Electric Heights Frolic Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nightstalker, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    Or the Dreadlock Pizza Ride, or the Three Amigos Ride, or the Nasty F'ing Rock Hill Ride, or lastly, the Day After the Rains Came Ride.

Yesterday, we were fortunate enough to receive 9.5 inches of rain, with clouds and light rain forecasted to continue into today. What kind of pussy ADVRiders would we be if we let a little water derail our riding plans?

9:00 AM, 1stiski and I meet at dgrs2's place in Jim Thorpe, PA. It was an early, cold, and wet 60 mile all slab start of the day for me. 1stiski's heated grips aren't working, tear the bitch apart, we can fix anything! Kind of looks like a scene out of WestWorld.
    [​IMG]

It's about 40 miles from Jim Thorpe to Electric Heights, or Electric City, just outside of Wilkes Barre, PA. Hello dirt!
    [​IMG]

I'm told that the view is spectacular. We may never know for sure. Sounds like a good enough reason to return when the weather is better.
    [​IMG]

This shit was so thick it was difficult to see the trail below your tires at times.
    [​IMG]

As we decended and the day wore on, visibility improved. Maybe we were better off not seeing what lies ahead.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Actually, big slabs of rock offer pretty good traction. Covered with dirt or small marble sized stones can make things trickier.
    [​IMG]

Rocky downhill. I hope we don't have to go back up that one!
    [​IMG]

I could ride this stuff all day long. Note to self, remember to ride this stuff all day long.
    [​IMG]

Smoking hole, another underground coal mine fire. There was steam coming up from everywhere! This area hasn't been evacuated and closed yet. The residents just continue on with their daily lives.
    [​IMG]

Our bikes receiving a steam cleaning.
    [​IMG]

Rocky uphill. One of many to come.
    [​IMG]

The grand daddy of rocky uphills!! 1stiski was stuck here smoking that rear tire, until I snuck up and gave him a little push.
    [​IMG]

At the top.
    [​IMG]

Overlooking Wilkes Barre. We're just below the clouds.
    [​IMG]

Rocky trails. Never in PA.
    [​IMG]

Heading down the mountain, we're ready for some lunch. It would be a little while until we find a way out. We won't be getting across this bridge.
    [​IMG]

We followed a trail that ran along side of the stream the bridge crossed. Tall vertical banks to the stream edge until this point. Off the bikes, we investigate instead of jetting head first into oblivion.
    [​IMG]

We did find a cool waterfall.
    [​IMG]

And an interesting green piece of wood.
    [​IMG]

Did we find a way out? Was that stream crossable?? Maybe. I would have gave it a go, but... Was this trail doable? Maybe, on a dirt bike! But those rain soaked roots sticking out of everywhere of that steep wet leaf covered trail winding up the side of the mountain, not on my quarter ton adventure machine.
    [​IMG]

We turn around and look elsewhere.
    [​IMG]

We found this nice lake. Trail was a dead end though.
    [​IMG]

Salvation! We found interstate 81. I tell the guys that I'm sure that we could jump that guardrail, into oncoming traffic...
    [​IMG]

It's a little tight, but doable. I'm hungry damnit! Jim Thorpe Dave on the orange KTM 950.
    [​IMG]

Uncle Robert on the beautiful black KTM 950.
    [​IMG]

1stiski showing off pizza nirvana! This place was called the Dough Company. All I know is that it's in Wilkes Barre. Uncle Robert can tell you how to get there. I think that this was the best damn pizza I've ever eaten! Make sure to get the ultra thin.
    [​IMG]

Ask for Colleen, you can't see it here, but she's got some bitchen dreadlocks! Apparently, she's gotten tired of guys trying to pick her up, so she wears that big button. She's got a great smile!
    [​IMG]

Three amigos at "The Tubs".
    [​IMG]

Come on Dave, jump!
    [​IMG]

The water coming down the side of the mountain has carved "tubs" into the living rock! A local favorite place for a cool refreshing dip during the dog days of summer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JT Dave carefully crossing the sloping waterfall. One wrong step and he'll be washed away!
    [​IMG]

From here we called it a day and journey'd home our separate ways. I finished the day with 225 more miles on the odometer than I started with. I'm sure glad I decided to get out of bed this morning!
  2. RichBomb

RichBomb Curse of the Lono

Oddometer:
    Love the colors, good ride report.
  3. dgrs2

dgrs2 Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer:
    :freaky :clap :clap Nice stuff TZ. What a great day. I figured you and my bro would be up for an early morning wake up call. Turned out to be a wonderful day. Here is some stuff to add.
    The start in the dirt. It felt good to get into the woods. The roads weren't real cycle friendly on the way up. Wet leaves and sharp turns do not make good with a knobby tire. Didn't get squirely, :eek1 just felt uncomfortable.
    [​IMG]
    Yes it certainly was pea soup up here.
    [​IMG]
    TZ at the bottom of the hill. Of course until I get the camera out, turn it on he is almost out of the shot....damn.
    [​IMG]
    Anybody bring the hot dogs? These holes throw off some steam.
    [​IMG]
    These next few pics just look cool. KTM's are so bad ass they burn up the ground :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The slippery rock section. This area was a treat. Can't wait to go back and explore more. Terrain was really different. Just think how big this rock is? Were only on the part cleared off by vehicles.
    TZ on the way up errrr down hard to say.
    [​IMG]
    Robert coming up the slippery rock area. This is the spot he was playing sit and spin :rofl

[​IMG]

TZ trying to pull a wheelie but with no luck. Rear just kept spinning.
    [​IMG]

A good look at one of the "Tubs"
    [​IMG]

All in all a great day. Can't wait for the next adventure. By the way that pizza was the best ever. Thin and oh so good. :freaky
  4. LavaBull

LavaBull Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NIIICCEEE....I love rocks, but I hate RUTTS..Great pics..

:lurk

[​IMG]
  5. crashman1400

crashman1400 Bullfrog dual-sport

Oddometer:
    Damn, I knew I missed a great ride! Looks like you guys had a great time!
  6. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    Have to say, fellaz, What a ride,, nice,,, We've got even more to explore up there for the next ride !!!! I've got a few more tricks up my sleeve for the group. Once again JTADVriders come through on a good ride.. Hats off to the best comrads to go riding with.
  7. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a blast, glad the weather held out for you.
  8. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Gona be a good rally down that way next year.

Wetter and muddier, too. :ricky
  9. DirtRoadDave

DirtRoadDave I am Iron man

Oddometer:
    Rally, what rallye?

10. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Terrific pictures, beautiful scenery, great report... what more can you ask for. :thumb
  11. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
  12. dgrs2

Oddometer:
  13. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
  14. Slaniac

Slaniac Martini elbow

Oddometer:
    Nice report. Thanks for the view of my dads home state.

BTW, this is a waterfall...

[​IMG]
  15. dgrs2

Oddometer:
    You suck :D :D :D
  16. dgrs2

Oddometer: