Electric is getting more interesting

Discussion in 'Australia' started by oodeano, May 16, 2014.

1. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm glad I went genuine, and not from eBay.

Some of the feedback from eBay buyers is saying that even the ones claimed to be genuine are fake copies that are pretty useless and under test are nowhere near the amp/hour capacity claimed, won't fit into the charger or tool and won't hold charge.
    a2zworks likes this.
  2. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Makita bought out a cheapy drill a few years ago that had an orphan battery, nuffin else fits the drill and you can no longer buy the batteries for it. Quick glance it looks zigackly the same as any other Makita so I’m tipping all those Crapinese copies are this drill and it’s redheaded step-child battery. I only bought it cause I was in Bairnsdale and my drill was in Baranduda (a good C&W song title). Like you Paul I have lots of Makita stuff and the 5ah batteries are the dogs bollocks, early 3ah batteries (5 or 6 yrs old now) are beginning to die. Be bloody great to carry a couple on the emtb and just plug them in when needed, real world experience of an electric bike is the range is nowhere near what a salesman tells you if you actually want to use it for what it was designed for. Speaking of cheap shit, the bloke at battery world showed me half a dozen AGM’s that really weren’t recently, he’d cut one open, and a LiFePo that looked like a football. If you’re looking at large lithium as I am and think rolling the dice on an eBay battery for half the dollars is worth it ($500), don’t.

I think we are in a bit of a twilight zone atm, so much absolute crap EV’s out there from China that are skewing the public perception, there’s some really really good stuff happening and some very smart people making it happen but of course there’s also the people who want a fast buck and those who want to catch the wave. Dont know where Mr Musk fits in there, I had a chat to a Tesla owner last weekend and he loves the car, loves the power, has got used to the need to plug in regularly but still feels he’s paying to develop the tech, they are a massive chunk of change.
    a2zworks and Dr AT like this.
  3. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Ninebot is supposed to have a range of about 20 kilometres and I reckon that's about right.

My Aldi fold-up pedalec is supposed to have a range of about 50k and after 20k rides the battery level indicator has never dropped below three on a scale of five, even towing a trailer and big dog up steep hills: usually it only loses the fifth towards the end of the ride. So the 50k claim looks realistic.

I suppose it is hard to judge performance with a pedalec because so much depends on your energy input.

However, a replacement Samsung battery is $499 - on a $799 bike!

Then again, Bunnings want $389 for two 18v 5ah Makita batteries and the dual charger, and I only paid $349 for the saw new. Many other places want even more for the genuine batteries.
    GodSilla and a2zworks like this.
  4. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    About 6 weeks ago I dropped in at Marshall Batteries to enquire about a lithium for the bike, they are not selling any until they improve because they have had 90% failure rate,these were well known brands, can't remember which though.
    They have been doing tests on one particular one that is looking promising, they should be on sale by the end of the year if they are happy with it, just waiting for further tests results to come through.
    Bloke said that they have upset a few customers with lithium so they are a bit hesitant in pushing them, and the risk of stranding someone in the middle of nowhere with dodgy batteries.
    In my case, I was preparing to go to Central Australia, he tested my 2 year old oem battery and came up good no need for a new one, if I did need one he said to go for the tried and tested current technology, we know they works and are reliable.
    Just looked at Newcastle KTM fiche and OEM is listed at $453:eek7, do people buy these things? I wouldn't think so.
    We will get there I'm sure.
  5. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few years back I rang a local battery seller I'd been dealing with for years and was given a big scare story about the lithium batteries exploding and catching fire.

But I've got SSB lithiums (LFP14H-BS LiFePo4 with prismatic cells, which are supposed to cure the overheating problems with earlier lithium batteries) in a few of my bikes - some for a few years - and couldn't be happier with them. I use ordinary chargers for them but they hardly ever need charging because they don't lose charge from sitting the way AGM and wet cell batteries do.

The ones in the older bikes without parasitic drain for clocks and security et cetera can go for months without dropping charge.

All the batteries except the one for the R100GSPD are the same size and model and were about $179 or $189 with free postage from Brisbane. Before I bought the larger one for the R100GSPD I ran the bike for a while with the smaller battery from one of the other bikes and just packed the battery box for a snug fit.

So if I wasn't as lazy and wanted to save money I could use just the one battery and swap it to whichever bike I want to use.

I'm a believer.
    DeLewis, ferals5, Cruz and 1 other person like this.
  6. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a Lithium for my 1150RT. I got sick of dead and weak 'standard' batteries, even though I usually keep it on a tender. Even fully charged the stock battery struggles to turn the bike over (yes I've cleaned the starter motor) and it's only two years old. Apart from saving 3.5kg the CCA of the lithium is much higher , around 170CCA versus 580 for the lithium. I had to go down the lithium road because the RT is a big, heavy bike and I'm not getting any younger, so it's part of a weight shedding process first and foremost.

