Electric is getting more interesting

Discussion in 'Australia' started by oodeano, May 16, 2014.

1. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Makita stuff looks good. Just wait til Stihl marry their emerging domestic battery tech with high quality cutting chains for commercial/ forestry ops. Game-changing stuff for sure.
    ToriMish likes this.
  2. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is very interesting. Great performance, but range is still a bit limited.

BygDaddee, 59DEN and ToriMish like this.
  3. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really get the feeling range is less of a concern in the rest of the world than it is to us her on ozadv - even the average aussie rider would be reasonably comfortable with a 200 k day ride range with a top up at the relevant café

Now if we could just get a Makita pack.......or even just a Makita compatible port to charge as we ride from our power tool batteries . (and those of us who invested in the wrong brand tools can use the battery adapters ). Surely someone in adv land has the skill set to get this working??? (and while we're dreaming, I'll take an adapter to fit my giant emtb)
    Tomdog and Dakar Dan like this.
  4. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shhhh...you’ll start a Mak vs. Milwaukee debate in a minute.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  5. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    :( Ryobi :doh
  6. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having followed the cannondale story closely, I view it is simply their dirt bike offering was shite. I own 6 cannondale bikes and their bikes were superb.

But the facst were their dirt bike offer was very poorly executed. So the world saw through the hype and dismissed them. Cannondale did not one thing equivalent let alone better than the Japanese and they suffered.

I think the same with occur with this e bike fad. E bikes have been around for decades. Lithjium tech has been around for 40 years

Apart from the fact you cannot pour electricity, batteries will never ever reach the energy density kg for kg of fossil fuel. And thats what stops the show. E bikes are an inferior offering and public see through the hype. So expect more money to be dusted as people dream on.

Fact avoidance is a game normally better played with your own money not others. The more e vehicle companies gro broke the better in my view as it will send the msssage not to invest in them.

Motorcycles (as with many other IC products) are defined by their engine - take that out and you're operating a washing machine.
  7. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:

Tesla is the biggest short in history
  8. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd say you're right about range. Even for someone like me who just wants enough charge for a couple of hours on the trails. For ADV riding battery swapping will be where it's at - instead of dumping petrol somewhere along your route it'll be a spare battery. That is until the technology improves markedly.

For an e-motorcycle you need a LOT more power than a 5Ah drill battery can put out, but I understand it's a dream. Don't forget the real driving force behind producing these things is profit, so nothing will ever come cheap and 10 (or probably more) of those batteries will cost you, even with economy of scale.
  9. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess the dream is some sort of interchangeable battery system so we minimize cost / environmental impact . No point having $10 k of battery in the motorbike, $30 k in the car, $50 k n the house etc.

But knowing my luck, I'd buy the beta video version of netflix
    JohnG. and flinders_72 like this.
  10. numbat

numbat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did RYOBI upset you Dr?
  11. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    Beemer i8...lovely...but stupidly expensive...

2019-09-10 08.49.49.jpg
  12. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
  13. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started with Ryobi prior to bunnings getting exclusive rights , back in the day when Ryobi made decent quality rather than cheap tools. So I've got some fantastic older drills etc, but a few useless land fill candidates like a whipper snipper that struggles to spin its own chord (never mind cut grass) or an angle grinder that spins slower than my old hand drills....

Add in their move to a 36 v power system for garden tools rather than just plugging in 2 18 v batteries like Makita does , plus the difficulty getting a Ryobi battery to alternate brand adapters (you can get Makita to Ryobi , for example) . Lets just saw future purchases are going to be Makita and the Ryobi gear gets progressively retired.
    numbat and Richarde1605 like this.
  14. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:

Just read this :deal over in the e-bike forum: https://advrider.com/f/threads/elec...er-news-updates.1154248/page-37#post-38393070

interesting... :1drink

Watch this Sur Ron electric motorcycle win 1st place racing against gas motorcycles

Micah Toll - Sep. 8th 2019 2:37 pm ET

The Sur Ron electric motorcycle is one of the most exciting off-road electric motorcycles to hit the scene recently. The high performance yet low-cost electric motorcycle showed off its abilities by smoking a bunch of gas motorcycles to win 1st place in a recent race. Check out the epic video below!

The Sur Ron electric motorcycle was introduced last year and became an instant hit. Its low price of around $3,500 combined with around 6 kW of power and 45-ish mph (72 km/h) top speed make it a popular little electric motorcycle.

We rarely get to see it compete against gas motorcycles in formal races though, so this was a rare treat. In the race video below, Tucker Neary entered the Sur Ron in his local Hare Scramble race in Naturita, Colorado.

As Tucker explained to Electrek:

“The race was a Hare Scramble format and I entered into the Sportsman Class with a 2019 Sur-Ron X. The Sportsman Class is an Unclassified Class and allows racers to race any motorcycle size and displacement, which was a good fit for my untraditional entry. I had only ridden the bike once before the race so although I knew I could be competitive on it, I was not sure where it would stack up against traditional gas race bikes.”

