Electric Grom accelerates quicker than gas Grom

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by voltsxamps, May 24, 2016.

1. Drickleflipsee

Drickleflipsee n00b

Oddometer:
    Voltsxamps; I’m a huge fan of yours—you’ve helped me so much with your forum posts! I just typed an entire freaking novella and almost posted it, but then I realized; nobody wants that.
    I have a question and an idea regarding upgrading the speed and range of e-groms, particularly the 96V battery addon, but the question leads into a potentially very lucrative business plan that I’m interested in sharing with you privately first, in case you want to try it on your own or with me first. You may think it’s stupid, but either way, you’d definitely be helping me out a ton just by responding & answering my question!
    My email address is ryan at tripleogmail.com.
    (I’m not sure how his forum is about posting links)
    If you’d be so kind, please email me there & I will respond & let you know my idea and question.
    I’d simply private message you here, but it’s not allowing that, I’m not sure if that’s because my account is only a month or two old.
    Either way, thank you so much sir!!!
    Everyone else, keep up the awesome work and either way, I’ll follow up with what I’m talking about in more detail soon!

Attached Files:

EvrythingAwesom likes this.
  2. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    PM sent :^)
    Drickleflipsee likes this.
  3. Drickleflipsee

Drickleflipsee n00b

Oddometer:
    Likewise.

—thanky EvrythingAwesom!!
  4. macd7919

macd7919 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like you are assuming the motor is 100% efficient, which it isn’t. A brushed motor is in the neighborhood of 70-80% efficient, a Chinese motor is probably on the lower end of that scale. Rerun your calc at P=(0.7)(VI) and that will answer part of your question about where the power is going. Also, your circuit breaker may be 7A but that doesn’t mean that’s what the resistance adds up to (V=IR), you may have a breaker at 7A but it may not necessarily (and most likely isnt if that’s the trip point) be flowing 7A. This would also affect your calc. Granted I’m not a e-bike person so if there is something I’m missing about how they work then feel free to correct me.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  5. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    macd, thank you- both are good points that I overlooked. As suggested, multiplying .7 x175cc = 122.5, placing it closer to a Honda’s Grom, which makes sense considering the max sustained speed is similar, though, the gas variant is able to maintain relatively constant hp/torque, whereas it’s SLA powered brethren steadily declines as voltage drops. Thankfully, lithium chemistries solve for this with flat discharge characteristics.

I’m fairly certain the breaker temporarily permits peak amperage above its rated 7A, eventually tripping if sustained @150% for more than a few seconds as most breakers of this type do. I have tripped mine on a couple occasions with sustained heavy load/max potentiometer input and agree that flow at normal loads are <7A.

Gearing helps keep torque/hp in its respective peak curves, while electrics produce max torque from near zero rpm, producing less as rpms rise, initially granting quicker acceleration but running out of steam as it nears its max output/load.

As an owner of both ICE & electric, I’m ever fascinated with how the two compare, how each provides their own visceral experience to the rider, and thrilled that I have lived in a time to tell the tale of each :)
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.