Electric Motion (EM) Trials Bikes

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by motobene, May 3, 2016.

1. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode the economy version of this trials bike:

...several times at Sooner Cup, and watched others ride the bike.

The economy model looks like the same core design, but the top model has the pricey suspension. The one I rode had economy Olle forks that topped out sometimes on fast unweights. I heard the top model has a clutch lever that is an on-off switch. You can roll the 'throttle' on and release the clutch for more impulse. The economy model has nothing there, so it disturbs the mind. Nowhere for the left index finger to rest!

I was struck riding the bike that the 'throttle' was much more controllable than I expected. I've watched a lot of kids having problems with whiskey throttle with their electrics, and I expected the same. From the first few motor pulses of cracking the 'throttle' open (OK, I'll stop with the quotes), to being wicked wide open, I found the bike will give you what you want, precisely.

To 'start' the bike you snick a rocker switch under a top frame rail to on. You year a click and an LED light comes on near the switch. Then there is an Off-Run-Off switch on the bars. That's it. Nothing whirs or runs until you crack the throttle, and then all you have is individual motor pulses that tack tack tack... the bike moves, then the pulses build to in interesting tone as you open the throttle.

There is a 2-map switch on the bars. I found the tame map to be fairly useless, as did a Novice-level rider, as it felt delayed and weak. The quicker map gives you a more direct feel to throttle response.

Battery life was about 4 hours. Plenty for an event. I could ride this thing and compete on it very comfortably up to upper-mid-level classes. For higher classes I'd want an engine and a clutch. I must say I was quite impressed, however. For most riding the EM was very adequate. The handling was neutral and good, and every worked as it should.

All test riders came back saying they were positively impressed except one, but he rode the loop with the map switch set to weenie mode. My wife rode the bike. She is used to a Beta 80. She said the lack of a clutch made her feel a little insecure, but my observation of her riding made me think with a little reprogramming time she may prefer the electric. No starting issues at all for her with an electric.

For quiet stealth riding, the electrics are the kings of the world! Imagine night riding into remote areas with LED lights! No one goes into most remote areas at night. Other than light splash seen at a distance, one would be indistinguishable from night hikers. Nice is being able to hear much better what's going on around you. If you stop and balance there is no noise at all.

Summer riding in the cool night, anyone? Night events on a lot right in the city? The possibilities are intriguing!

EM bikes are made in France in very low production quantities. Even the economy model is quite expensive at around $10k I think. Ryan Young said he sells every one he gets in and rarely has a demo top model available because they get snapped up. With better suspension and some semblance of a 'clutch', the EM be a great second-type bike with which to explore a whole new world.

http://www.electric-motion.fr/

I know few other details, but these electrics are definitely getting my attention.
    Serp, alpineboard and laser17 like this.
  2. K9SAR499

K9SAR499 I can make that!

Oddometer:
    I would like to see these in the states. It would make for a great stealth ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. motobene

Oddometer:
    They are in the states. RYP is the importer.
  4. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Cool, but I can't see paying a premium for one, unless internal combustion engines are outlawed. How about the weight and handling of bike, beyond the suspension comments?
  5. motobene

Oddometer:
    Ryan said it was about 160. It didn't feel heavy to me when I rode it.
    overlander likes this.
  6. Ryan seemed to love it when I was emailing him a while back about it. He's apparently been riding one that he held back from a delivery, sold that one to a customer, and is looking to keep another from a subsequent allocation. They apparently go pretty quickly, although where I've got no idea... still haven't seen one in the northeast.
  7. jeffs2200

jeffs2200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a buddy here in SanAntonio area who bought one a couple months ago. He got it from a dealer in the Austi area. It is the sport model with more power and better suspension. It is really a neat bike. It is his first trials bike and not having to worry about gears , clutch or stalling will be a big help. He can just concentrate on balance etc. I havE ridden it a little but will report back once I get a chance to hit some bigger obstacles on it.
    motobene likes this.
  8. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know of one in AZ. Need to add a tethered kill switch. Picking up a crashed bike a bumping the throttle can make for some dangerous moments.
  9. jeffs2200

jeffs2200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They come with a tethered kill switch.
  10. Harry Potter

Harry Potter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could these be like digital cameras where you buy one and 6 months later your bike is out dated?
  11. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are playing the "I have to have the latest of _______ game", you will be screwed no matter what.
    My digital camera is 6+ years old. Really no different than any camera you go out and buy today (in an apples to apples comparison of class and size).
    Trials bike progression (electric or not) is not moving at the pace where 6 months is out of date. You could see 6 years of production in some models with only little minor differences.
  12. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks for your review!

I got word from Ryan in June my 2016 EM Escape had arrived. I was home by July so he shipped her to me. The 1st 2016 EM Escape in America.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the Trials/Trail model with the larger battery, taller "trail" gearing, and the small seat. This one is about 180 lbs.

