Electric is getting more interesting

Discussion in 'Australia' started by oodeano, May 16, 2014.

1. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Mate, the Grand Final is on with the Giants.........priorities!
  2. OzCr0w

OzCr0w She'll be right mate!

Oddometer:
    Yeah... its hard to cover up ignorance once it's been made obvious.
    DeLewis likes this.
  3. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  4. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cooma is a town in NSW Australia, population about 7000. It seems that some people think that it is worth investing in EV infrastructure. So a town with about 0.028 % of the population has 5 outlets with more coming, hmmm.
  5. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Local manager has a Tesla, ive noticed, and it gets a lot of snow and summer sports traffic to the mountains.
    Plenty of wind and Solar farms nearby too.
    I guess all this makes a good pilot project...
    Watching with interest but in no hurry to part with our current vehicles.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  6. OzCr0w

Oddometer:
    I had a test ride on the Sur-Ron today along with a few mates.

IMG_4837.JPG IMG_4838.JPG

I'll go so far as to say I'm very impressed, first by the very reasonable price vs obvious quality and the eye pleasing design, but mostly by the feeling it gave when riding it. It really felt exciting and scalpel like in the way it made me want to thread through the terrain instead of charging over it.

As a bike thats not full size Enduro and closer to a pedal assist Bicycle I was very interested to find that while it hardly shot out from underneath you, the acceleration was sprightly, and clearly had enough torque with standard gearing to get up steep inclines that were loose and technical.
    But the thing that had me comfortable and immediately confident was the ergonomics and the fact that it had level foot pegs like a motorbike, not pedals with one foot in front of the other.
    It looked like it was going to be cramped but it felt just right. Even with my mate who's much taller than me he commented that it felt great and not small. Just very light

IMG_4844.JPG
    The suspension was very good too and handled the varying weight of the riders ranging between 65kg and 90kg without any bottoming from either end when ridden aggressively.
    The components are Mountain bike size standards.
    Peg mounting positions are able to be set in three different positions apparently the same as Honda XR's in the mounting design. Pivot Pegz came to mind there.
    Brakes were strong too
    A larger rear sprocket and longer chain is also available to give greater torque and that would be my first choice of upgrade at $100 cheap

IMG_4845.JPG IMG_4846.JPG IMG_4842.JPG

What I enjoyed most of all was the exciting feeling of wanting to exploring the limits further as it felt stable and razor sharp in turning and braking. In a switching, single track it would be very fast indeed and it had my brain buzzing where I could make one

As this bike was a test ride, brand new and not owned by me I took care to not damage anything or crash but the fun was almost too much to not try a little harder with each lap and thats what I love about this bike. It had more to offer than I had reached and thats standard fresh out of the box and un modified

I can't speak for everyone who had a go but everyone seemed to want to get back on it and have another turn.
    Would I get one with rego? Unlikely as I don't live inner city, but for threading peak hour traffic it would be good in slower traffic.
    We all played repeatedly for short goes for about an hour and it was at 67% charge when it was loaded to head for the TV's on grand final day.

IMG_4858.JPG
    Otherwise the smile says it all, and i want one in RED

BergDonk, ferals5, ToriMish and 5 others like this.
  7. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks fantastic - like the Stealth, but less money

But where could you ride it? Other than your own place

Legally I mean ...
  8. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Register one and hit the high country?
    Ron50 likes this.
  9. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1.

I was happy with the gearing: the bike had no difficulty climbing the steepest parts of the track and could loft the front over obstacles when needed. It felt stable at speed and seemed a quality product at a great price.

Thanks for hosting, Adam.
    OzCr0w likes this.
  10. OzCr0w

Oddometer:
    Well it seems that governed standard at 20km/h you could go anywhere without rego like a pushbike. Theres a wire that when cut gives full power. Put in a switch!
    But get caught ripping along a cycle path at 60km/h and the police will looking for you with red eyes. Kill a child riding his skateboard, and your really fucked

Get a rego version and you can go anywhere your motorbike is legal
    But can you actually legally ride single track with rego?

Remember these things are silent and attract far less attention than Staintune melodies in the bush and the perception is they are like more pushbikes than motorbikes.
    So there's a lot of scope for sideways staring at places to go and have fun and how to overcome the variable legalities, or to just stick with a rego version.

I can ride it at home. And around the local trails which are common land is where I have in mind also, as it just happens to be like an insanely long and deep dirt skate park, that goes for a few kays
    I don't want to trailer it anywhere personally so i'm best suited to a non rego version.
    Hoots and BergDonk like this.
  11. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer

Oddometer:
    These can be fully registered or recreationally registered in Victoria. Pretty neat hey.
    OzCr0w likes this.
  12. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks heaps for posting this information. Which dealer ran the demo for you?
    OzCr0w likes this.
  13. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rego version means you're breaking less laws if the unthinkable happens whilst riding single line - it'd be interesting to know if the tac would step up and cover medical fees for any victims?

Meanwhile, there are plenty of perfectly legal 4x4 tracks that'd be fun on a postie but amazing on something like this. VERY interesting
    Hoots and OzCr0w like this.
  14. OzCr0w

Oddometer:
    Hoots and ToriMish like this.
  15. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    Doesn't seem to be anything ground breaking there. Seems very similar specs to the stealth bikes.
    Price is good though.

Chinese cast/forged swingarm with a maximum load of 100kg(stealth are a max. of 120kg). Stay off the doubles.

Not for me at this stage. The Alta was something closer I think.
    I'll stick to my Turbo Levo.
  16. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being able to register it is a big step forward - if only stealth had bothered
  17. OzCr0w

Oddometer:
    After some further discussion with the local dealer I've discovered that the non-rego version can be upgraded at a later date with the bolt on bits required to get it road legal, should the need arise. They all come with a Vin plate i'm told but I didn't notice this so i'll double check out of interest

I'm not sure I could spend $7000- $15000 on a pedal assist mountain bike either.
    I'm simply not at home with pedals in the same way I am with this $5000 Sur-Ron, and starting to wonder at the advantage of having pedals at all on a powered bike.
  18. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you keep us updated on the vin plate? I can see a road legal electric dirt bike replacing my dinosaur - especially if it's a light hybrid.

For what it's worth, my $5 k pedal assisted emtb was the best $ I've spent in a very long time. Great fun, very versatile, and I ride it heaps more than my motorbikes.

Twice this week I've left the power off for a large part of my ride - not because I needed the range, just because I didn't need the motor. Then again, I blasted back up a track at full assist doing todays dad shuttle service - aka ride down with the kids, then motor back up to get the car.
    ToriMish, OzCr0w and bigborett like this.
  19. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. OzCr0w

Oddometer:
    i just had conversation regarding the rego and I got my wires crossed in the fact that they have 2 very slightly different registerable versions?!
    Long story short the non rego version is not able to be upgraded to rego just like a MX bike.
    As they are still new in the country the various dealers in each state are working through the red tape
    ACT is still jumping through some hoops and getting things worked out.
    Sorry for the confusion.

I think contact with the state specific dealer is the best way to get the low down and prices.
    From what I can gather once the Australian dealer network is better established they may increase in price.
    As show room stock is landed into whatever stores take them up whether that be Motorcycle dealers or Bicycle shops someone is going to be paying for a floor plan and that will be within the price a customer will be paying.

I'm getting a non-rego version locked in at the current price and should be ripping up the grass in a week or few depending where a new black one needs to come from.
    Man I can't wait