[​IMG]

The Sur Ron had an immediate handicap when the race started due to the “dead engine” start requirement, which meant the Sur Ron had start with the key in the off position. The Sur Ron has around a 4 to 5-second electronic start-up delay, giving it a bit of a slower start from the completely off position. However, Tucker quickly took the lead in his motorcycle class and held onto it throughout the race.

As Tucker explained to us:

“Traditional motocross bikes have more suspension and power. These two things were my biggest disadvantage aboard the Sur-Ron X. The race course was rough and choppy and the bike did not soak up the rough track like a traditional gas bike, it required me to pick my lines carefully and try to be strategic when coming into difficult sections. I could keep my speed on the fast flowing sections of the track but the power limitations were noticeable when I had a steep hill to climb or needed to pass another racer quickly. The advantages of the Sur-Ron are that it is light and nimble. If I picked the right line and carried momentum, the bike would dissect the course nicely.”

Tucker as had another advantage aboard the Sur Ron: Its stealthy silence.

“On a traditional gas bike, you can always hear your competitors as they get close to you and you can race them accordingly. No one knew I was there! I started having to use the horn because I knew I was catching racers off guard when trying to pass them. They had no idea I had closed up on them.”

See Tucker’s ride first hand in the video from his Electric Cycle Rider YouTube channel. Then continue reading below for Tucker’s race impressions.

Sur Ron race video

The grueling 3 lap race covered extremely rough terrain and took Tucker 58 minutes to complete.

The Sur Ron’s battery is just shy of 2 kW. That’s a lot for an e-bike but rather modest for an electric motorcycle, especially one ridden through sand and dirt.

As the race neared the end, Tucker’s Sur Ron had nearly depleted its battery. The bike’s top speed and power dropped as it began to enter “limp mode”.

Then with just four turns left on the last lap, the battery died and Tucker had to do the walk of shame across the line. Though with the lead he built up through out the race, there wasn’t too much shame in it since he still held onto first place in his motorcycle class. Not too shabby!

As Tucker explained in a recap of the race:

“I placed 1st in my class and I’m pretty stoked about that! I think the bike did really well. I almost finished with the battery, but on that third lap I went into EP [economy] mode and about three or four corners from the finish it finally gave out but that’s about the best place possible to have the bike die on me. Each lap was just slightly over 5 miles so I basically got 15 miles of hard riding and my total time elapsed was 58 minutes.”

While the Sur Ron is often quoted as having a range of around 40-50 miles (65-80 km), that is only possible when riding in Eco mode and at reduced speeds on flat, smooth terrain. Sand, dirt and hills are all known to eat up battery in electric motorcycles, making these styles of races particularly brutal for electric motorcycles. Of course that also makes the 1st place finish all the more impressive.

https://electrek.co/2019/09/08/sur-ron-electric-motorcycle-race-beat-gas-motorcycles/
    ferals5 and Squily like this.
  15. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    JohnG. likes this.
  16. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    As much as I want to get excited about a light compliance plated e dirt bike, I might wait until the company selling them has a better grasp of truth.

An example " The Sur Ron had an immediate handicap when the race started due to the “dead engine” start requirement, which meant the Sur Ron had start with the key in the off position. The Sur Ron has around a 4 to 5-second electronic start-up delay, giving it a bit of a slower start from the completely off position. However, Tucker quickly took the lead in his motorcycle class and held onto it throughout the race."

Watch the video - he was the second quickest starting bike in his group......not exactly a handicap? As for holding onto the lead throughout the race - it sounded a lot like he was getting passed at the first edit?

And that voltbike link is claiming the sur ron to be a ktm competitor ? They forgot to edit out his comments about " missing dirt bike suspension" , and perhaps him cutting sections of track? ( 15 min ish where he's talking about needing the horn to pass and the other rider heads right / disappears out of audio range) . :imaposer

I REALY want to believe in these things, but I'm not that gullible
  17. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    Up against a 300EXC....really?
  18. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
  19. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Were the eBay batteries genuine Makita, Tori?

I was about to buy some of the cheap Chinese ones until the reviews scared me off.
  20. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    Ron, I'm a builder and all my battery tools are 18v Makita, I have 6 batteries, a mix of 3,5,6Ah, the 3Ah are the oldest at about 14 years old.
    Only in the last 12 months those have been dying and I'm down to the last one, I replace them with genuine Makita 5 or 6Ah ones.
    As you can imagine I use them every day with saws, drills, impact drivers, grinders etc so they are well worth the cost for the life I get out of them.
    My only corded tools are compound mitre saw, track saw and large jack hammer.
    OzCr0w, BergDonk and Ron50 like this.