  20. _CJ

_CJ Conservative Conservationist

Oddometer:
    A rigid frame/fork fat bike seems like about as low maintenance as you can get, and still have a smooth-ish ride. With low enough pressure in those big tires, it should roll over about any bumps you're likely to encounter on dirt roads and bike paths without even noticing them.