Very FUN on technical singletrack & VERY EASY to ride.

The Escape seems to be a Lite model with larger battery & seat. Taller gearing (11t CS) than the Sport (competition model with 9t CS), and no clutch lever. I ordered some parts over the weekend and they arrived today! Got the electronic clutch & trials gearing, but the "Sport" Map Harness was back ordered. The Lite & Escape get the "Trials 1" & "Trek" maps via the switch. The Sport model gets the "Trails 1" and the "Trials 2" maps. The Trials 2 map is supposedly the only map with 100% power available.

The marketing poop claims 125, 250, & 300 power mapping. The switch gives you a choice of 2. The replaceable map harness (Lite vs. Sport) determines which 2 maps are available at the switch.

With trail gearing & Trek map, the Escape can lift the front tire pretty easily, but SPLATS are not happening. Maybe with trials gearing & trials 2 mapping she will be splat-worthy. Plan to join PITS next year & compete in the old-fart-with-bad-knees class. ;-)

Installed the electronic clutch lever today. It works, but its kinda different. Just an ON/OFF switch. Its wired in series with the safety-tether switch, but the "engine braking" is quite different with throttle open vs closed with the clutch squeezed. Open & clutch squeeze is mild slowing or normal "engine braking.". Closed throttle with clutch squeezed feeling like I pressed the re-gen button on the right switch cluster. MUCH MORE engine braking until it stops.

Its the coolest night-ride toy a suburban guy near open space could ask for. ;-) The MTB world has the most incredible trail lights. Gloworm is the stuff I've gone with. OMFG, its SO BRIGHT!!!

Finally got a signed invoice with matching VIN # from Ryan. OHV green sticker is next!

Catfish ...
  13. Harry Potter

Harry Potter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thumbs up Catfish. Please keep us updated.
  14. motobene

Oddometer:
    Interesting!

I think the claim of "300 power" assumes a 300 has not spun up the flywheels and had all that stored energy dumped into the ground via a clutch. If you need to ride that way the current electrics are not for you. Most of us don't ride that way... at least not repeatedly.

Some day we will see spinning up of flywheel mass with a clutch. That will be a nice addition, but nothing comes for free. Range will suffer as a result of wasting power by heating up a clutch when slipping it. That will up the Ah requirement, adding weight and battery cost.
    laser17 likes this.
  15. Longboardr

Longboardr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode one Ryan brought to a school. Without a clutch it takes a different method getting over obstacles I could easily clear on a gas powered bike. I'm not overly great at throttle control when things get bumpy, but I make up with it with good clutch control. Without the clutch I found I got myself in trouble quickly.
  16. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Very cool

My kid has the OSET 16.0. The silent factor is awesome. We can ride around my HOA neighborhood and nobody gets upset. Id like to eventually get myself an adult sized electric dirt/trials bike for stealth riding in the woods near my house.
    m143 likes this.
  17. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I live in a townhouse community. I asked the Board if I could use common areas as long as I wasn't bothering anyone. I got the green light. I ride a '14 Sherco 3.0 ST. It is plenty quiet and will not upset the neighbors. Shoot, even the local kids, that have fallen in love with the bike, can't tell when I'm riding. As long as you're "turf friendly", there shouldn't be any reason to deny your use of the common areas. Now, if you have pompous, power hungry, ass-hats on the Board, you may be in for a rough ride.......YMMV.
    kerrman likes this.
  18. gu9cci

gu9cci Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Electric Motions are excellent bikes
    I have mine second season and have no issues with it
    I just ordered 17 Beta 300 4T
    If anyone is interested to buy EM from me let me know
  19. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:

Sorry, I'm just back from a little 11k-mile ride on my FZ07. Finally got to Barber for the Vintage Festival in October. WOW! Glad I finally went!

CA DMV finally accepted the signed invoice from Ryan Young Products, but the nonstandard VIN # and missing Engine # require CHP inspection & approval to use the VIN # as-is for required engine #. Appt is next Thursday. Then I should be able to finish the paperwork for a CA title & get an OHV green sticker.

Ryan was not able to get the Sport Map Harness I have been after since summer as he is NOT the USA importer anymore. <D'OH!!!> Apparently the Canadian importer is now the whole North America importer & has a few dealers set up already.

Very-fun technical trail bike as delivered. Glad I'm home & riding it again. Looking forward to the Sport gearing & power harness for trials competition though! :-)

Catfish ...
  20. MT 007

MT 007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bob is a great guy and has been importing the EMs for a few years here in Canada. I think he is just getting back from the EICMA today (according to facebook). He is also the Canadian Sherco distributor and all around good guy. I suppose I should disclose that Sherco sponsored me last year based on all the work I do to put on trials events locally.

Might be good to order one soon I heard a rumor we might be building a wall or something :).