1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric CB from Honda?

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by cabanza, Aug 18, 2020.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
  2. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it.
  3. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you think the upcharge will end up being over a the CB300R?
  4. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This may be a limited release model sold at a loss, to gain experience.

That said, emotos that are real motos are expensive. Part of that is maximizing energy density, so the batteries cost more.
  5. BlackMarch

BlackMarch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What electric car manufacturers tend to do is that they price electric cars so that they loose money initially but then use the predicted battery prices a year or two in the future to make sure they make money at the lower price point. So it might also be that.

Either way, sooner or later electric bikes will be the norm.
  6. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bold prediction! If it happens in the US, a whole lot of infrastructure would be needed. Large country.
  7. BlackMarch

BlackMarch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's either that or Hydrogen, I think Hydrogen could become the mass market norm first but solid state battery cars/motorcycles is just a matter of time. It will pass a point where fossil fuels simply won't be able to compete cost-wise and the infrastructure will need to be built just to keep the American economy competitive. Just looking at the German auto industry the biggest unions are expecting to loose around 40% of their jobs in the next 10-15 years simply because of how much simpler is it to build electric cars compared to the far more complex mechanical machines.

Just looking at electric cars they don't have to change oil, they don't need to change air filters, they don't need to change spark plugs, they don't need to change fuel filters, they don't have to worry about mechanical errors in the gearbox or with the clutch, they don't have change belts, service turbos or water pumps. There's just fewer movable parts in electric vehicles and that the real reason why they'll eventually become the norm.

Mind you, I live in Norway which I believe has the highest adoption rate of electric vehicles out of any country with good infrastructure for electric cars. And for the first months of 2020, before the Covid crisis hit 80% of all new cars sold were electric. Some of that is due to good incentives, but another significant part of is that people just don't want to own fossil fuel cars any more. I can't imagine myself ever buying one, looking at new cars, I don't even bother checking the fossil ones out.

That said, fossil fuel motorcycles still make more sense to me than electric ones. But it's only a matter of time in my mind. Right now the biggest downsize with electric motorcycles in my mind is weight, but with lighter, higher capacity batteries I don't think I'd think twice about purchasing an electric one.
    MJSfoto1956 and _mtg_ like this.