1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric bicycles

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by configurationspace, Mar 19, 2015.

1. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    How does the peddle assist work? Is it just on or are there multiple levels?

They're looking really appealing at that price especially since even on closeout the updated version of my bike is about 1300 shipped.

[​IMG]

http://wheelworld.com/m/product/izi...VUD4U4Csa-SUioQs8QMVvUnZjNl3C2SwXgBoCr7Lw_wcB

But that thing would be perfect with its lithium ion battery and twist throttle on top of the pedal assist.

My current bike will do 10-15 miles still so I think I can squeeze one more year out of it.
  2. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    The pedals are there , you can pedal the bike or hit the power and just ride along , I like the ride along setting . It works just fine for flat land but in the hills a little pedal effort helped the bike maintain a higher speed considerably .
  3. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the Sondors was reliable enough to take into the desert it could be perfect for day trips. I've tried everything from a Jeep to a KLX 400 as desert exploration vehicles and an electric bike with a reasonable range and torque would be awesome.
  4. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    Flat land range for the sonders is around twenty miles , off road in the hills cut it in half so it's not much . Carrying a spare battery would double it so that's an option . Tire performance was awesome but if I were going to do it more I would take steps to make the tires flat proof . I enjoyed playing with it and prolly will take it again next year . For the price it kicks ass . There are a couple places I can go with it that I can't take my MC and my feet are a problum these days . Hiking is not fun anymore .
  5. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering how these electric fat bikes would do here in sugar sand. Florida has thousands of miles of trails open to bikes but most are just too sandy to be remotely enjoyable.
  6. motomem

motomem Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Read this - Sondors Electric Fat Bike Review - and find it maybe worth the gamble to get the thin version. Seems like if it was a good platform for building it would be worth it. I like them.

The thin version offers a belt drive which I like. Could the belt be a handicap when it comes to adding/ swapping stuff? I like the idea of a steel one better because of being weldable and stronger.

Are there other deals like this out there?

This www.alibaba.com is some weird shopping. Is it for real? If I send them 660 in 20.00 bills they will really send me an electric bicycle or any of a million other things.
    DakarNick likes this.
  7. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Oh a bit of miscommunication there, pedal assist is when there's a torque sensor and the motor adds to your power when you pedal.
  8. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Alibaba itself is one of the largest tech companies in the world, but if it's like Amazon then you could be dealing with a third party seller and who knows how legit they are.
  9. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    @cagiva549, would you recommend the Sondors?

Does it have pedal assist? I watched a YouTube video where one bike had the cadence sensor but the wire wasn't hooked up to anything under the panel.
  10. rhinoWERX

rhinoWERX Crikey mate!

Oddometer:
    This week - in honor of bike to work week - I rode my 3 speed, non-electric bicycle to work every day. My commute is approximate 7 miles one way with enough hills for me to work up too much of a sweat to be wearing my office attire while commuting.

I've been looking at pedal assist electric bicycles that will offer the opportunity to reduce the effort required in the hilly areas (not interested in throttle power). If I can ride to work in my office threads, I'd eliminate the need to bring a change of clothes (reducing the total time it takes to get from my front door into my office space).

My research keeps bringing me back to the Townie Go.

I still need to get over the price, but for my needs, and with consideration given to components, power/batter range, warranty/service (Electra is now owned by Trek), and looks, the Townie does it for me.

[​IMG]

I also need to schedule a test ride but am holding off until I've saved a few more dollars

Reviews appear generally good https://electricbikereview.com/electra/townie-go/
    MrBob likes this.
  11. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:

When I was out in NM I almost bought one of their regular bikes, it just felt great to ride with the only downside being that it was hard for me to go up hills due to the stress on my ankles which is why I bought my E-Bike so as long as the electric components are competent, and Trek hasn't screwed around with the bikes I wouldn't hesitate in buying one.
  12. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    That's tough call.
    Personally, I find the opposite - throttle power allows me to modulate uphill climb effort, while running on muscle power on flats. Power assist is either too intrusive on flats, or two weak uphill, and constantly switching it is a hassle. All my bikes are on throttle only.
    Mr. B likes this.
  13. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:

The motor switch is on the bars like a atv throttle , the bike I rode had a attachment that is supposed to lower top speed and produce more torque for hills , it had 5 settings but I didn't ride the same section of hill and test it in each setting to see how much difference it made so I can't say about the 200 dollar extra add on . It's also a speedometer so that's 50 bucks worth . If you want to pedal don't hit the switch if you want electric power its there . I found when climbing long hills the pedals were a must to maintain a decent pace still a lot less effort than pedals alone . If you want to try electrics with out spending a couple grand the sonders is the way to go . I'm sure there are better electrics out there but not for the money . The power has no settings other than on or off . Down hill with power you can haul ass .
  14. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks! Just waiting for the seller to respond to my questions.
  15. Wingboy

Wingboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    motomem and liberpolly like this.
  16. motomem

Oddometer:
    Tell me about kits? I have Trek Cruiser - aluminum, v brakes, 7 speed. Would buying the rear wheel kit just be a matter of changing the wheel, slipping the chain on and installing the rest to be good to go. Fitting the wheel and chain scares me if its not just a change out. Advice is appreciated. Oh is my sort of bike ok for a kit? I don't want to do much more than have a'little help up hills.
  17. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
  18. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. motomem

Oddometer:
    Something about front wheel drive scares me. Front wheel drive motorcycles aren't common. Are there down sides?
  20. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer: