1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric bicycles

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by configurationspace, Mar 19, 2015.

1. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    This guy has electrified a number of Townies, which is essentially the same frame as my cruiser.

[​IMG]
  2. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Did you try conductive glue? http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/b70c/
    I didn't try it myself, but I know it exists :)
  3. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I would be very hesitant to electrify a bike without suspension and disk brakes. Maybe something light, like 250W front hub?
  4. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't want to do that. When talking about "conductive" with respect to glues, pastes, films, etc., both electrically and thermally, that actually means "bad insulator." It's significantly better than no connection at all, but not much. Read the specs carefully and compare them to copper and you'll see what I mean.

With the amps a battery pack needs to dish out, "conductive" glue is asking for trouble. Its relatively high resistance will heat up the interconnect and put the entire pack at risk of fire. Or crack and separate over time and compromise the pack. Spot welding is the only way to go.
  6. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I like to suffer. But I want a small hidden motor in my frame, so I can make my competitors suffer more.
    garrett likes this.
  7. MrBob

Oddometer:
  8. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally, I'm aiming to try this with my dc power supply and the transformer from an old microwave to spot-weld the tabs on. .

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    How cheap are new electric bikes getting? I remember there was a lot of media behind that fat tire 500 dollar one but that it was too good to be true. So what's out there now? I'm wondering if selling my bike and buying a new one would be worth it VS the hassle of rebuilding it. I do love the thing and have some great memories with it but it just sits in my studio right now and my body hasn't been up to using it much. And last time I could the battery was about half of what it used to be. I can use it around town still but it's range is shrinking by the year.

I'd be fine with specs similar to my current one.

Range 20-30 miles
    Pedal assist (I do want this since the main point of the bike is to give my legs some low resistance exercise)
    Max speed on electricity 18 MPH
  10. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's generally the principle behind regenerative braking. It won't eliminiate recharging, because it consumes energy to work, so you will go slower. But it will make your battteries last longer. Or do someting useful like power a light or someting.

If you take that idea and shrink it, you can squeeze it into the hub, in which case, you have a hub dynamo
    [​IMG]

I've got this, which is a 14-speed gearbox, a hub dynamo, and a light:

[​IMG]
  11. MrBob

Oddometer:
    Suspension good, extra weight bad, so it's a trade off. The V brakes on the Electra are so good that I'm having a problem with the back tire spinning on the rim under hard braking.
  12. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    That one is all over cragislist now as people try to unload it for few $100 profit. https://www.electricbike.com/sondors-fat-2016-review/

Other than that, the battery tech is advancing so fast it makes sense to buy a new one with an external replaceable battery. It seems they coalesced on 2 or 3 designs.

I also find out that I use throttle much more than pedal assist - I can pedal most of the time without an assist, and use the throttle only on steep hills. Also, as I build muscles, I use less and less of it.
  13. MrBob

Oddometer:
    Why are people trying to unload the Sondor bikes?
  14. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    liberpolly likes this.
  15. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mr. Bob - the pic of your electra shows an "s" bend in the downtube at the bottom bracket. The Townie's frame has a straight downtube. The Bafang mid drive motor wants a straight downtube. The s curve in your frame is going to stop the motor from rotating up. It's going to contact the frame and sit a low angle, dangling down like the balls of a prize winning stud goat.

A hub drive will work/fit the electra better.
  16. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    No idea, but check the craigslist, there's several of them at any given moment.
  17. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. MrBob

Oddometer:
    Interesting, thanks for pointing that out.
  19. MrBob

Oddometer:
    How do you like that A2B? A shop in Longmont, CO has been selling them for a while and used units are coming onto the market.
  20. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Old tech and fairly heavy, and the chain is noisy, but I like it for riding the trails too fast for a bicycle and too slow for a motorcycle :) Big tires and full suspension are great. It will not pull you up the hill without you pedaling. There's no pedal assist, only throttle, which suits me fine. The battery is getting long in the tooth, and replacements are more expensive than what I paid for it used. Overall, would buy again for under $1000.