Electric Iron Butt

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Rugby4life, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Rugby4life

Rugby4life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On 9/27/19 I will be attempting the first Iron Butt (1000 miles in 24 hours) on a stock electric motorcycle. I will be taking delivery of a 2019 Esse Esse 9 at Team Powersports Raleigh and riding off the showroom floor to start the attempt. Just to make things more interesting, I have never ridden an SS9, or even seen one in person. A good friend of mine suggested the SS9 when I told him of the Zero's ergonomic shortcomings for me personally. I'm trading in my 2017 Zero SR and going with DCFC. If everything goes perfectly, it should take about 20 hrs. Of course, I've never been on a long ride where everything went perfectly so let's see what happens. I will be attempting to do Facebook live updates at each charging stop and posting them on the Energica Motorcycles Owners Group page. Plugshare Map.jpg Elevation.jpg
    flei, ctromley, Vegas800XC and 7 others like this.
  2. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck on your SS1000.
    Traxx likes this.
  3. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Certainly looks doable. I do with Zero would just update their bikes with a CCS (DCFC) charger. That and about a 150 combined range on their Black Forest DS would have me opening my wallet. My car has CCS available.
    Traxx likes this.
  4. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    I presume a fairing is one of the first things that will be added if it isn't already added. On my last 3000 mile RT, I found my right wrist to be the sorest part of my ride. Adding one of those "cruise control" throttle adapters on my next LD excursion. I also found comfort, literally, by placing a dimpled foam pad underneath my derriere. Have fun and wishing you the best of everything on your journey!
  5. Rugby4life

Oddometer:
    UPDATE: Well, things didn't exactly go to plan on this attempt. I ran into trouble from my first charging stop. The high power stations I was going to use were off line for upgrades so I had to use low power 15kw station about 7 miles away. So that changed my charging time 15 to 40 minutes. The 2nd stop was also a 15kw station but everything went smoothly. Everything unraveled at my critical 3rd stop. I needed to charge to 100% to reach my next stop. I ended up wasting about 2 hours there and still didn't have nearly enough juice to continue on my planned route. There's a video link below that gives a full rundown of the day. Overall, only a little over 300 miles travelled and only got to use 1 high powered station but that gave me a glimpse at how an iron butt is possible with proper infrastructure. I've already started route planning for my next attempt focusing exclusively on reliable, high powered stations, preferably 50-60 miles apart.

https://www.facebook.com/rev.caton/videos/10158782554598056/?t=8
  6. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Useful experience to apply towards the next attempt. The will to continue when the going gets tough is the true embodiment of adventure riding.

I look forward to your progress and know that you it’s not a matter of if, but when, you complete your iron butt run. Thank you for the update and for inspiring the rest of us to get out there and go for it.
    chainslap, MJSfoto1956 and Ditch like this.
  7. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rugby4life, I live about an hour south of Raleigh, near Southern Pines and have an Eva 107. I had looked at doing an Iron Butt ride but heading to Charlotte and going south into Georgia and back. By my calculations it would be possible to ride 1000 miles in 24 hours but it was going to be REALLY close and everything had to go perfect. If you had to wait on a DCFC or one didn't work you were screwed. If you would like my route plan just let me know. Vinny
  8. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    Best of luck to you !!
  9. Ray R

Ray R Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not trying to be a dick, but I think what you’re trying to attempt is a “saddle sore 1000”.
    An iron butt is more of a multi day event and typically covers over 1000 miles a day.
    Good luck with your attempt!
  10. Traxx

Traxx Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be a Iron Butt Rally.
    The Saddle Sore 1000 is a Iron Butt ride, along with the Bun Burner 1500 etc...

Looking forward to hearing about the second attempt. A average overall speed of 50mph is all that is needed. Maybe slow down to eliminate some of the charging stops to increase the overall speed. Take naps, eat and stretch when you’re charging. The game is more about time management than high speeds.
    Rollin' likes this.
  11. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. millican

millican Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a commendable effort. I'd have assumed the first 1000-mile in 1 day ride on an electric would have been by someone with some $upport to have charged batteries staged along the route to swap out. How do they handle the lack of fuel receipts?
  13. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. Rugby4life

Oddometer:
  15. Rugby4life

Oddometer:
    The first 1k day on an electric bike was done in 2014 by Terry Hershner on a highly modified Zero. What Brandon, myself and others are trying to do is be the first person to do it on a stock, production electric motorcycle.
    Traxx likes this.
  16. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Should be called "Iron Balls". Maybe I need a more comfortable seat, but my butt's not the first thing that gets sore on extended rides! :cry
    Oilhed and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  17. millican

millican Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my Helix, as the padding has worn, that's been my unfortunate experience too.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.