PS. I put an SSB lithium in my WR250 and it seems to be going pretty well after 10 months or so so went with SSB again for the RT.

PSS. I should add that the current agm battery is also an SSB, so make of that what you will.
    Ron50 likes this.
  7. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    I had a 2000 model 1150GS that I replaced the original factory battery in 2015 because the clock started resetting itself, other than that it seemed to start the bike ok, didn't want to get stranded when it did go.
    When I connected the new one I noticed the starter spinning faster, so it was on its way out.
    15 years is a very good life span for a battery, tried to get the same brand but ended installing an SSB.
    flinders_72 likes this.
  8. SaAdvRider99

SaAdvRider99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    And their back-up truck

Attached Files:

EkrebDK, Lutz, Bigem and 1 other person like this.
  10. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    troy safari carpente and 59DEN like this.
  11. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I'd prefer a "real" rear guard with tail light, rear indicators and plateholder mounted to it, as opposed to that - get tangled up in the first bit of mud, grass and sticks - set up hanging off the rear of the swingarm.

I guess guess for city/commuter street work it gets the job done simply and nastily... but judging by the suspension and tires... the Sur Ron is aimed at off highway use... so at least that tail tidy looks as though it would be quick and easy to remove.
    flinders_72 likes this.
  12. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Sur Ron...

Latest news is that they are coming out with a full-sized electric dirt bike. Along the lines of the Alta Redshift or TACITA RacE - intended as a direct contender to contemporary sized modern enduro or mx style offroad machines. This is not a scaled down electric playbike - like the KTM Freerider or Zero's, and it's not a beefed up e-MTB - like the cakE or Sur Ron bike (as pictured in the post immediately above).

Here's a write-up: https://evnerds.com/electric-vehicl...torm-bee-mx-and-homologated-version-revealed/

[​IMG]

:lurk interesting...

hurry up HONDA :dirtdog
    Dr AT, flinders_72 and Lutz like this.
  13. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Yes, interesting!
  14. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was reading about this earlier today. Looks very interesting. I'm just about ready to drop some coin on one of these : https://www.surronaustralia.com.au/surron-australia-off-road- but the larger Sur-Ron storm might make me re-evaluate my purchase.
  15. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    The "light-bee" strikes me as a good stab at producing a "e-moto-lite" type of bike... it is for sure a step up from the e-mtb's, but not reeeeally a motorcycle - in true offroad/dirt bike/enduro/mx terms.

To me, the "light bee" is a continuation/improvement on the cakE and Stealth type of platform... i.e. another evolution that uses a lightweight MTB/downhill bike style chassis and suspension, with a throttle regulated electric motor (instead of pedals).

What gets my attention about the "storm bee", is that it appears to be what is regarded as a "full size" enduro/dirt bike. If it puts out the equivalent to the ALTA (as far as motor performance/torque goes), and they can keep the weight at @ under 125 kilo's (or less?), and reasonable battery charge/replacement times - then they could well be on a winner.
  16. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
  17. bigredroosta

bigredroosta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone been the first to ride an electric motorcycle round Oz yet?
  18. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard, read or seen anything on the web or industry blurb about it... you'd think if someone had though... that the manufacturer behind the effort would have made a big song and dance about it...

But to be honest - unless the aim was to do it (solo) "unsupported" i.e. charge/re-charge along the way using the existing infra-structure available - it would likely just end up being more about the level of logistic support (mobile support vehicle(s), with re-charging station/change out batteries etc.), than the actual feat of riding an electric motorcycle around Oz.

Look at the amount of flak that Ewan and Thingy are recieving for using Harley Livewires for their latest "Arse end up, media adventour" from South America to Alaska... At some stage it becomes more about how big the support entourage of film vehicles and battery charging trucks are involved... than the viability of the electric motorcycle as a vehicle suited to cross a continent(s) capably.

For mine, these e-motos are still in the "short to medium range" (stealthy day trip) fun ride stage of their development... and at the moment - I'm fine with that. :ricky
    Richarde1605 and flinders_72 like this.
  19. OzCr0w

OzCr0w She'll be right mate!

Oddometer:
    I've got the local ACT distributor bringing the Sur-Ron lite Bee out to my place for a try out this Saturday.
    I'm on a small acreage with a nasty hill full of rock so its gonna get a work out.

So far as the rego version, Canberra Motorcycle Centre are apparently taking it up as floor stock.
    I'm impressed by what research I've done and the support being offered.

I'll give an honest opinion and have lots of pics in a couple of days.
    Anyone local who wants to come for a look is welcome. PM for details
    ferals5, Gone Troppo, Hoots and 6 others like this.
  20. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    I'd be keen, but have to be elsewhere, have fun.
    OzCr0w likes this.