1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric bicycles

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by configurationspace, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Chuck Pryce

Chuck Pryce Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are enjoying our Sondor bikes,they have been great.I don't have anything to compaire them with first E bike.
  2. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you'd care to share with the class; I'm sure a number of us would like to hear about your experience with that bike.
  3. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    I became interested in E bike's after braking my neck and back, with nerve damage from my spinal cord trauma I had lost a lot of strength. I struggled with rides I used to be able to hammer on. Three years ago I test rode a Haibike at the Sea Otter bike festival. 20' and I was sold. One year later I sold off two bikes to fund a Haibike off Ebay. My buddys said your going to lose fitness riding that thing, your not going to ride real bikes any more !! But that has not happened Ive gain fitness and ride regular bikes now more than ever. I now only ride the E bike on rest days and by myself. I now keep up on my regular bike with the guys on regular bikes wear I was struggling to keep up. E bikes are there own kind of FUN !!! I would like to build up a commuter bike using a Bfang kit, going to work on that this year. Here is a pic of my Haibike 2000 trouble free miles.

[​IMG]
    bpc and liberpolly like this.
  4. Chuck Pryce

Chuck Pryce Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was pleasantly surprised with the Sondors bikes,they are heavy . We live in a mountainous area and they pull pretty well . We took them to the beach and they were really great there. He has another bike that will be out early summer with a aluminum frame and some other updates. For under $700 all in I would do it again.
  5. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
  6. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a fat tire electric bike? Pluses, minuses?
  7. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    I'm still lusting over a Stealth Bomber.
  8. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
  9. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Those - or their copies - are available on alibaba.com for about 1/3rd of the price.
  10. corybaby

corybaby weekend adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. MrBob

Oddometer:
  12. MrBob

Oddometer:
    I stopped in at the local electric bike store a few days ago and was quoted a little over 2,000.00 to electrify my Electra. :(
    That's a little rich for me right now. I still think I can come up with an acceptable setup for less than a thousand.
  13. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    ^that's crazy. You can buy a whole new electric bike for less.
  14. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Hi guys. Looking to possibly purchase an electric bike. One caveat, though, it has to be folding. I'd be bringing it to hotels in Lincoln, Nebraska and Grand Junction, Colorado via Amtrak.

There are lots of them out there, I see. I'd like something that can do dirt roads as I want to explore the Colorado National Monument a bit.

Liberpolly, I like that A2B Metro. I'll go Google it.
    woolfman likes this.
  15. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    The Fat Bad Bike caught my attention. A folding, fat tire electric.

Sweet. Forgot I replied to this thread about the Bomber.
  16. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    The Diamondback Trace EXC turned out to be a disappointment. Would not pull up steep hills, won't even assist. Power cuts off all the time after braking, hard to bring it back. Spokes squeal. Total dud. Sold it for almost what I paid for it new, though.
  17. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    Bump, my iZip Street Enlightened is now 9 years old and I'm going to try and get one my summer out of it but I think it's time to replace it.

I need to have pedal assist preferably with ~5 levels I find this to be a good amount, 3 could work though. If it has a twist throttle in addition to this that would be nice in case my legs ever give out, I can't use a thumb throttle easily.

Range isn't too big of an issue, 20 miles is fine, anything more is more just insurance against the battery's deterioration.

Now the big issue, price. I need to come in under 1k for sure and the cheaper the better. Has there been any news on that Sonders Thin bike?

I also have an old Schwinn Mesa GS from before they became a Wal Mart brand which is pretty decent if you have any suggestions on a good conversion kit which includes pedal assist.
  18. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    my SIL bought several sonders fat tire bikes , sold a couple and still has one more for sale , I took one to Big Bend last winter to put it to the test . I liked it very much , it would hold 15 mph on a slight hill and pulled a fairly steep and several hundred yard highway hill at 9 mph with pedal assist , steady pedal , not struggling . I aired it down to 10 psi and loved it off road , rode down a dry creek bed for a mile or so over several small rock falls and rode back up without dismounting . I stalled it one time but it was a rocky hill climb that I have seen a couple cars stalled on too . 30 mph was normal for a slight down hill with no pedal assist . My biggest problum was staying at the edge of the road . I kept thinking it was my mc and I could use all the road . Range was ten miles or so of off road and steep climbs before needing a recharge . Charge time from compleatly dead when I left it turned on in my trailer was 3 hours .
  19. motomem

motomem Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whatever I take an interest in I can always find something about it in here. Tell me more please. Building one would be fun. Memphis doesnt seem to have any shops still open. I watched some reviews on youtube that make them look useful.
  20. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    There is a Sondors on Let Go for $600.

Hmmmm...