1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric bicycles

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by configurationspace, Mar 19, 2015.

1. ivantheterrible

ivantheterrible Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. gravelrash

gravelrash Decrepit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for something with a proportional assist, BionX is pretty much the best system available and is made in Canada. I've been looking for something that will flatten the hills and allow me to get the level of exercise I'm capable of, which isn't much anymore.

http://ridebionx.com/
  3. drikko

drikko Long timer

Oddometer:
    My knees are stuffed after many decades wearing them out especially cycling so wasn't using the bike at all pretty much so added this kit about a year ago http://dillengerelectricbikes.com.a...tric-bike-kit-10ah-upgraded-by-dillenger.html

Now I'm using the bike all the time again with little or no knee pain, it seems to take the edge off the amount of effort needed. They have much larger motors you will see and looks like they have both a UK and USA office now.

Wasn't too hard to put into the Giant frame although the front fork droppers had to be reamed out a bit as the axle diameter was bigger.

It won't haul my lardarse 100kg up a steep hill but with a reasonable amount of pedal effort it makes it easy enough that it isn't daunting to the point where I'd take the car.

[​IMG]
  4. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've often wondered, on a mountain bike would a front or rear drive work better? We have a lot of sandy trails around here that are really terrible on a bicycle. I think an electric assist would make many of these areas more enjoyable. However, I'm not sure what would work best.
  5. rv-rick

rv-rick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I found this. As one who 'almost' has knees left, this would be handy riding around campgrounds and short trips to the store.
  6. drikko

drikko Long timer

Oddometer:
    It depends on how powerful a motor you use, the 250W motor I have on the front wheel doesn't slip even on relatively loose surfaces as it's just not powerful enough but if you wanted to use say the 1000W motor then rear or centre drive would be the best. Keep in mind when you go to the higher power motors if you use that power then you won't get very far on a battery charge if it's the same battery. The lower power motor forces you into using some leg power so you can get further. On a flat road I can do 35kph for about 40ks no problems, keep in mind I'm 230lbs-ish.

Absolutely, exactly what I use it for, the store can be 15ks away or more. I also have a train station about 12ks away where I have even ridden in a suit and caught the train to the city for meetings without breaking a sweat.Probably looked like a mormon :)
  7. smoky

smoky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where's that $650 electric bike that was proposed a year or so ago?

It was high tech and showed lots of promise. I can't find it with Google.
  8. gremor

gremor RS'er

Oddometer:
  9. smoky

smoky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, those are the guys, thanks.
  10. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    So looks like we have no thread for electric bicycles, so here's one.

I have 3:

https://electricbikereview.com/diamondback/trace-exc/

diamondback-trace-exc-electric-bike-review-1-lbox-1200x600-FFFFFF.jpg

Excellent city bike, capable of light duty trails. The motor won't pull you up steep hills, but will help you pedaling. On more flat trails, can easily get to 25 mph.

Wife's bike, Rad Wagon:
    http://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/radwagon

[​IMG]

Our kid loves riding on the rear rack!

My trails bike, strangely enough, A2B Metro: https://electricbikereview.com/a2b/metro/

a2b-metro-electric-bike-review-lbox-1200x600-FFFFFF.jpg
    I got it used, without the rear battery. I love dual suspension and heavy frame, I ride it through local parks and pretend it's a super light motorcycle.
    garrett, SmittyBlackstone and motomem like this.
  11. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Timely post, and I hope it grows into a useful thread. I'm thinking hard about converting a 30 year old roadie into an ebike for my 40+ mile round trip commute. For me life is too busy for any road trips on my motorcycle, so commuting is the only riding I do. But I also have no time for exercise and it's starting to show. An e-bike is looking like a very attractive solution. I can get some exercise, not worry about some seriously steep climbs, not arrive at work drenched in sweat, and for me it should only take up maybe an extra half hour in commute time. (Surface streets instead of highway, but much more direct. And no waiting through multiple traffic light cycles at a few choke-point intersections.)

I also think it's an appropriate discussion here on ADV, because there's some very impressive technological progress being made in e-bikes. Today's electric motorcycles (EMs) are modeled after ICE motorcycles because that's what motorcyclists are used to. But if you're starting from scratch on an electric urban runabout it makes lots more sense to build up from bicycle tech than to emulate ICE motorcycles. (There is already one custom e-bike that is fully faired and tops out at 80 mph!) EMs have a lot of evolving to do.

My build looks like it will be a mid-drive motor with a 1.1 kWh lithium pack. Mid drives are the latest hot thing - much smaller and lighter than a hub motor, and since they drive through the bike's sprockets they make full use of gear reduction. That makes them far superior at climbing hills. I'm in PA, which recently adopted the federal classification of e-bikes as bicycles. If it has a motor rated no more than 750W (1 hp), weighs under 100 lb. (seriously? easily less than half that), is limited to 20 mph on electric power alone and the rider is 16 or older, it's a bicycle - meaning no licensing, insurance or other such concerns. (E-bikes are limited to 250W in Europe.) I plan to stay legal and use this drive kit:

https://www.electricbike.com/bafang-750w-bbs02/

It should allow cruising at 25 - 28 mph on the flat, but that's starting to lean on the limit of what anyone should be doing on a bike in real-world traffic that's intended to be powered by a human. (If you want more there are plenty of ways to get it, but legally you're not riding a bicycle then and you also start needing better suspension, brakes, etc.) My build should cost roughly half of what an OEM mid-drive e-bike would cost (including the used value of the bike I start with), with lots more performance. These are fast times in the e-bike world.

I would advise spending some time on the electricbike.com site. Very interesting stuff.
  12. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    There has been other E bike threads started here on ADV rider only to disappear/be removed I assume by haters, if talk about E bike's in the bicycle thread here you will hear all the haters that think you should have to suffer to ride a bike and that they don't like them so you should not be able to like them or ride them. In Europe E biking has taken off in a big way. California last Aug removed the lower powered E bikes from the motorized category.
    Tinker1980 likes this.
  13. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    For anyone considering an ebike build/kit - these folks are great:

lunacycle.com

I bought a Bafang BBSHD kit for my Cannondale mountain bike from them. There were some things to work out, the kits are not quite plug and play. Luna Cycle helped me figure it all out - very good customer support. Internet how to's helped as well.
  14. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Nobody was giving me any grief in the bicycle thread for mentioning electric, I guess times changed...
  15. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to rebuild an e-bike NiMH battery pack, does anyone know of any good resources?

I've got an I-Zip Street Enlightened that I picked up used in ABQ back in 2012:

[​IMG]
  16. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    If you don't want to do it your self there is a company in Las Vegas that will rebuild it for you. www.rpe-na.com there is a article on there service in Electric bike action
  17. fz6kd7

fz6kd7 Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've started looking in recelling so old batteries, an it look like the only way to effectively make connections between cells is make with spot-welding techniques. So it time to invest in a cheap spot-welding arrangement. Soldering kills the battery with heat, a even if you manage to get get heat hot enough to make make joint, it'll destroy the seal between between pos terminal and body.
  19. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My Electra cruiser is begging to be electrified but I'm hesitant to lay out any money yet because the technology is changing so fast. I'm not up on the very latest tech but my reading suggests that the best rigs have the motor at the bottom bracket.
    jikser likes this.
  20. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer: